• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question on submitting Proof Silver Eagles and 2021 Morgan and Peace Dollars
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone, I am what I consider a novice coin collector. A very beginner especially with submitting coins to NGC. I am just wondering if I were to submit Proof Silver Eagles, do I need to take them out of the plastic holder and the blue fuzzy container that they come in before submitting them? Also, do I do the same for the Peace/Morgan dollars as well? I am just nervous taking them out of the plastic holders and figured NGC has a better way of handling it.

Any suggestions or advice is appreciated.

• Administrator

Hello @John Polovick, thank you for contacting us. You may submit your 2021 Morgan and Peace dollar coins with or without the mint packaging. The mint packaging is not required by NGC in order for the coins to be graded or labeled/attributed properly. If you do decide to send them in their mint packaging and would like the packaging back, please be sure to select "Return Mint Packaging" as an additional service on the submission form. You can read more about submitting these coins HERE.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions. Thank you!

Remember to keep in mind that if you do send your coins in still in the original packaging, if I am not mistaken you cannot hold NGC accountable for damage should it occur by them removing it from the packaging for you. I remove all my coins from any seller packaging and put my coins into flips myself. That way, if a coin gets damaged, then I am the one who damaged it and nobody else is to blame.

I would say at this point there is not a holder made that I cannot open myself safely. But I can understand if you are new to submitting or opening holders your reservations to removing the coins themselves. Just keep in mind, if you are submitting them for grading, one way or another the coins are coming out of the original packaging and making their way into an NGC holder.

@KaileeS CS @powermad5000 thank you for the info and suggestions. And just to be sure, the capsules that the US mint sends the coins in, I am allowed to leave the coins in them? And if its a US mint capsule does NGC charge that fee to open them? I know anything I can do to make it easy for NGC is ideal, I unfortunately had an accident and have only one usable hand and would prefer a steady hand to take them out for me  =/

• Administrator

Hello @John Polovick. Yes, you can send your coins in the mint packaging capsules. We do not charge to open these capsules for you once received. If you would like your mint packaging returned to you, please kindly select the add-on service "Return Mint Packaging". There is a cost of $5.00 additional to return the packaging back to you.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions. Thank you!

Hi @KaileeS CS last question I think, I want to send in the 2023 Morgan and Peace dollars for grading so I can get the Morgan and Peace dollar special labels along with the First Release designations, do I have to send them in with the original packaging to qualify for the special labels and first release designations?

If I dont have to send in the original packaging, on my invoice I had selected the option to return original packaging, is it okay to cross it off and initial and maybe note that the original packaging does not need to be returned? Or should I redo the invoice to not have it elected? I just dont want to confuse what invoices I have out or pending etc. My hope is I can cross off the return packing option so I dont get charged. Hope that makes sense and thank you for your help!

• Administrator

Hello @John Polovick, the coins do not need to be submitted in their mint packaging for the First Release designation. Just be sure to select "First Release" as an additional label service on the form. You may cross off the "Return Mint Packaging" on the form.

Please let us know if you need help with anything else. Thank you!