• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1991-D errors I believe
1 1

12 posts in this topic

struggling with submission but I have doubling and a broad stamp. Errors on Obverse and reverse. Plus um coating separation??? Like three days old here...be gentle lol. Also have a 1994-D with doubling

On 6/29/2023 at 9:43 PM, Ghostwiththemost$ said:

20230629_214207.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

I agree with @Just Bob. Die erosion doubling and the plating issues common to cents of the time period from roughly 1982-1999. I see no errors on your coin. This coin is not worth submitting.

On 6/30/2023 at 12:37 AM, Ghostwiththemost$ said:

How bout this guy? 

20230629_233704.jpg

This is most likely the same problem that Bob was talking about , Not a DD

Welcome to the NGC chat board.  In the future, please post cropped photos of the entire obverse and reverse of a coin about which you have questions.

The "doubled" area of the rim on your 1991-D cent is likely from a slightly misaligned obverse die that struck the coin at a slight angle.  This is also very common, not valued by knowledgeable collectors, and considered a quality control issue rather than a mint error. I concur with those who have previously responded regarding the other issues you raised.  NGC would not attribute either of these coins as a mint error. If you submitted them, you would be spending $37 per coin in grading and attribution fees, plus the $10 per order processing fee and shipping and insurance costs to encapsulate coins worth face value.

To learn about mint errors and varieties, so that you may recognize significant ones should you be fortunate enough to find them, see the following resources:

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 1 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 2 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Learn Grading: What Is a Mint Error? — Part 3 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Variety vs. Mint Error | NGC (ngccoin.com)

For a comprehensive description of known error types, see error-ref.com.  Other useful sites include doubleddie.com and varietyvista.com.

Thought I would share this LWC for the sake of education.

This is Extreme worthless MD (machine doubling) with a worthless die chip in the 9 of 19.

IMG_3674.jpg

Edited by R__Rash

Not errors. 99% or more of what error treasure hunters THINK are errors are NOT errors. YouTube is a cesspool of bad information. Stop looking at YouTube coin videos.

Haven't looked at you tube once. Just pictures on here and other sites. I'm taking pictures with my cell phone...let me tell you how big of pain that is! Asking more to see if I'm on the right track. I also have some 1940's some 82 copper large dates. A zinc 82 small date. Nothing amazing really.

On 6/30/2023 at 1:58 PM, Ghostwiththemost$ said:

taking pictures with my cell phone...let me tell you how big of pain that is!

I do not need convincing of that. I never get anything useful from my cell phone either. I gave up trying. And I steadfastly REFUSE to add junky closeup lenses onto my phone. More bad optics solves nothing.