• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JP's Nickels
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Hi All , I was at one of my antique coin stores today . I was looking through a box of BU Nickels for my book when I saw these 1970 D and 1970 S  uncirculated coins. For a buck I said what the heck. To me the last two look MS 66 PL. Does anyone else think so ?

Book Nickel 1.jpg

Book Nickel 1 Reverse .jpg

Book Nickel 2.jpg

Book Nickel 2 Reverse .jpg

Book Nickel 3.jpg

Book Nickel 3 Reverse .jpg

I took the last two out of the 2X2 to get some better shots. It looks like these coins have been in the 2X2 for to long. The 70S looks foggy . Another thing I can see is hanging around in a box of coins all with 2X2 staples is not a good idea. Almost all  the small rounded marks look to be from other holders hitting each other. 

Book Raw 70 D.jpg

Book Raw 70 D Reverse .jpg

Book Raw 70 S.jpg

Book Raw 70 S Reverse .jpg

Edited by J P M

My coin man Steve also said he picked up some new inventory he had not priced out yet .He cracks me up, He pulls out a 12 by 12 box with 8 plastic 20 coin holders full of MS Morgan's. I was pressed for time but there were some outstanding looking coins in those containers MS63 to MS66. I can't wait to see how he prices them out.

Still very nice nickels @J P M!!!!

I think the 70 S would be a 66 and the 70 D a 65 (the two you took out of the cardboard flips). As for the PL, all I can tell you is that it took me over a decade to get a single modern coin with a PL designation. It is difficult to get on any coin, and what I know about it from the NGC grading perspective is that they have something set up in the grading room and the grader has to be able to read or see something on the coin for it to get either PL or DPL. I got mine on a dime and had sent many dimes that basically blinded me trying to look at the details with a light and my magnifier. None of those got it until I sent this last dime, and I was confident it would get a PL and finally it did! Now I know what it needs to look like to be able to be designated.

I don't have your nickels in hand, but from the photos you provided, I would say neither would get a PL. I have one insane nickel in my last submission that came back that almost looked like a proof because it was so shiny in the fields and that one didn't get a PL either.

On 7/16/2023 at 10:31 PM, powermad5000 said:

Still very nice nickels @J P M!!!!

I think the 70 S would be a 66 and the 70 D a 65 (the two you took out of the cardboard flips). As for the PL, all I can tell you is that it took me over a decade to get a single modern coin with a PL designation. It is difficult to get on any coin, and what I know about it from the NGC grading perspective is that they have something set up in the grading room and the grader has to be able to read or see something on the coin for it to get either PL or DPL. I got mine on a dime and had sent many dimes that basically blinded me trying to look at the details with a light and my magnifier. None of those got it until I sent this last dime, and I was confident it would get a PL and finally it did! Now I know what it needs to look like to be able to be designated.

I don't have your nickels in hand, but from the photos you provided, I would say neither would get a PL. I have one insane nickel in my last submission that came back that almost looked like a proof because it was so shiny in the fields and that one didn't get a PL either.

We we may never know for sure. I do have some NGC graded PL nickels. I don't send in coins for grading unless the coin is worth 3 times the grading fee. I agree it is hard to see the proof like on this coin with a straight on shot.  I am not sure what NGC does for a test but I was told years ago when I was younger. If you could see a number 2 pencil reflection in the coin it was proof like. Just old school coin collecting. I am not sure if old school is cool anymore ?

1970 D PL.jpg

1970 D PL Reverse.jpg

Edited by J P M

On 7/16/2023 at 10:31 PM, powermad5000 said:

... from the NGC grading perspective is that they have something set up in the grading room and the grader has to be able to read or see something on the coin for it to get either PL or DPL

Maybe a #2 pencil?  (: