• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coin verification of NGC grading.
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

No, the coin and/or holder aren't necessarily counterfeit. Occasionally a certified coin, especially one certified a long time ago, isn't in the database. Are you sure that you correctly entered the full serial number and grade and were using a browser such as Microsoft Edge that is compatible with the NGC certificate verification function?

You can ask NGC about your coin by either repeating your question on the "Ask NGC/NCS" forum or privately by e-mail at service@NGCCoin.com

Thanks for the info.   The coin is in an old NGC holder so being outside the database is probably the correct answer.  Would be curious as to the starting sequence number in their database or is there gaps in the early recorded numbers. I don't own the coin, I saw it among the auction lots offered by a large auction house.   This is not the first time I've had either a NGC or PCGS coin not show up in the verification database.  Even in the late 80's they had databases so not sure why early slabs would be omitted.   Maybe the old school house with the records burned down. LOL. 

Edited by TX COIN GUY

On 4/17/2023 at 12:07 PM, TX COIN GUY said:

Thanks for the info.   The coin is in an old NGC holder so being outside the database is probably the correct answer.  Would be curious as to the starting sequence number in their database or is there gaps in the early recorded numbers. I don't own the coin, I saw it among the auction lots offered by a large auction house.   This is not the first time I've had either a NGC or PCGS coin not show up in the verification database.  Even in the late 80's they had databases so not sure why early slabs would be omitted.   Maybe the old school house with the records burned down. LOL. 

Databases can get corrupted and digital information does get lost, not an everyday thing but it does happen.   I have had a few of my older slabs not show up in both the PCGS and NGC systems, usually a call to customer service is all that is needed to resolve the issue.

Yes it does happen. I have even looked up nickels that have fifty cent  and Sacajawea reverse, Just the wrong photo but it would be nice.

If I am not mistaken, NGC didn't start fully digital imaging both sides of submitted coins until 2008. Before that, I am not sure they even had a database for the verification function. If the coin is an early submission starting in the 1XXXXXXX, or 2XXXXXXX there probably was no information recorded on it.

On 4/17/2023 at 7:23 PM, powermad5000 said:

If I am not mistaken, NGC didn't start fully digital imaging both sides of submitted coins until 2008. Before that, I am not sure they even had a database for the verification function. If the coin is an early submission starting in the 1XXXXXXX, or 2XXXXXXX there probably was no information recorded on it.

@powermad5000--Respectfully, you are mistaken regarding the database.  I have a number of coins in early NGC holders with low six-digit invoice numbers before the dash, as well as others that were certified before NGC started taking photos, that come up in certificate verification, though with the photo area empty. One is in a very early holder from 1987 or 1988 that has the company name on the back printed in gold instead of a hologram.  Others are copper coins that were certified as far back as the early 1990s, with the date of certification stated in the verification function. 

No offense taken Sandon. Then my mistake was that they started the digital imaging of the obverse and reverse of every coin submitted starting in 2008 then, no?

I found this in the "NGC Help Center/FAQs topic" regarding Certificate Verification under the "About" tab on the NGC home page:

NGC has imaged virtually all non-bulk submissions since October 2008.

If images of your coin are not displayed, it was likely graded prior to October 2008 or was part of a bulk submission that was not imaged. If your coin falls into either of those categories, you can submit it to NGC under the ReHolder service to be placed in a new holder and imaged.

If you think that your coin was graded after October 2008 and was not part of a bulk submission, please contact NGC Customer Service so that we can check into the missing images.

Edited by Sandon