• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old Unmarked silver Dollar
1 1

13 posts in this topic

I have an unmarked silver dollar with 13 stars on the back and the word " Parliament" on the back. Does anyone know what this is? I cannot find it anywhere . I have had it in the safe for over 45 years.

20230707_082753.jpg

20230707_082800.jpg

Edited by WPS@$&

Welcome to the forum, as said this is a private mint silver round not a US minted coin.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 7/7/2023 at 10:30 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Looks like a novelty bullion piece, worth silver content. 

EDIT TO ADD: Type "parliament silver round" into a search engine, several images pop up of what look to be identical pieces.

The one we have does not say shield and does not say  E Pluribus Unum. It also does not say United  

states of America. I cannot find anything that matches it.

On 7/7/2023 at 4:30 PM, WPS@$& said:

WHEN LOOKING AT THE PHOTOS PLEASE NOTE, DOES NOT SAY UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, OR E Pluribus Unum, no mark. Also does not say shield

20230707_082800.jpg

I think everyone's pretty clear on what it says and does not say. You provided photos, after all.

Looks to me like a common bullion round, private mintage of some sort, and unlikely to be worth more than the value of one ounce of silver--whatever that's going for nowadays. You should not refer to it as a dollar because it isn't one.

On 7/7/2023 at 6:43 PM, J P M said:

I see no photos ?,,,,,,,,I see nothing.....Nothing

This time, I do.

As others have indicated, this is a privately minted medallion or "round" that hopefully contains one troy ounce of .999 fine silver as it represents. Various manufacturers have made such items with innumerable designs over the years going back to at least the early 1970s, as well as rectangular decorated 1 oz. silver "art bars". This one happens to bear an imitation of the Liberty head used on the Morgan silver dollar, which I assume is what misled you to believe that it is a silver dollar.   Although many people who are interested in accumulating silver bullion buy such items, I'm not aware of any collector market for them in which any designs that may have been determined to be scarce or rare sell for much of a premium over their silver value. I'm also not aware of any effort to catalog all of them, which is probably why you can't "find anything that matches it." (Edit: @VKurtB just found such a match.)

The facts that the medallion doesn't state "United States of America" or "E Pluribus Unum" and has no (mint?) mark are of no significance. Perhaps that the manufacturer didn't want to give the false impression that it is a U.S. government issued coin. I don't know of any U.S. coin that says "shield".

Edited by Sandon

I bought a silver round from the Northwest Territorial Mint because the reverse used the eagle of the reverse of the Morgan dollar. It was not an exact copy of the eagle but resembled it. Yes, the OP's is bullion worth its content in silver.