• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who can tell me what is special about this 1918 S Buffalo Nickel? Do you know? It makes a difference in value.
1 1

31 posts in this topic

Been long time but I used to collect Buffalo nickels seriously back in the days but I sold off my Buffalo collection long while back haven’t looked back since but I used to study the series a lot … I’m little Rusty here with Buffalo nickel series been a good 16-17 years since I bought/sold a Buffalo nickel 

1918-S is a scarcer date early year Buffalo nickel if I remember correctly  … your’s grades out to be VF to VF+ I’d say it’s worth anywhere $40- $75 to the right buyer (these are just estimated I didn’t really look into the pricing on current market today)  …. Higher prices are seen for Gem graded Buffalo nickels more in Grades MS64 up to MS66 is pretty scarce to find in good high grade … is there anything really special about it ? Not from what I see in photos… there is 1918/7 Overdate Buffalo nickel but that was a 1918-D and not the S 

On 7/27/2023 at 3:56 AM, Jason Abshier said:

Been long time but I used to collect Buffalo nickels seriously back in the days but I sold off my Buffalo collection long while back haven’t looked back since but I used to study the series a lot … I’m little Rusty here with Buffalo nickel series been a good 16-17 years since I bought/sold a Buffalo nickel 

1918-S is a scarcer date early year Buffalo nickel if I remember correctly  … your’s grades out to be VF to VF+ I’d say it’s worth anywhere $40- $75 to the right buyer (these are just estimated I didn’t really look into the pricing on current market today)  …. Higher prices are seen for Gem graded Buffalo nickels more in Grades MS64 up to MS66 is pretty scarce to find in good high grade … is there anything really special about it ? Not from what I see in photos… there is 1918/7 Overdate Buffalo nickel but that was a 1918-D and not the S 

Jason thanks for the response. A 1918 S in VF XF is worth $150-$250.00. This one is an FS 401 Variety called a 2 Feathers. The head dress is supposed to show a 3rd feather tip between the neck line and the other long feathers. Due to late stage die erosion these details were left off some coins. This variety adds value to the coin as much as $150 or more over non FS 401 2 Feather coins in any grade. It is a verified attributed variety at all TPGs such as ANACS, PCGS and NGC.

Edited by Mike Meenderink

On 7/27/2023 at 9:59 AM, Mike Meenderink said:

Jason thanks for the response. A 1918 S in VF XF is worth $200-$400.00. This one is an FS 401 Variety called a 2 Feathers. The head dress is supposed to show a 3rd feather tip between the neck line and the other long feathers. Due to late stage die erosion these details were left off some coins. This variety adds value to the coin as much as $150 over non FS 401 coins in any grade. It is a verified attributed variety at all TPGs such as ANACS, PCGS and NGC.

You’re correct I long forgotten about the 2 feather variety I wasn’t looking good enough at your picture …thanks for correcting that 

267BC8CF-E9ED-4C43-84A6-B52D83F755F1.jpeg

When I search online (usually eBay) for these coins I strictly look for NON DEALER sellers with crappy or small pictures and wrong or bad descriptions. Sometimes I look for "lots" that layman collectors are selling. Many sellers do not know of varieties or attributed errors and some even post key date coins in lot groups. I look carefully and examine these posts. I have been successful in cherry picking many many rarer key date and variety coins in this manner. Its addicting. 

On 7/27/2023 at 7:40 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Did you check HA or GC ?

Not usually since the sellers there are a bit more savvy. I'm looking for those that are in a rush to sell or have no clue about what they have. I give no quarter for those that refuse to educate themselves and believe they do not deserve these coins. So I snipe them. Here's a few recent examples: 1- 1854 Half Dime AU58 Ebay less than $40 2- 1908 Barber Dime MS63 eBay $40 3-1913 T1 Buffalo MS64 Ebay $43.00 4- 1951 D Washington FS 501 RPM Variety MS65 eBay $23 5- 1892 Indian Head MS 63 RB $17 eBay. I have many, many more...

