• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New added slot to fill in the complete Jefferson nickel registry set.
2 2

14 posts in this topic

In recent weeks I have noticed that NGC has added a new slot in the complete Jefferson nickel registry set. I saw where the complete set went from 300 coins to 301 coins and it took me a few minutes to figure out what they added. The slot added is for a 1939 S (MS/business strike) with no reverse step variety attribution. There are already 2 slots for the 1939 S coins with both the Rev of 38 and Rev of 40 varieties. Coins with either reverse attribution will NOT fit into this slot. You have to find a coin that was graded before these attributes were assigned. NGC automatically assigns the reverse type for any new submission. Currently the NGC census shows 300 coins across all grades without a reverse variety shown on the label as simply 1939 S. I have to assume that a certain percentage of these 300 coins have been cracked out or resubmitted over the years to gain a reverse type designation so this figure may be decreased. Good luck and happy hunting to all my fellow Jefferson collectors.

IMG_2126.thumb.jpeg.774bc839a3f5262827c9d28196ce32c9.jpeg

On 6/13/2023 at 4:39 PM, Coinbuf said:

That seems odd, did you see any set with this slot filled?   Seems like this should be addressed by the registry staff, @Ali E.

I checked a few sets and this slot was empty on the ones I looked at. If you go to the coin explorer page for this particular coin there are only 2 coins currently in the registry. 

The likely explanation for this added slot is that in their earlier years the grading services certified 1939-S (and other 1939 and 1940) Jefferson nickels without noting which reverse variety they were. My latest standard Redbook (2023 edition) still doesn't have separate listings for the two reverse varieties or even mention them.  This slot was likely added for those who wanted to add an undesignated 1939-S nickel in an older holder to the Registry. I wouldn't consider your set "incomplete" if you have the two different designated coins and don't have an undesignated one.

On 6/13/2023 at 5:45 PM, Lem E said:

I checked a few sets and this slot was empty on the ones I looked at. If you go to the coin explorer page for this particular coin there are only 2 coins currently in the registry. 

I also saw the change in the count Lem and did not go looking for it yet, you saved me some steps THANKS. So now the hard question ( How Much and How Many ) are out there.????

On 6/13/2023 at 5:03 PM, J P M said:

I also saw the change in the count Lem and did not go looking for it yet, you saved me some steps THANKS. So now the hard question ( How Much and How Many ) are out there.????

I thought about PMing you to see if you saw it too. 

So this could be fun. I know what a 38 and 40 reverse look like so a 39 S has a 39 Reverse ?  and what would that look like ?................. hm           Maybe the steps are painted 

On 6/13/2023 at 5:03 PM, J P M said:

So now the hard question ( How Much and How Many ) are out there.????

It does instantly put a cap on the amount of coins available for this slot. Weather or not this will create an uptick in the demand or value of the coins in these older holders is to be seen. 

On 6/13/2023 at 6:42 PM, jimbo27 said:

I found 2 1939 s Jeffersons ms65 on ebay, that have no reverse attributions, but they are PCGS coins.

So far every 39 S I have found shows a 38 or 40 reverse when you look it up buy the registration number and in past sales at GC there are no plane old MS 39 S that I have found , YET 

On 6/13/2023 at 4:59 PM, Lem E said:

In recent weeks I have noticed that NGC has added a new slot in the complete Jefferson nickel registry set. I saw where the complete set went from 300 coins to 301 coins and it took me a few minutes to figure out what they added. The slot added is for a 1939 S (MS/business strike) with no reverse step variety attribution. There are already 2 slots for the 1939 S coins with both the Rev of 38 and Rev of 40 varieties. Coins with either reverse attribution will NOT fit into this slot. You have to find a coin that was graded before these attributes were assigned. NGC automatically assigns the reverse type for any new submission. Currently the NGC census shows 300 coins across all grades without a reverse variety shown on the label as simply 1939 S. I have to assume that a certain percentage of these 300 coins have been cracked out or resubmitted over the years to gain a reverse type designation so this figure may be decreased. Good luck and happy hunting to all my fellow Jefferson collectors.

IMG_2126.thumb.jpeg.774bc839a3f5262827c9d28196ce32c9.jpeg

Anyway, you look at it, apparently without a public notice, that was great detective work on your part. (thumbsu

• Administrator
On 6/13/2023 at 4:59 PM, Lem E said:

Hello, Lem.

We have removed the slot which was added inadvertently. Thank you.