• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What tier
1 1

20 posts in this topic

On 5/4/2023 at 8:23 PM, Chelsea Phipps said:

I'm so lost I have no idea what tier to put pennies at when trying to submit forms..

Please help 😅

Why would you want to submit forms. :roflmao::devil:   Sorry I could not resist, we would need more information to give you any help.   The choice of tier depends on the speed of service you want as well as the value of the items you are planning to have graded.

I have about 20 mis struck pennies ranging in dates from 1982- 2014 

Thought they would look awesome with the grading...but I'm new to all of this so I really have no idea what to do at the moment

On 5/4/2023 at 8:52 PM, Chelsea Phipps said:

I have about 20 mis struck pennies ranging in dates from 1982- 2014 

Thought they would look awesome with the grading...but I'm new to all of this so I really have no idea what to do at the moment

Can you post photos of a couple of the coins and explain what you see or what you think is mis struck.   While not impossible the odds of someone new to coin collecting finding twenty error coins in the date range you say are not good.   The ods are much higher that you do not have true errors and have mis identified these coins.

Edited by Coinbuf

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

If you want to submit coins to a third-party grading service such as NGC, you must have your own sufficient knowledge of these coins to determine their likely grade range and value. Coins worth less than several hundred dollars apiece really aren't worth the cost of certification. To request NGC to attribute your coins as mint errors (whether they are found to be errors or not), you would have to pay an additional $18 fee per coin on top of the tier grading fee ($19 per coin "Modern" tier for the date range you describe), a $10 processing fee for your order and, for 20 coins, a $35 return shipping fee. This works out to a total of $785 or $39.25 per coin and doesn't include your cost of shipping the coins to NGC. Many types of mint errors on modern Lincoln cents wouldn't even have a retail value of $39.25, and if they aren't mint errors, they are likely only worth their face value of one cent apiece. NGC doesn't regard minor anomalies such as die chips, strike doubling, and die deterioration doubling as mint errors and wouldn't attribute them as such.

As suggested by @Coinbuf, you may submit photos of some of the coins you think are "mis-struck" on this forum for our opinions.  The photos should be clear and cropped shots of each side of each coin, and you should point out what type of error you think each one exhibits.  You may find the following topics helpful:

I'm going to say at a quick glance, I did not see either, I have had these for a minute (6) months or so, the guy sold them to be without telling me only due to the fact that he wanted me to find them myself...so take the time look at the pictures instead of just glancing and assuming that just because some are new doesn't mean anything, now I will take corrective criticism, and positive feedback so that I will continue to learn...but what you have done is kinda Disrespectful..but no hard feelings, this is the internet in 2023! 😅 

Again God Bless! Have a great night and enjoy the beautiful mint state 1980's an up pennies 😊

On 5/5/2023 at 12:10 AM, Just Bob said:

Welcome to the forum.

What errors did the serious coin collector say that you had on your coins? 

All kinds in there and that's not ask that's only some 😊 just look and you might see

Sorry but I looked at every photo and do not see any true errors. I see plating blisters, linear plating bubbles. 
and the start of a ridge ring on some of them. You are going to have to be more specific on what you think is. 
an error and we will tell you if you are right or wrong. I don’t see anything there that is worth more than 1 cent.

Did you look  at the website error-ref.com as suggested to see what an actual error looks like.

@Chelsea Phipps not sure who sold you these but BEWARE ! of “error coin scams” they prey on new collectors and novice who don’t know any better ….

most coins even modern stuff is just not worth sending in for grading . You can buy them anywhere already in holders with grades on them save yourself the hassle of grading fees , insurance fees and so on long turn around times Waiting for coins to come back …. I only advise someone new to learn how to grade coins first and learn the coin market what’s really worth sending in and what’s not worth sending in for grading and authentication …. What you have in your pictures that stuff is everyday pocket change money that’s not even worth sending in for grading you’re better off saving your money buy a few numismatic books learn about coin collecting and buy some graded coins by PCGS/NGC …. Rarely do I ever send a coin in grading I own a lot raw coins as well as Graded coins (that dealer or someone else sent coin in long time ago had coin graded they paid fees and so on) I just bought the coin already graded in the holders …

but after awhile when you gain more knowledge about coin collecting ,you’ll learn a majority coins aren’t worth anything nor the Expenses sending them in for expensive grading procedures 

