• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post some of your Morgan Dollars
1 1

230 posts in this topic

That cameo effect on the 2023's is unreal.  Super-black.  That's what they couldn't do with proofs 100-150 years ago, create that mirrored-black look. (thumbsu

Are they striking proofs or other types EVERY year for Modern Morgans -- I thought it was a 1-time thing in 1921 ?  What did they do in 2022 ?

On 8/20/2023 at 5:24 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

That cameo effect on the 2023's is unreal.  Super-black.  That's what they couldn't do with proofs 100-150 years ago, create that mirrored-black look. (thumbsu

Not true, while the mint could not pump out hundreds of thousands like today it produced some fine examples.   Here is a very black and gold proof, not my coin just an example posted on another forum of what the mint could do.

image.png.5fb0d8368811a0a1da07f3ad8f485821.png

And this dmpl is a coin in my collection, lots of handling marks but very nice contrast and I'll bet it had a fantastic black and white look off the press.

1885sd-obv4.jpg

On 8/28/2023 at 5:25 PM, J P M said:

I have been trying to find a MS 1891 Morgan for a reasonable price for the last year. Every time I find one it bids out way to high. When I saw this AU58 it looked just as nice as some 62,63 and 64's so for $54 I think it was a good deal.

JPM, I understand that price sensitivity is a personal choice and we all differ.

However....I'm wondering how much of a premium you were forced to "pay up" for to get a really nice coin that you liked.  Since the coin(s) in question appear to be about $50-$75, paying up wouldn't amount to much in absolute dollars, right ?

If we are talking about a $500- $1,000 coin...that's another matter.

BTW, nice coin. (thumbsu

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 8/29/2023 at 11:54 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

JPM, I understand that price sensitivity is a personal choice and we all differ.

However....I'm wondering how much of a premium you were forced to "pay up" for to get a really nice coin that you liked.  Since the coin(s) in question appear to be about $50-$75, paying up wouldn't amount to much in absolute dollars, right ?

If we are talking about a $500- $1,000 coin...that's another matter.

BTW, nice coin. (thumbsu

Thanks GoldFinger  It is a nice AU58. The 1890 -1895 are the pricier coins in the set. trying to find a Morgan in the price range you posted $50 to $75 is not as easy as it sounds. I am always looking for a MS coin but a 1891 MS 60 to 63 at auction can go from 100 to 300 depending on the coin and the bidders mentality. Finding a good looking reasonable priced coin all ready in a $50 holder is what I am always looking for. As for Pay up the last 3 coins will be the killers 1893,94 and 95 can be a bit high even at G4.