• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 lincoln penny weighs 3.7 grams
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I am not seeing any letters above the date on this coin. That is being referred to here now as a form of pareidolia. The only letters above I see are the motto IN GOD WE TRUST. A 1972 D Lincoln Memorial Cent should weigh near 3.11g. What we do not know is what kind of scale you are using, whether or not the scale is calibrated properly, or if the scale is working properly to begin with. It is hard for us on here to go by the weights some of the people post on here due to their usage of cheap pocket scales that are not accurate to begin with.

Most likely you have a normal circulated 1972 D Lincoln cent worth its face value.

I see what looks like an edge strike from a reeded coin above the date which you might mistake for a capital "E" if you haven't seen that before.

And has your scale been calibrated with a known calibration weight?  What does it give you as the weight for a shiny nickel?

Edited by EagleRJO

You should really be weighing your coins to at least two decimal points, one is not accurate enough for coins.
Your cent is probably from a slightly thicker planchet, the same as there are thin planchets, there are thick planchets.  
Also those are not letters above the date, they are circulation marks.

There is an easy way to see if the scale is even in the ballpark. Weigh several other pre 1982 cents. If they all weigh 3.5 the scale is off. If they all weigh about 3.1 the scale is close to being correct. As said, it's best to use a scale that will weigh to at least two decimal points.

I used to reload my own ammo and I got one of the older Hornady scales for measuring powder. That is the best scale Ive ever owned. Its very accurate and very easy to calibrate with the weight that comes with it. It weighs to 3 decimal points. If you can get hold of one of those, they are great scales for weighing coins. I very rarely weigh a coin but when I do I use them. Last time I weighed a coin was to help confirm a quarter with a missing clad layer. Thats been over a year ago. 

The OP did not answer what the name of the scale that is being used, whether or not it is properly calibrated, or has done any tests to confirm if it is working properly or not. The OP's response was just that the scale is correct. I will not go into the thick planchet arena without an accurate weighing which I do not think we are going to get. I am sticking with that it is a normal Lincoln within mint tolerance for weight.

@Hoghead515, should my Amston ever fail I will keep that in mind. That's awesome that it goes to three decimal places! (thumbsu

If the scale checks out as accurate a 3.7 grams cent would be fare enough out of spec to be worth a premium.  Unfortunately I think the condition of the coin would reduce that premium.

It really should be weighed with a decent scale that has at least 0.01g accuracy and calibrated with two (2) weights made for that purpose (e.g. 10g & 20g calibration weights).  But if you at least check the weight of a shiny newer nickel (5.000g per the mint) it should give you a rough indication of accuracy.