• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022-D Kennedy half dollar DDR
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I'm not good looking for minor DDs, but while looking through the glass I noticed the five stars were odd. I took close up pic with phone and close up with scope. I was really looking this coin over a few times before I shared, to get your thoughts. I can't find anything else but the star's looking like that. Just don't know if this is DD or MD. 

With the modern coins they we're single pressed. So when I see this kind of stuff on these newer coins really make me wonder if it's true DD or not. But most likely MD. Before throwing it back in circulation thought I would ask. Thanks 

20230510_204913.jpg

20230510_210008.jpg

20230510_205053.jpg

20230510_205103.jpg

On 5/10/2023 at 10:25 PM, Hinkle said:

With the modern coins they we're single pressed.

To be specific, the dies were made using the single squeeze method. You presented good photos to check out the coin, but I am leaning towards mechanical doubling as I can't find any evidence on the rest of the coin to tell me otherwise. Due to the high speeds of modern coin presses, there are a lot of instances of mechanical doubling and it is well within mint tolerances.

Unless someone else sees something I don't, MD is my consensus.

wow thats a good eye to see that but like Powermad said it just looks like the old fashioned machine doubling.  maybe even a little die deterioration.

I would hold onto this one, yes there for sure is MD, but that split on the left side of the stars is interesting.   As this is still a very new mintage there probably are not too many discoveries listed or found just yet.   I would also suggest you post this on the CONECA forum for further replies and possible confirmation of MD only.