• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a 1921 matte proof peace dollar?
1 1

20 posts in this topic

On 7/25/2023 at 12:00 AM, Melior Invenidiste said:

Nice square rims, and the color.

IMG_4386.jpeg

I don't recall there ever being any "Matte" proofs in the entire Peace Dollar series. I believe what you have is either a counterfeit or altered 1921 (P) Peace Dollar. The same goes for the 1922  (P) "Matte" proof Peace Dollar from your previous post. Compare both of your coins to my genuine NGC graded MS 64 1923 (P) Peace Dollar that I attached to your previous post as a reference.

On 7/25/2023 at 12:50 AM, Tony Follis said:

I don't recall there ever being any "Matte" proofs in the entire Peace Dollar series.

In fact, there are extremely rare "satin finish" proofs and "sandblasted with antique finish special strikes" of the 1921 Peace dollar. 1921 $1 Peace, Satin Finish (Proof) Peace Dollar - PCGS CoinFacts1921 $1 Peace, Sandblasted w/ Antique Finish (Special Strike) Peace Dollar - PCGS CoinFacts.  There are also extremely rare "matte finish" proofs of the 1922 Peace dollar in the high relief style of the 1921s. 1922 $1 Matte Finish, High Relief (Proof) Peace Dollar - PCGS CoinFacts The items posted by the OP here and in his other recent topic aren't examples of any of them.

Maybe from the time you join this site you need to wait 1-2 weeks and/or post to other threads 5-10 times before you can create your own thread ?

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 7/25/2023 at 6:28 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Nothing new there, I can't think of one coin the OP has posted that was what they claimed it to be. All counterfeits and non-errors.

OP, where are you getting these? Your workshop?

I was looking through old threads and the OP seems to be similar to a former user called RichieRich2020.

The "nice square rims and the color" are what started screaming counterfeit at me right away. I am sure the ones @Sandon referred to in his comment are not only rare, but are all locked up in collections somewhere, not out in the wild. 

On 7/25/2023 at 7:35 PM, RWB said:

The pictured coin was not struck on a medal press, was not sandblasted at the Philadelphia Mint, has probably never been in Philadelphia, and could not tell a Philly cheese-steak from a Boston barnacle.

I do think it was part of the $500 that Gazzo The Loan Shark gave to Rocky for training expenses. xD

On 7/26/2023 at 8:52 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I do think it was part of the $500 that Gazzo The Loan Shark gave to Rocky for training expenses. xD

Eagles v. Patriots. Week 1. 

On 7/26/2023 at 9:52 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Flying squirrels don't need training.  ;)

True story...one of my astronomy buddies uncles is in both ROCKY (unpaid) and TRADING PLACES (got $25) in the blue-collar, fish-market areas.

The guy who tossed Rocky an orange when he is running to the "Rocky" theme -- that's him.

Intro to TP when they show someone cutting fish -- him again. xD

On 7/25/2023 at 8:28 AM, Sandon said:

In fact, there are extremely rare "satin finish" proofs and "sandblasted with antique finish special strikes" of the 1921 Peace dollar. 1921 $1 Peace, Satin Finish (Proof) Peace Dollar - PCGS CoinFacts1921 $1 Peace, Sandblasted w/ Antique Finish (Special Strike) Peace Dollar - PCGS CoinFacts.  There are also extremely rare "matte finish" proofs of the 1922 Peace dollar in the high relief style of the 1921s. 1922 $1 Matte Finish, High Relief (Proof) Peace Dollar - PCGS CoinFacts The items posted by the OP here and in his other recent topic aren't examples of any of them.

PCGS has some of it wrong. Maybe they can't read, or are trying to co-opt the original research of others, or maybe they are merely joking. None of the Peace dollars mentioned below were intended for public distribution.

A satin proof was made by using new dies in a medal press. That's it. No further treatment.

A sandblast proof was made by using new dies in a medal press (like a satin proof), and then sandblasting the coin much as was done with medals.

There are NO matte Peace dollars. (Matte refers to sandblasted dies used to make proof Lincoln and Buffalo early proofs.)

Some 1921, 1922 HR and 1922 MR circulation pieces were antiqued like medals. These are not "Special Strikes," but were given special medallic treatment in an attempt to display the design to it's optimum artistic effect for Treasury and Mint officials.

Added ---- Back in the early 1960s, when sandblast 1921 and 1922 HR proof Peace dollars become more widely known, unscrupulous people sandblasted a few well struck 1921s and normal low relief 1922s for the purpose of selling them as legitimate proofs. Treat any certification from that period as rubbish.

All 1922 HR and 1922 MR coins, except proofs,  were from manufacturing tests made on normal toggle presses. They should be designated as such and not merely as "special strikes" or other nebulous terms.