• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Morgan Dollars Newbie Owner Here

12 posts in this topic

I have posted a couple of times here and gotten great feedback alrteady.  But I have quite a stack of these Morgan dollars, and I have never sent one to be graded.  So this forum seems to be a great place to get some feedback on these coins.  I just recently learned how to crop the pictures so they would upload.  Now I am uploading a few more.

20230417_153809.jpg

20230417_153817.jpg

20230417_171214.jpg

20230417_171204.jpg

Thank you very much.  I was certainly wondering about the 1892-s coin.  It appears to be a Proof coin.  The devices on both sides appear to be etched or matte.  The diameter is 38.10 mm; but the weight is 26.82 gms.  I will certainly continue to read up on all of the coins I have.  And, no I didn't pay a lot for any of them.  I plan to post others, too.

On 4/17/2023 at 6:26 PM, Sandon said:

As a novice collector, the last thing that you should be thinking about is submitting coins to grading services.

I don’t know why newer collectors think they must get a coin graded … I mean there’s millions and millions of coins already out there that are already in holders and graded why waste the expenses shipping common coins to grading company when you can buy one already graded that been authenticated is a better investment for newer collectors. 

The 1892 S about punched me dead in the face as far as a counterfeit goes. I am even questioning the 1886 as the rim and denticles just don't look right to me. It could just be the photo but it looks out of round as well. Being this is the same OP who posted 4 Morgans the other day that were all counterfeit, I don't think he is off to a good start.

I just recently learned how to crop my pics so as to get them down to a size that will upload.  Any pointers on how to get them more focused would be appreciated.  I have quite a few more coins to upload.  Also, I agree that buying already graded coins makes good sense. I have done that, too.  But I don't have any questions about them.

There are a few things that can cause focus problems.

Note how some parts of the coin are in focus and others are not. This tells you the camera is tilted a bit to the coin.

It also looks like you are getting a bit of camera shake.

Also try moving the camera a little further from the coin. 

I feel the 1892-S is questionable. 

Here is a genuine 1892-S silver dollar. Please compare it to the one in your post, above. (Photos courtesy HA.com) The internet has hundreds of photos of authentic coins, so try checking there first.

1892-s.thumb.jpg.50a5aecdbc16ad9d5032351984e9c516.jpg

Everything on your "coin" is false. The date is obvious, and other parts are just as bad. If you bought the counterfeit get your money back and report the seller to the FBI or US Secret Service.

On 4/17/2023 at 7:37 PM, Fitzz said:

Any pointers on how to get them more focused would be appreciated.

Rest your Arm on something , like a few stacked books, if you are using a phone camera and keep the lens about 4 to 6 inches above and square with the coin.

On 4/18/2023 at 11:58 AM, RWB said:

Here is a genuine 1892-S silver dollar. Please compare it to the one in your post, above. (Photos courtesy HA.com) The internet has hundreds of photos of authentic coins, so try checking there first.

NGC Coin Explorer and PCGS CoinFacts have photos of coins for comparison, with the latter having a link to a multitude of grades for each particular coin.