• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982 penny
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Im trying not to be naive but would rather check with some people who actually know what they are talking about do I have something on my hands here? Im back and forth on the date size. 1982 penny d stamp. Weighs 3 grams. It also has a lot of red tones that aren’t showing in the pictures provided.  I already added to many pictures but will try to add that one as well. Thanks for taking a look :)

IMG_0423.jpeg

IMG_0427.jpeg

IMG_0405.jpeg

The small date 82 d copper is the is the valuable one. The large date coppers are very common. You would have better chances of hitting the powerball than finding a 82 d small date copper. 

On 7/19/2023 at 10:07 PM, Hoghead515 said:

The small date 82 d copper is the is the valuable one. The large date coppers are very common. You would have better chances of hitting the powerball than finding a 82 d small date copper. 

Many don't realize that and are following the YT hype, and driving themselves nuts (or "NVTS" (:), searching through bags of cents looking for that winning lottery ticket.

On 7/19/2023 at 9:07 PM, Hoghead515 said:

The small date 82 d copper is the is the valuable one.

Actually, the small date 82 D Bronze Transitional is the valuable one and is determined by its planchet weight as it was supposed to be zinc and weigh 2.5g, but was struck with a leftover bronze planchet after the transition to the zinc planchets and should weigh somewhere around 3.08g-3.11g. You can bet all the 1982 D small dates that make it onto this forum will be the 82 D small date Zinc with a weight of 2.5g. Since the OP's coin is a 1982 D Large Date Bronze, it is over the 3g mark (should weigh 3.11g). I noted the OP's scale does not go to hundredths of grams, so I am sure the weight is within mint tolerance as the scale would not display the hundredths digit of say 3.09g and display it as 3.0g. We all know in this hobby a scale that weighs to two decimal places is a necessity.