• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1947 S Wheat Penny Lincoln impression on the Reverse
1 1

20 posts in this topic

On 4/9/2023 at 7:34 AM, Greenstang said:

That is known as “ Progressive Indirect Die Transfer” aka ghosting.  
It is a form of Die Deterioration.

There also looks like a cud or chip above the wheat stock covering the ( E )

Not sure. A better picture of the reverse with the coin orientated properly so I am not looking at it upside-down and better lighting on the area in question, then I might be able to give a better assessment of what is going on with it.

There's a lot going on with the reverse. The lines through E Pluribus looked raised so I don't think it is scratched. There is weakness in IT of UNITED, A in STATES, and C in AMERICA. There does appear to be a cud above the wheat stock. Then there is weakness in the left wheat stock and seeds. The rest of the coin looks fully struck and other than a few minor hits, looks unimpaired on both sides other than the areas mentioned. 

I have never heard of Progressive Indirect Die Transfer, so a better explanation of that might provide a clue. I don't see it as being PMD, so I want to class it a mint error, but I am not sure under what condition. I am aware of all the recognized mint errors, but this coin seems to be a blend of several different things. Perhaps part of the die did fall off and then the extra metal flow into the space of the missing piece of die caused the other areas of weaknesses?

I really appreciate your assessment of this coin in the past  most comments consist of  quotes like nice coin it look blasted or clean or it’s a common coin But you explain it so perfectly  I must say this is a first  that someone described any of my coins  and didn’t try to devalue it so with that said thanks u  I have explained to commentators that it’s not about the value it’s just something I never seen before and it’s my first like this and I explain it’s common in 46 and 48 but not in 47  it’s off to grading now and whatever the outcome I will post the results will be keeping it no matter what it my first  so thanks once again for your educating the coin 🪙 🌍 

1E119413-AAA1-4EC3-B28D-BEF72128ECEC.jpeg

On 4/10/2023 at 9:57 PM, powermad5000 said:

I have never heard of Progressive Indirect Die Transfer, so a better explanation of that might provide a clue. I don't see it as being PMD, so I want to class it a mint error, but I am not sure under what condition. I am aware of all the recognized mint errors, but this coin seems to be a blend of several different things. Perhaps part of the die did fall off and then the extra metal flow into the space of the missing piece of die caused the other areas of weaknesses?

Try this link: https://www.error-ref.com/progressive-indirect-design-transfer/

On 4/10/2023 at 11:24 PM, bobbyboshay said:

it’s off to grading now and whatever the outcome I will post the results

Are you going to have this coin graded ? I would maybe put it in a coin book. At MS 65 it is only worth around $30 it will cost a lot more money to have it put in a slab.

It’s getting slab what it’s worth is not important  it’s different is more important to me  don’t care anything about value it’s rare to me they are common in 46 and 48 not 47  thanks once again thanks 

Thanks Just Bob! I learned something new today! I had a Merc with the reverse like in the link you posted and I submitted it as a mint error because I thought it was a strike through. It returned straight graded. At least, now I know what I was looking at on that coin. 

On 4/11/2023 at 11:12 PM, bobbyboshay said:

It’s getting slab what it’s worth is not important  it’s different is more important to me  don’t care anything about value it’s rare to me they are common in 46 and 48 not 47  thanks once again thanks 

That's cool, it is your choice to do as you please. I hope it grades well. Please let us know how it graded we love a nice grade 

On 5/21/2023 at 9:13 AM, VKurtB said:

These are often found on uncirculated Walking Liberty halves.

I've not seen one of those. Does it show on the obverse or reverse?

On 5/21/2023 at 9:13 PM, Just Bob said:

I've not seen one of those. Does it show on the obverse or reverse?

The ghosted eagle wings show on the obverse fields. It's freaky. It's a bit more subtle than on these cents.

Edited by VKurtB

On 5/21/2023 at 9:17 PM, VKurtB said:

The ghosted eagle wings show on the obverse fields. It's freaky.

I've got to find a picture of one of those!