• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Funky Rim Job
1 1

9 posts in this topic

On 5/15/2023 at 5:17 PM, Coinbuf said:

This was an encased coin, that means the coin was placed into a holder that when squeezed into it caused the rim damage.   Not necessarily this one but something like this.

On 5/15/2023 at 8:11 PM, powermad5000 said:

Either that or set in some type of clasp as in to make jewelry (a necklace for example).

Yea, I think it likely was in some other type of holder like a pendant or keychain clasp (like the attached) noted by Powermad , as the "good luck" token pictured appears to just have a press-fit cent (with the rim still visible) that wouldn't result in depressed rims as the op's coin appears to have.

Penny Keychain Clasp.jpg

I'm pretty sure the OP coin was once mounted in a Lucky holder. The rims get damaged in the process.

The actual holder starts off as a blank. The cent is placed in the hole and the dies strike the design on both sides of the holder and smash the coin in place, all at the same time. The dies actually smash the rims of the coin. The images below are some examples. Sometimes the dies strike part of the design into the rims. I would almost bet the OP coin has an edge that looks like the image below.

Image_1491.JPG

Image_1506.JPG

Image_1524.JPG

Image_1510.JPG

Image_1522.JPG

The larger Good Luck tokens may push the sides of the edges inwards from being press fit, but wouldn't press downward on the rims creating the impression at the rims on both faces like on the op's coin.

That's why I think it was in some type of clasp like holder as I pictured above, which would cause the downward impression around both rims over time.