I included some pictures to show you what coins sell for are the same coins in your picture (also notice the 3rd last picture with RED on it !!! Beware of scams like this !!! If that could. Was worth $500 ??? That seller would of shipped it off and had it graded himself !!! But he didn’t because he trying to rip someone off!!!) on another note I do not care for that seller’s feedback 99% he’s definitely doesn’t know what he’s talking about with that basic looking 1988 Lincoln cent I have a hunch he’s going to rip someone off stay away from deals like this !
 Us older collectors are here to help newbies learn to avoid SCAMs and make better choices when buy coins for their collections the choice is yours how you take this information in 

AF95283C-E8B3-47D3-929E-ED8DD0D08007.jpeg

1EE54167-68FD-473E-BF73-1F3C0D52FEF1.jpeg

E4F65E06-4BAE-4021-8DB1-5E019FA5048B.jpeg

Edited by Jason Abshier

On 5/4/2023 at 11:52 PM, Chelsea Phipps said:

I have about 20 mis struck pennies .. Thought they would look awesome with the grading ...

You don't need to submit them to a grading company for them to look nice in your collection.  I would just get some coin albums like the Littleton ones to put the cents in similar to the attached, or if you find some exceptional ones possibly with true errors in the future maybe put them in an individual NGC style slab.

On 5/5/2023 at 12:51 AM, Chelsea Phipps said:

I'm open to positive advice! Love learning in positive ways! 

On 5/5/2023 at 1:26 AM, Chelsea Phipps said:

... the guy sold them to be without telling me only due to the fact that he wanted me to find them myself...

Sorry to say it looks like you were scammed if you paid more than 1C each as I also don't see any of value or with errors.  I mean you are told there are errors, but you have to discover them ... really?

Don't add insult to injury by submitting them to a grading company, which would also be a total waste of your money.  I would just caulk this one up as a lesson learned as a newer collector, and learn a lot more about coins (see the post by Sandon above) before buying anything else.

lca19_alt2-wc.jpg

Holder - PCCB Brand 03.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

On 5/4/2023 at 11:47 PM, Chelsea Phipps said:

20230504_232005.jpg

20230504_232050.jpg

20230504_232340.jpg

20230504_232418.jpg

20230504_232445.jpg

20230504_232519.jpg

20230504_232533.jpg

20230504_232602.jpg

20230504_233003.jpg

20230504_233024.jpg

20230504_233104.jpg

20230504_233233.jpg

20230504_233536.jpg

Oh dear! There are no errors here, none. Just typical cents, full stop. Two possibilities. One, he actually believes these are errors, in which case he’s a fool. Two, he knows they are not, and he’s a crook. Take your pick - fool or crook. Neither is a good look.

I am actually glad you came here to ask this question as you have no error coins and I would hate to see you literally BURN your cash on coins worth about 0.25-0.30 cents. Let's do a little math check here to give you an idea. Your coins are worth about thirty cents.

For twenty pennies at the modern grade, 20 X $19 = $380.

For thinking they are mint errors and submitting them as such, 20 X $18 Mint Error Fee = $360. (Charged whether or not the coin is actually an error or not)

For a new member to be able to submit, you have too many coins for a basic so $150 for a membership.

Shipping fees to and from and accounting fees, eh, roughly, $85.

$380+$360+$150+$85=$975.

You are saving $974.70 by NOT sending these coins in.

I don't know who informed you that you have errors in these coins but you need to not buy from or listen to their advice. 

On 5/6/2023 at 3:11 PM, powermad5000 said:

I am actually glad you came here to ask this question as you have no error coins and I would hate to see you literally BURN your cash on coins worth about 0.25-0.30 cents. Let's do a little math check here to give you an idea. Your coins are worth about thirty cents.

For twenty pennies at the modern grade, 20 X $19 = $380.

For thinking they are mint errors and submitting them as such, 20 X $18 Mint Error Fee = $360. (Charged whether or not the coin is actually an error or not)

For a new member to be able to submit, you have too many coins for a basic so $150 for a membership.

Shipping fees to and from and accounting fees, eh, roughly, $85.

$380+$360+$150+$85=$975.

You are saving $974.70 by NOT sending these coins in.

I don't know who informed you that you have errors in these coins but you need to not buy from or listen to their advice. 

A con man or a truly dumb man.

On 5/4/2023 at 11:23 PM, Chelsea Phipps said:

I'm so lost I have no idea what tier to put pennies at when trying to submit forms..

Use the Crocodile Tear. You'll feel better afterward:)