• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to Coins and have a full 1909- Lincoln cents book
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, im new here so I need some advice. I inherited a large coin collection years ago and have been slowly selling them. I have so many, Id like to get the good ones graded. I have a full book of lincoln cents from 1909 - 1950s. I have a 1909 VDB, 1901 S VDB, 1914D, and so on. which pennies from this book would be the most important in getting graded ? 

On 4/11/2023 at 6:22 PM, Sandon said:

Welcome to the NGC chat board.  

The only coin that would be likely worth having certified by a third-party grading service such as NGC would be the 1909-S V.D.B. (and the 1955 Doubled Die if you have one). The 1914-D might also be worth it if it is in nice enough condition. All three of these issues are heavily counterfeited or have altered dates or added mintmarks, so certification is more important to authenticate them rather than grade them. Most other Lincoln cents that were collected in a coin album or folder are likely worth anywhere from a few cents to well under $100 each, which doesn't justify the cost, especially if you intend to sell them anyway. 

If you could post clear, cropped photos of each side the 1909-S V.D.B., the 1914-D and any other pieces you still think might be worth having third-party grading, we might be able to advise you better. Many of the counterfeit or altered pieces are fairly obvious to experienced collectors, and we can often detect them from such photos.
I also sold things like collectible books and my grandfather's coins in my 20s. I needed time for this. So when I was in college I found writing samples, used https://gradesfixer.com/ for help. I would also like to add that selling collectibles, especially those that our loved ones have, can be a difficult and emotional process. He was an avid collector and left his collection to me after his death. I spent a lot of time researching each item before deciding how to market them.

I thought there would be more valuable

Edited by abigaileicher8

On 4/26/2023 at 10:19 AM, abigaileicher8 said:

I thought there would be more valuable

@abigaileicher8 they can be valuable depends on conditions of the coin and authenticity earlier years and key dates , semi key dates , few varieties in the wheat vent series …. But best you can do is take some pictures of

1909-S VBD 

1909-S 

1914-D

1922 (No D) 

1931-S 

1955 (double die) 

there’s a few others on the list but nothing major …