• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Summer F.U.N. 2023 rant

20 posts in this topic

It’s just sick to have a “no cash” rule at a convention about cash. But it is the trend. It prevents employee theft.  ANA Phoenix was the same. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 7/17/2023 at 2:00 PM, VKurtB said:

It’s just sick to have a “no cash” rule at a convention about cash. But it is the trend. It prevents employee theft.  ANA Phoenix was the same. 

How does it prevent theft ?

On 7/17/2023 at 11:33 PM, powermad5000 said:

I don't need Venmo or Google Pay or whatever the newest ridiculous cash substitute is to pay for something....CASH!!!!! CAAASSSSHHHHH!!!!!!!

by the way these things do not work on a flip phone and i refuse to get an I Phone r equivalent.  I work on computers all day and the last thing i want to do when i am done for the day is to bury my head in a !@#$$ STUPID  phone!!!  I refuse to call them smart phone because they are making people stupid!!  AND by the way what ever happened to  "THIS NOTE IS GOOD FOR ALL DEBTS, PUBLIC AND PRIVATE

On 7/18/2023 at 1:09 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I prevent theft by not giving a .........My Credit Card!  that is how i have never had my identity stolen it stays at home until i need it for sure.

A business has the right to set the rules. They don't have to take cash or credit cards. They can take only live chickens if they wish. 

On 7/17/2023 at 1:00 PM, VKurtB said:

I agree. Cash is hard to control. Employee theft is a major deal. It can kill a business. If you have a lot of workers that handle cash, there will be theft. I can't think of a way to control a parking lot worker taking cash as payment. The right person could have fun with that. 

In today's world, not having cash and a credit card in your pocket can make things really tough.  

On 7/18/2023 at 6:36 AM, JT2 said:

AND by the way what ever happened to  "THIS NOTE IS GOOD FOR ALL DEBTS, PUBLIC AND PRIVATE

Apparently, that now is about as good as "REDEEMABLE IN GOLD ON DEMAND AT THE UNITED STATES TREASURY, OR IN GOLD OR LAWFUL MONEY AT ANY FEDERAL RESERVE BANK"

I could only imaging bringing that bill into a bank and insisting that I want my gold! :roflmao:

On 7/18/2023 at 7:12 AM, ldhair said:

A business has the right to set the rules. They don't have to take cash or credit cards. They can take only live chickens if they wish. 

They could take only live chickens, but I doubt with that as payment they would be doing much business. If a business is smart, though, they would accept as many forms of payment as possible (not that I like those other forms). I do know there are a few businesses around where I live that are starting to go back to cash payments as the favored payment method (and I hope that continues). There is a gas station by me that gives cash paying customers $0.10 off per gallon of gas if you pay with cash. I always do but I was curious as to why, and when I asked the attendant about it, he stated it is because the credit card companies are charging the merchant "processing and transaction" fees every time a customer uses their credit card at the pump. When I asked him why they don't just pass it on to the customer, he said they do, but he said those fees are starting to get out of hand and if he passes the full fee along to the customers, his price per gallon will end up being the highest in the community and he will lose customers that will go elsewhere to find a lower price.

On 7/18/2023 at 12:09 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Simply walking away with proceeds. You do read news, right? "Retail embezzlement" is an epidemic.

On 7/18/2023 at 10:29 AM, powermad5000 said:

I could only imaging bringing that bill into a bank and insisting that I want my gold! 

That was EXPLICITLY repealed in 1933. In fact, ALL Gold Certificates were called in for destruction.

On 7/18/2023 at 7:49 AM, ldhair said:

I agree. Cash is hard to control. Employee theft is a major deal. It can kill a business. If you have a lot of workers that handle cash, there will be theft. I can't think of a way to control a parking lot worker taking cash as payment. The right person could have fun with that. 

In today's world, not having cash and a credit card in your pocket can make things really tough.  

I've never run into any place that doesn't take DEBIT cards, and there is no interest charged by debit cards. I cary two debit cards and two credit cards, and I pay off the credit cards before their due dates. I COLLECT interest (and dividends, and capital gains); I no longer PAY interest. The day that happened was my personal "Independence Day".

On 7/18/2023 at 9:12 PM, 寂静音无 said:

See if there's a law that makes it a crime to refuse to accept cash, and in my country it's a crime to refuse to accept cash and you can prosecute him

There is no such law here. “No cash allowed” is becoming a standard for convention halls and exhibit halls in the U.S. I think it’s ridiculous, but it is what it is. I expect it to be the same next month in Pittsburgh. I have asked the ANA Board to push back HARD against such a rule. But the staff says all convention centers are moving that way. 

