• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this look like the 1958 ddo cent
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Although your photos are somewhat blurry, your coin is definitely not, nor does it resemble, the extremely rare 1958 doubled die obverse cent, of which only three are known to exist and all of which, as I recall, reportedly turned up in the same place at the same time decades ago. It is extremely unlikely that any more will be found. This variety exhibits clear, crisp doubling on "LIBERTY" and the motto "IN GOD WE TRUST", as on this photo from NGC VarietyPlus:

818837-1.jpg

On 7/14/2023 at 2:00 PM, Crumbley said:

Topic:  Is this look like the 1958 ddo cent

I think you are confusing blurry pics of a coin that may have some minor strike or machine doubling (MD) with hub doubling or a doubled die (DD), since your 1958 Cent is not the 1958 DDO variety as others have indicated.  See attached comparison pics and an infographic from this topic ... https://boards.ngccoin.com/topic/430263-basic-resources-glossary-for-those-posting-questions/ ... to help you distinguish between MD and DD in the future.

1958 Comparison We.jpg

1958 Comparison Liberty.jpg

Errors - Doubled Die Graphic.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

With blurry pictures like that I thought it was “tripling” and not doubling  thought I needed my eyes checked 👀   …

Over all it looks like normal wheat cent if you see any slight doubling? It’s most likely die deterioration from worn out dies during a production striking.

On 7/14/2023 at 4:38 PM, Jason Abshier said:

With blurry pictures like that I thought it was “tripling” and not doubling  thought I needed my eyes checked 👀   …

Over all it looks like normal wheat cent if you see any slight doubling? It’s most likely die deterioration from worn out dies during a production striking.

Not sure about the tripling part but I do know that back in the day there were two things I learned never to do 

1. Drive

2. search for DD coins

if I was hanging out with my old buddy, GLENlivet. 

I agree with the not DD verdict.

Edited by R__Rash