1854 Half Dime AU 53.jpg

1908 D Barber 10c.png

1913 Type 1 Buffalo 5c MS 65+.jpg

1951 D 25c FS-501 RPM Variety 2.jpg

1892 Indian Head 1c.jpg

On 7/27/2023 at 10:34 AM, Mike Meenderink said:

When I search online (usually eBay) for these coins I strictly look for NON DEALER sellers with crappy or small pictures and wrong or bad descriptions. Sometimes I look for "lots" that layman collectors are selling. Many sellers do not know of varieties or attributed errors and some even post key date coins in lot groups. I look carefully and examine these posts. I have been successful in cherry picking many many rarer key date and variety coins in this manner. Its addicting. 

you’re right again there’s still some good stuff to be found on on eBay even Facebook market place local sales and so on ,  if one takes time to learn and look for it … I haven’t collected any US coins for long while I mostly focus my time on German coinage and Exonumia 

This 1918-S is a "two feather" example and certainly well worth the $21 you stated you paid for it in your "Latest Acquisition" post. However, the dull and rough appearance of the surfaces suggests that it has been chemically treated in some way and would likely receive a "details" grade at a grading service.

Although there have been other instances of "cherrypicking" from dealers on Ebay, notably as I recall a rare original "Washington Before Boston" medal, I prefer to be able to examine coins that I'm buying in-person beforehand. I have cherrypicked varieties from dealers at coin shows, as well as at smaller coin auctions where sometimes the seller and many of the buyers aren't numismatically very savvy.

On 7/27/2023 at 8:19 AM, Sandon said:

This 1918-S is a "two feather" example and certainly well worth the $21 you stated you paid for it in your "Latest Acquisition" post. However, the dull and rough appearance of the surfaces suggests that it has been chemically treated in some way and would likely receive a "details" grade at a grading service.

Although there have been other instances of "cherrypicking" from dealers on Ebay, notably as I recall a rare original "Washington Before Boston" medal, I prefer to be able to examine coins that I'm buying in-person beforehand. I have cherrypicked varieties from dealers at coin shows, as well as at smaller coin auctions where sometimes the seller and many of the buyers aren't numismatically very savvy.

Sandon this coin has been soaked in ice cold vinegar for 30 days with a cold distilled water rinse. i knew this when I bought it . It will hopefully straight grade. If not its still worth having and encapsulating.

Special is a somewhat subjective term, to me there is nothing "special" about this coin.   Much like the floating roof Lincoln memorial cents this is just a product of an overused die which has been the recipient of the good old pump and dump.   somewhere along the way some dealer(s) promoted the heck out of this so that they could market and sell what is essentially worth very little over face value for a premium.

Your example looks to have VF details but the surfaces do not look at all original and I have doubts that it would receive a straight grade.

This coin was restored I knew that ...We will see...the pure white vinegar long soak at 36 degrees F has been scientifically shown to remove tarnish only from 75% copper 25% nickel coins with no damage to the surface.  The surface is left as it would be without the staining good or bad. No loss of good metal just removes oxidized surface contamination. No pitting. Very gentle acidic reaction targeting oxidization only. Now that being said the reason this coin was restored was to verify the variety and enhance the details. The details of which are not exactly in the MS range so...I really didn't care if it straight grades or not I just want it holdered with a 2 Feathers Variety designation. It does not look bad in hand it looks like a 105 year old coin. Decent details and pleasing coloring ( impaired luster but aren't most VF XF coins luster impaired anyway?) sooo.... Its worth $350-$600 depending on what Details grade it gets or Straight grade it gets. Don't worry I'm not advocating cleaning coins but... I do advocate for finding, buying and grading ANY variety or attributed error coins in any reasonable condition cleaned or not. 

On 7/27/2023 at 12:44 PM, Coinbuf said:

Special is a somewhat subjective term, to me there is nothing "special" about this coin.   Much like the floating roof Lincoln memorial cents this is just a product of an overused die which has been the recipient of the good old pump and dump.   somewhere along the way some dealer(s) promoted the heck out of this so that they could market and sell what is essentially worth very little over face value for a premium.

Your example looks to have VF details but the surfaces do not look at all original and I have doubts that it would receive a straight grade.

Cool you can just ignore all the high value hottest market selling coins like varieties, errors and key dates since it's all just hype for you. More for me...

On 7/28/2023 at 11:28 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

This coin was restored I knew that ...We will see...the pure white vinegar long soak at 36 degrees F has been scientifically shown to remove tarnish only from 75% copper 25% nickel coins with no damage to the surface.  The surface is left as it would be without the staining good or bad. No loss of good metal just removes oxidized surface contamination. No pitting. Very gentle acidic reaction targeting oxidization only. Now that being said the reason this coin was restored was to verify the variety and enhance the details. The details of which are not exactly in the MS range so...I really didn't care if it straight grades or not I just want it holdered with a 2 Feathers Variety designation. It does not look bad in hand it looks like a 105 year old coin. Decent details and pleasing coloring ( impaired luster but aren't most VF XF coins luster impaired anyway?) sooo.... Its worth $350-$600 depending on what Details grade it gets or Straight grade it gets. Don't worry I'm not advocating cleaning coins but... I do advocate for finding, buying and grading ANY variety or attributed error coins in any reasonable condition cleaned or not. 

I have to ask Mike, Why do you sound like you are used car salesman trying to sell us on this coin ? We all know what the coin is. I think you are asking a bit much but now days who knows.  

Edited by J P M

On 7/29/2023 at 4:28 AM, J P M said:

I have to ask Mike, Why do you sound like you are used car salesman trying to sell us on this coin ? We all know what the coin is. I think you are asking a bit much but now days who knows.  

He is hoping to perpetuate the pump and dump so he can off load this for a profit, which given the irrational desire for this variety I have no doubt he will.

On 7/28/2023 at 8:28 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

Your post shows a fair amount of misinformation about cleaning, grading, and pricing of coins.   Yes one doesn't expect to see luster at the lower circulated grades, but that is from circulation not from a chemical bath.    And this nonsense that vinegar only removes tarnish is just that nonsense, toning is bonded to the surface of the coin it cannot just be washed away.   When you use chemicals to remove toning (or whatever you removed with your vinegar bath) you will also remove some of the surface metal.   Your photos obviously show that the coin's surfaces are unnatural and only Joe's basement slabbing service is going to miss or disregard that.

Your prices would be in the ballpark for an unimpaired example, but not for a details graded example which will sell for far less to any knowledgeable collector.   And in fact your entire posts have been all about advocating for cleaning coins.

On 7/29/2023 at 4:28 AM, J P M said:

I'm not trying to sound like a car salesman trying to sell the coin. I am just explaining why in my opinion a coin like this still has value and is worth encapsulating cleaned or not. In my opinion the coin is a nice example for the year.  

On 7/29/2023 at 9:06 AM, Coinbuf said:

He is hoping to perpetuate the pump and dump so he can off load this for a profit, which given the irrational desire for this variety I have no doubt he will.

Your post shows a fair amount of misinformation about cleaning, grading, and pricing of coins.   Yes one doesn't expect to see luster at the lower circulated grades, but that is from circulation not from a chemical bath.    And this nonsense that vinegar only removes tarnish is just that nonsense, toning is bonded to the surface of the coin it cannot just be washed away.   When you use chemicals to remove toning (or whatever you removed with your vinegar bath) you will also remove some of the surface metal.   Your photos obviously show that the coin's surfaces are unnatural and only Joe's basement slabbing service is going to miss or disregard that.

Your prices would be in the ballpark for an unimpaired example, but not for a details graded example which will sell for far less to any knowledgeable collector.   And in fact your entire posts have been all about advocating for cleaning coins.

You obviously know everything about nothing. I have no interest in selling this coin to anyone here. I also did not clean this coin I bought it already cleaned. Also coins are dipped (Ezest) all the time in even stronger acids and straight grade ALL THE TIME. Coins are also restored or conserved everyday and then receive straight grades. Oxidation can be removed without taking good metal. Im putting it in an NGC holder just to trigger you more. You better hope it does not straight grade or you'll look stupid...well I'll be nice... more less smart... while me I don't really care.

On 7/29/2023 at 12:47 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

You obviously know everything about nothing. I have no interest in selling this coin to anyone here. I also did not clean this coin I bought it already cleaned. Also coins are dipped (Ezest) all the time in even stronger acids and straight grade ALL THE TIME. Coins are also restored or conserved everyday and then receive straight grades. Oxidation can be removed without taking good metal. Im putting it in an NGC holder just to trigger you more. You better hope it does not straight grade or you'll look stupid...well I'll be nice... more less smart... while me I don't really care.

...concerning the methods u mentioned, the odds r most likely 90/10 against straight grading including ur coin...but there is only one way to find out....

