• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mechanical Doubling or true DDR?

35 posts in this topic

On 5/4/2023 at 9:13 PM, J P M said:

Not when I can buy coins all ready graded for much less than the cost of who ever sent them in originally ;)

The first time I noticed that, years and years ago, my mind was blown. “Why do people do this?”, I kept asking myself. I still can’t figure it out, aside from aesthetic concerns as in a competitive exhibit. I remember the late David Lange telling us many were unsuccessful submissions of errors and varieties which are not.

Edited by VKurtB

On 5/4/2023 at 10:12 PM, VKurtB said:

My comments were more directed to ANYONE who spews that “collect how and what you like” drivel.

Again. I am still at a loss as to why you quoted me as I have not spewed any such nonsense, and wondering if your okay.

On 5/4/2023 at 10:16 PM, VKurtB said:

The first time I noticed that, years and years ago, my mind was blown. “Why do people do this?”, I kept asking myself. I still can’t figure it out, aside from aesthetic concerns as in a competitive exhibit. I remember the late David Lange telling us many were unsuccessful submissions of errors and varieties which are not.

I Agree with our old friend, I am sure many were sent in hoping for full steps and returned as MS only.. I can say with a lot of shopping around I have very many a graded MS66,67 and 68 coin that I paid $10 or even less.  It makes the cost of putting a large set together a bit easier. Remember unless it is a real rarity, I keep my spending to 33% of retail or less and I just move on to the next coin. 

On 5/5/2023 at 6:27 AM, J P M said:

I Agree with our old friend, I am sure many were sent in hoping for full steps and returned as MS only.. I can say with a lot of shopping around I have very many a graded MS66,67 and 68 coin that I paid $10 or even less.  It makes the cost of putting a large set together a bit easier. Remember unless it is a real rarity, I keep my spending to 33% of retail or less and I just move on to the next coin. 

God bless the “junk slab box” of many dealers. 

On 5/4/2023 at 9:13 PM, J P M said:

all ready graded for much less than the cost of who ever sent them in originally

Those are my occasional self grading errors. ;) Which have become very few and far between. If there is one thing, I will never claim to be perfect in this hobby.