• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Worth keeping?
1 1

22 posts in this topic

You've been posting examples of exactly the opposite of what interests knowledgeable coin collectors.  We are interested in rare coins, coins in superb condition, and coins with significant mint errors, not coins that are damaged, corroded (like these common clad dimes), or exhibit minor anomalies (like die chips) indicative of poor quality control at the mint. I previously provided you with links to legitimate sources of information about mint errors.  Here is a link to a topic describing print and online resources that will enable you to identify and grade U.S. coins that may actually be of value:

On 6/18/2023 at 4:12 PM, Sandon said:

You've been posting examples of exactly the opposite of what interests knowledgeable coin collectors.  We are interested in rare coins, coins in superb condition, and coins with significant mint errors, not coins that are damaged, corroded (like these common clad dimes), or exhibit minor anomalies (like die chips) indicative of poor quality control at the mint.

You need to chill and play nice. You just come off being rude. 

On 6/18/2023 at 8:45 PM, AmeriRuski said:

Yeah, I apologize. I figured I was under the newbie section forum for questions. Is there a place where that's a thing? 

You are in the right place. Your coins are not collectable there is to much damage to the coins. They are only worth face value. 

On 6/18/2023 at 9:00 PM, AmeriRuski said:

So damage like this is worthless as well?

20230618_181215.jpg

In all fairness, if a merchant or vending machine accepts it, it is worth one cent. (In cases of unrequited love, it's value is limited to the sentimental feelings it evokes.)

It's not my intention to be rude but to make new collectors understand that some level of education is essential to our being able to help them in a meaningful way. That's why I provide links to resources from which they may obtain the knowledge they need. It's also important for new collectors to attend coin shows and coin club meetings where they can see a variety of coins and speak with knowledgeable collectors and dealers. It would take forever for a novice to learn anything by posting coins that appear to have anything unusual about them on a trial-and-error basis. One might also not recognize a coin that actually is rare   It also is important for them to understand that coins of significant value are hardly ever found in circulation.

It appears that the 2010-D cent just posted is covered with glue residue.  If there is a shiny substance over the apparently indented and "bubbly" looking areas of the coin, that is definitely the case, and the coin has no value. If not, please post a photo of the reverse of the coin, which should give us a better idea as to whether the coin may be a mint error.

On 6/18/2023 at 6:14 PM, ldhair said:

You need to chill and play nice. You just come off being rude. 

It won’t surprise you Larry, but I disagree. I have never mollycoddled ANYONE and I never shall. I just wasn’t brought up that way. I was taught that “it’s all about the accuracy.” The world already has too many people who think everyone needs to be like a Kindergarten teacher. Not everything gets a star in the real world. Beginners need to know right out of the gate that damaged coins are junk and worthless. 

Edited by VKurtB

Ok it's a frigging newbie forum. Ive tried to play nice. And no im not spending thousands on all ths stupid worthless books. If your 60 year old is still sitting in you moms basement and trolling people while looking through your moms piggy bank, then you need to  get laid my man. I was an orphan out of Russia that had to watch his whole family die. Searching trash disposal sites hoping for a moldy piece of bred to sedate my stomach from devouring itself, when I was only but 2. Mollycuddled isn't the word I would use when you don't understand a specific person and jump into a judgemental conclusion. You're an entitled that grew out of privilege. We tend to project the things we fear the most. In the world I grew up in, you sir wouldnt stand a chance. Mollycddled, what a joke. This is obviously an error on my part. I though coin collecting was full of respectable people and not a bunch of insecure ...

Edited by AmeriRuski

Thank you Sandon. That was a lot of good information. With all these videos online it's kinda hard to try and figure all this out. I understand what you are saying. Your help is much appreciated. There is the backside. The coin is pretty warped.

20230618_181225.jpg

On 6/19/2023 at 7:28 AM, AmeriRuski said:

You're an entitled that grew out of privilege.

I grew up in literally THE MOST IMPOVERISHED CITY IN THE U.S. (2013 official list) and a heavily violent neighborhood. Privilege your backside. Where I grew up, NOBODY sane goes there unarmed, both with “the attitude” AND a gun. 

Edited by VKurtB

Even still you grew up in an environment where you had opportunity. You grew up in the greatest Nation in the world. Even the most impoverished people in the USA live like kings compared to other 3rd world stricken countries. The fact that one could afford a gun to protect themselves is a right really only reserved in the western hemisphere of the world. I didn't jump on here to compare life experiences. If you have nothing good to say, well I don't think I have to say anymore. I'm tired of this jest. You have a blessed day.  

Edited by AmeriRuski

On 6/19/2023 at 9:49 AM, AmeriRuski said:

With all these videos online it's kinda hard to try and figure all this out.

I don't know to what videos you are referring or on what sites you are watching them, but if they are the ones claiming that valuable coins, including major mint errors, are frequently found in pocket change, they are simply incorrect. Anyone can post almost anything on the Internet! (Most major mint errors are intercepted by coin distributors and bank personnel and sold to coin dealers.) There are some legitimate educational videos on sites such as YouTube from PCGS, NGC, the American Numismatic Association (A.N.A.), the U.S. Mint, and legitimate coin dealers; but there are also many ignorant or fraudulent actors posting videos about coins. If you aren't able to spend less than $80 on a current or recent standard "Redbook" and a grading guide, then at least use legitimate free online resources such as the NGC Coin Explorer and PCGS Coinfacts, to which I refer in the "Resources for New Collectors" topic to which I provided a link. 

I wanted to see the reverse of the 2010-D Lincoln cent because the dented area of the upper obverse superficially resembles certain types of mint errors known as "partial indent strikes" or "partial brockages" that occur when a blank planchet or a previously struck coin rests on top of a just struck coin while it is still in the press and receives another blow from the dies. The warped, flattened appearance of the reverse suggests that the coin was damaged after it left the mint, possibly by placing another coin on top of it and striking it with a hammer. (The coin also still appears to have shiny glue residue on its obverse.) 

Here are NGC photos of a genuine partial indent strike and the partly struck blank that had caused the indent, a rare "mated pair":

learn-grading-dec-2019-mint-errors-part-3-image-14A_lg20191205155800280.jpg

learn-grading-dec-2019-mint-errors-part-3-image-14B_lg20191205155820743.jpg

learn-grading-dec-2019-mint-errors-part-3-image-15A_lg20191205155842311.jpg

learn-grading-dec-2019-mint-errors-part-3-image-15B_lg20191205155904679.jpg

On 6/19/2023 at 11:40 AM, AmeriRuski said:

Wow. Yeah that's awesome. I love these damaged coins. Just imagine the stories they would tell if they could speak.

20230619_123730.jpg

20230619_123703.jpg

Their stories? Stories of horrible abuse. Some intentional, some not. You have companions among the uninitiated in coins. But these coins really are pure unadulterated junk, and are worthless. I wouldn’t lie to you. Seek perfection, not imperfection. 

On 6/19/2023 at 9:49 AM, AmeriRuski said:

With all these videos online it's kinda hard to try and figure all this out.

Stick with vids from ANA.  You Tube vids, except the ANA ones, are hit or miss with mostly click-bait misses.

https://www.money.org/video-library

https://www.youtube.com/@MoneyOrg

On 6/19/2023 at 1:40 PM, AmeriRuski said:

I love these damaged coins. Just imagine the stories they would tell if they could speak.

You might like this topic ...