YOU ARE ALL A POMPOUS BUNCH OF BLOWHARDS. READ THE POST. FROM THE TOP. THIS IS ABOUT A 2 FEATHERS VARIETY I PURCHASED ALREADY CLEANED> THE SELLER WAS UP FRONT ABOUT IT> THE DETAILS ARE NOT AND WERE NOT EVER GREAT. THE COIN WAS SEVERELY TARNISHED. THE OWNER WANTED TO CONFIRM THE 2 FEATHER VARIETY AND CLEANED THE COIN IN AN 7% ACETIC ACID BATH AT 36F FOR 27 DAYS. NOW ITS NO LONGER BLACK AND YOU CAN SEE THE VARIETY AND SOME DETAIL. PLEASE IT'S JUST A NICKEL YOU POMPUS ASSES. SHEESH

On 7/29/2023 at 4:46 PM, ldhair said:

You have much to learn. The folks you are talking with here understand what the proper way to conserve coins is. It's clear that you do not understand anything about it. Everything you have posted is just flat wrong. If you don't want the truth, I don't really care. Soaking a nickel in vinegar for 30 days is as stupid as it gets.

THE NEXT SUPPOSED EXPERT COIN COP THAT TALKS SMACK ON MY POSTS TRYING TO BE SOME KIND OF TEACHER WILL BE TRIGGERED AS WELL...

On 7/29/2023 at 11:59 AM, Coinbuf said:

Lol, sorry to disappoint you but I'm not triggered, just laughing at your use of a clickbait thread title and the amount of misinformation you are spreading.   Yes coins are dipped in diluted acidic solutions like Ezest and yes they do receive straight grades that is correct.   However, those coins are not soaked for long periods, that is how you end up with a burned, porous, lifeless surface like the coin you are so overjoyed to own.   I don't know where you got your metallurgy degree from but I suggest that you ask for your money back, you cannot remove an oxidation layer (toning) without removing a very tiny amount of the coin's surface.   Every time you dip a coin a microscopic layer of the surface is removed and the flow lines are altered.   When done properly a few times it may not be noticeable to someone that has no idea what an original surface looks like.   But done repeatedly the surfaces become so altered that you end up with what you have, a burned and lifeless coin.

If you're not selling the coin then why are you so preoccupied with trying to convince everyone here of the value?   Modesty goes further than bragging.

Here is a question for you, as you say you didn't do the damage to this coin how is it that you know exactly what was done to doctor this coin?   You describe the process in detail in your post above and claim it is "safe" how do you know all this if you didn't do the doctoring yourself.   Can you provide some legitimate links to scientific studies (not garbage you tube links) that prove soaking a coin in "pure white vinegar long soak at 36 degrees F" is scientifically safe and sound?   Providing some actual proof of your claim would go a long way to establish some credibility, otherwise as said above you just sound like a used car salesman.

REALLY NOT TRIGGERED ? DO YOU ALWAYS DIATRIBE WITH SUCH BLIND IDIOCRACY?

On 7/30/2023 at 2:09 AM, Mike Meenderink said:

THE NEXT SUPPOSED EXPERT COIN COP THAT TALKS SMACK ON MY POSTS TRYING TO BE SOME KIND OF TEACHER WILL BE TRIGGERED AS WELL...

REALLY NOT TRIGGERED ? DO YOU ALWAYS DIATRIBE WITH SUCH BLIND IDIOCRACY?

On 7/30/2023 at 2:00 AM, Mike Meenderink said:

YOU ARE ALL A POMPOUS BUNCH OF BLOWHARDS. READ THE POST. FROM THE TOP. THIS IS ABOUT A 2 FEATHERS VARIETY I PURCHASED ALREADY CLEANED> THE SELLER WAS UP FRONT ABOUT IT> THE DETAILS ARE NOT AND WERE NOT EVER GREAT. THE COIN WAS SEVERELY TARNISHED. THE OWNER WANTED TO CONFIRM THE 2 FEATHER VARIETY AND CLEANED THE COIN IN AN 7% ACETIC ACID BATH AT 36F FOR 27 DAYS. NOW ITS NO LONGER BLACK AND YOU CAN SEE THE VARIETY AND SOME DETAIL. PLEASE IT'S JUST A NICKEL YOU POMPUS ASSES. SHEESH

Mike relax , You are not getting the point. A lot of people come on trying to get approval for a coin. The members who have commented are very knowledgeable numismatics who try to give honest answers. We also try to stop misinformation before a new person picks it up thinking it is ok when it is not. I have been around for a while and I learn something new every day. I hope I never stop finding new information.

NOBODY ASKED FOR THEIR OPINIONS NOBODY ASKED THEM TO OPINE ON AND ON ABOUT "PROPER CLEANING" AND "IM SO STUPID" AND "YOUVE GOT A LOT TO LEARN" THEY NEED TO GET OVER THEMSELVES