• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Accuracy of Submission Status Information

8 posts in this topic

I recently sent an overnight package to NGC for ancient coin grading.  Marked the outside of the package EX as one of the two submissions inside was at that speed.  The other three items were expanded grade and weight.  

The tracking info from USPS indicated that the package was delivered to NGC.  NGC did not indicate that the package was received until nearly a week later.

I am confused, as the information about turnaround times indicates that the time in business days was estimated from the time that the package was delivered to NGC, not the time that the package was recorded.  I can understand that my submissions may have arrived during the summer fun show, but don't understand why it took until the next week for the Overnight USPS package which was properly marked outside with EX for Express to even be recorded.

The second issue is also confusing.  The three expanded grades are still showing as Grading/Encapsulation/Imaging.  Today is Saturday.  On Tuesday of this week, I "verified" the old NGC slab code and what do you know, the NEW expanded grade and weight, along with a new image of the slab, showed up.  So clearly, the coins had been reviewed, encapsulated and imaged enough to hit the verification system, while meanwhile, their status has not changed.  I must not understand something.

Is the shipping department the bottleneck?  Otherwise, why are the coins still showing as G/E/I when they were done enough to be visible in the verification system?

Just seems to me that if the coins were done early this past week, they could have been returned and I might already have them back.  I am sure that there is a reasonable explanation for this, and I understand that turnaround times are "just estimates and not guarantees."  Something still seems inaccurate. 

>>>https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/6056169-037/NGCAncients/

>>>

NGC Cert #
6056169-037
NGC Description
Constantine X, AD 1059-67 BYZANTINE EMPIRE AV Hist. Nomisma
NGC Grade
Ch AU Strike: 5/5 Surface: 4/5
Pedigree
rv Constantine X stg. obv Christ std.

>>>

Submission #6827486

Current Turnaround Times >  10 Days

Received: 7/17/23

Line Item

Coin Description

Grade

NGC Registry

Download Images

Constantine X, AD 1059-67 BYZANTINE EMPIRE AV Hist. Nomisma

NGC6056169-037_OBV@500x717.jpg

• Administrator

Hello! Carrier tracking may indicate that your submission has been received at our office, however it can still take a short amount of time to reflect within our online submission tracking. All packages received move into an intake process where the contents are inventoried and compared against the submission form as validation before moving forward into the grading process. Should there be any discrepancy encountered with an item itself, a missing or extra item, or any other concern for that matter, our customer service team will reach out for clarification accordingly. Please note, the intake process can take upwards of 7-10 business days before the order will reflect within online submission tracking. 

I am showing that your submission is still in the encapsulation stage and the status has not yet been updated. You should see this finalized soon. Once finalized, you will receive an email letting you know the submission is on its way back to you. 

Thank you for your response.  How do you explain then that the photo of the encapsulated items show up when you verify the prior submission number?  The coins have already been encapsulated for three or four business days already.  Please see the image attached to my first post.  Clearly, something is not correct with your tracking system...

That is the purpose of my question.  It seems to me that the coins have already been encapsulated and imaged and recorded...DAYS ago.  Either the tracking system is not correct or the verification of the NGC number is not accurate.  Both can't be true.

Please review again.

Hi.  I took this from the NGC website:

Turnaround Times Start When Submissions Are Delivered

Posted on 5/6/2021

Turnaround times begin when submissions arrive at our facility.

As demand for our expert and impartial services continues to grow, the Certified Collectibles Group® (CCG®) companies, including Numismatic Guaranty Corporation® (NGC®), Paper Money Guaranty® (PMG®), Certified Guaranty Company® (CGC®) and Certified Sports Guaranty® (CSG®), are constantly taking steps to improve the customer experience.

To provide greater transparency to customers, all CCG companies post current turnaround times to the Services & Fees page of their websites. These turnaround times now reflect the estimated time to complete a submission delivered to our facility today.

Previously, there was some confusion about when turnaround times started. Turnaround times now start from the day your package is delivered to our facility, NOT when your submission is entered into our system.

It was five days before my coins were even entered into your system.  For the express submission, the turnaround times has remained constant at five days, even though it took nine days until it was finished.  Similarly, for the expanded grade items, the turnaround times have remained constant at ten days, and my items have been at NGC since July 11 which, excluding the first day, was thirteen business days as of Friday and will be fourteen as of Monday.

How often are turnaround times updated?  

On 7/30/2023 at 5:47 PM, Fisk the Cat said:

These turnaround times now reflect the estimated time

Lots of people seem to complain about turnaround times. The key word here is estimated.

On 8/4/2023 at 11:46 PM, powermad5000 said:

Lots of people seem to complain about turnaround times. The key word here is estimated.

If you have nothing to add to the discussion other than your opinion about others having an opinion, please move along.  We are all aware of what the website says.  This is "Ask NGC", not "Ask powermad5000."  Thanks.

On 8/6/2023 at 1:31 PM, Benjamin88 said:

If you have nothing to add to the discussion other than your opinion about others having an opinion, please move along.  We are all aware of what the website says.  This is "Ask NGC", not "Ask powermad5000."  Thanks.

You TOTALLY nailed it. 
Clown just trolls and pipes in with USELESS nonsense in an attempt to make himself appear intelligent while we ALL know he adds NOTHING to conversation. Most of these yard dogs FAILED reading comprehension and will deflect MOST questions onto themselves with total irrelevancy of topic. 
ie: "Well I have" or "I seen" or I own" etc etc. When the smart ones know these clowns own NOTHING. They just make things up. 

Well NGC going to have to look at the clowns on Forum who continually attempt to lure others away from their grading, and valuations. 
GL to you.