• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How rare is my 1969-D Lincoln Memorial Penny and how much could it be worth?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Earlier this week, while getting a few rolls of pennies from my local bank, I stumbled across what I thought at first was a normal 1969-D Lincoln Memorial Penny. That was until I took a look at it's reverse side and found something extraordinary. Immediately I noticed the building's "floating roof" error but upon further inspection, I discovered the initials "FG" are missing. Can anyone tell me how rare this coin is and how much it's worth?

IMG_20230720_010711299_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20230720_010753630_HDR~2.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

What Just Bob said plus the fact they are no longer being recognized by the graders as they are not really
an error and are too common.  
Theoretically they can appear on any year memorial cent so the year should not really matter. 

On 7/20/2023 at 12:23 PM, Coinbuf said:

As a result you might be able to sell this coin on sites like eBay or social media for a few bucks assuming you can sleep at night doing so.

Since you have been collecting cents for so long you have probably seen this floating roof cent numerous times, so it's not worth anything extra.  But to a newer collector who has not encountered one yet and would like to have one I don't think selling one to them for a few bucks is really out of line.

On 7/20/2023 at 1:35 PM, EagleRJO said:

Since you have been collecting cents for so long you have probably seen this floating roof cent numerous times, so it's not worth anything extra.  But to a newer collector who has not encountered one yet and would like to have one I don't think selling one to them for a few bucks is really out of line.

Everyone has to decide for themselves what price to put on whatever ethics and morals they may have.  Personally I  put a higher value than a few bucks on mine, but I think I'm more the anomaly than the norm in today's world.   

On 7/20/2023 at 6:45 PM, Coinbuf said:

Everyone has to decide for themselves what price to put on whatever ethics and morals they may have.  Personally I  put a higher value than a few bucks on mine, but I think I'm more the anomaly than the norm in today's world.   

I agree that ethics and morals should be placed above all else.  However, it seems we will have to just agree to disagree that selling a floating roof cent for a few bucks, as noted by Bob from recent sales, compromises that.

https://coins.thefuntimesguide.com/floating-roof-penny-value/?expand_article=1

Now selling something like that as more than just a novelty worth a few bucks, let alone as an extraordinary error or something worth anywhere near the $900 mentioned, is a different story.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 7/22/2023 at 12:56 AM, VKurtB said:

Wowser's! What evil happened to the OP's cardboard 2x2? Did a cat bite it out?

Looks like a home brewed hack job

On 7/25/2023 at 7:40 PM, EagleRJO said:

Looks like a home brewed hack job

Cardboard from professionally laundered shirts and Saran Wrap? What?