The problem is getting worse than you think. In some parking garages in my area, you can't pay with cash or a physical debit or credit card.  You have to access your account through a smart phone, which I don't own and don't want. On the one occasion where I had to park in one of them, I was fortunately accompanied by a friend who had a smart phone.

While U.S. currency is "legal tender for all debts, public and private", there is no pre-existing debt when one goes to purchase goods or services, so the vendor can legally refuse to deal with you unless you pay in the specified manner.  I've read that some localities have enacted ordinances outlawing the refusal of cash for small purchases, but the U.S. government probably prefers the trend away from cash, which may make tax evasion more difficult. 

On 7/18/2023 at 10:41 PM, Sandon said:

The problem is getting worse than you think. In some parking garages in my area, you can't pay with cash or a physical debit or credit card.  You have to access your account through a smart phone, which I don't own and don't want. On the one occasion where I had to park in one of them, I was fortunately accompanied by a friend who had a smart phone.

While U.S. currency is "legal tender for all debts, public and private", there is no pre-existing debt when one goes to purchase goods or services, so the vendor can legally refuse to deal with you unless you pay in the specified manner.  I've read that some localities have enacted ordinances outlawing the refusal of cash for small purchases, but the U.S. government probably prefers the trend away from cash, which may make tax evasion more difficult. 

The entire nation of Switzerland is struggling with this very issue now. There are serious people trying to eliminate cash, and others pushing back hard. Harrisburg, PA uses an app called Parkmobile for on-street parking payments. My garage spot used an electronic pass. No cash, because there was no attendant at the gate. It’s all about eliminating labor issues. And people wonder why millennials don’t want to work. My recently married son (28) is a core millennial and he has a 100% Boomer work ethic. He makes me proud. His mom gets more than half the credit for that.

Edited by VKurtB

On 7/19/2023 at 12:05 AM, VKurtB said:

It’s all about eliminating labor issues. And people wonder why millennials don’t want to work.

I cant find it in my heart to hire anyone under 35.  I just don't get any work out of them.  I hired this one guy and took him out to one of my jobsite.  I showed him around and then i told him i need you to pull six cables from this rack over tot he patch panel....  all of the while he was playing on his "stupid" phone.  i came back four hours latera and the job still wasn't completed... i just told him not to worry about it i will do it.......  I wonder if he understood that when i was doing it that i didn't need him and if he wondered why he didn't work here anymore??

On 7/19/2023 at 8:36 AM, JT2 said:

I cant find it in my heart to hire anyone under 35.  I just don't get any work out of them.  I hired this one guy and took him out to one of my jobsite.  I showed him around and then i told him i need you to pull six cables from this rack over tot he patch panel....  all of the while he was playing on his "stupid" phone.  i came back four hours latera and the job still wasn't completed... i just told him not to worry about it i will do it.......  I wonder if he understood that when i was doing it that i didn't need him and if he wondered why he didn't work here anymore??

Can't blame you. There are good ones out there, but they're rare as Matte Proof Lincolns.

@JT2 sounds like you are at least in communications....I am an electrician. We have a first year apprentice that I give a 10% chance of making it in the program. Most of the time he stands with his arms folded. One of the days there was a group of us going up the stairs to the fourth floor. I passed up the kid on the stairs and I have 30 years on him and I also have reactive arthritis. One of the shop guys even commented to him that the "old man" beat him up the stairs. Alot of the "kids" we get are on their phones when they should be working and their productivity is little to none, but they want that paycheck! Last time I checked, it is called WORK for a reason. And an employer pays an employee to do WORK for them.

On 7/19/2023 at 11:15 PM, powermad5000 said:

@JT2 sounds like you are at least in communications....I am an electrician. We have a first year apprentice that I give a 10% chance of making it in the program. Most of the time he stands with his arms folded. One of the days there was a group of us going up the stairs to the fourth floor. I passed up the kid on the stairs and I have 30 years on him and I also have reactive arthritis. One of the shop guys even commented to him that the "old man" beat him up the stairs. Alot of the "kids" we get are on their phones when they should be working and their productivity is little to none, but they want that paycheck! Last time I checked, it is called WORK for a reason. And an employer pays an employee to do WORK for them.

The last place I worked at before I retired had around 100 employees. I got all of the electrical apprentice's from the technical school and all the walk in's off the street. The word was if you could keep up with the old man you could stay. Most could not. The cell phone was a big issue.