• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

While labels with a green border that says International Numismatic Bureau on it. Has a number on it and a barcode that's all. It says weather it's a wheat cent or a date from 1920-1929. Does anybody know anything about this kind of lable????

14 posts in this topic

Junk slab. Ignore anything on the label. If you like the coin, buy it for its FMV  -- Only (in this case, offer 5-cents with prepaid postage).

Edited by RWB

INB was a self-slabber who sold on Ebay a while back. Lots of cleaned or circulated coins sold as MS 70, etc. Treat any coins in those holders as if they were raw and possibly problem coins. It may be possible to cherry pick varieties, but be wary of the condition and pay accordingly.

On 4/5/2023 at 10:05 PM, Just Bob said:

INB was a self-slabber who sold on Ebay a while back. Lots of cleaned or circulated coins sold as MS 70, etc. Treat any coins in those holders as if they were raw and possibly problem coins. It may be possible to cherry pick varieties, but be wary of the condition and pay accordingly.

The garbage is still sold on fleaBay in "dealer lots of 100 coins".

As already mentioned this is what we refer to as a basement self slabber, those labels are not worth the paper they were printed on.   Here is a link to a site that has some information on this and many other "companies" that have slabbed coins as well as those still in business.

Link

We call them basement slabbers, wannabes who want to be like the big brothers NGC and PCGS but they’ll never be that good mostly common date cheap coins that are easy to find wind up in these knock off slabs. ANACS (with its newer ugly holders) is the lowest I’ll go when buying a graded coin only on rare occasion I’ll settle for an old white ANACS holder (which I believe they were very conservative graded back then)  and ICG looks like a basement slabber I avoid them 

(Parenthetical Note... The following comment, scratched from PP # 4 on the foregoing line-up for routine review, has since passed Moderation's stringent standards.)

Welcome to the Forum!

I see you lost no time in getting right to the matter at hand:  a grading concern I daresay few hobbyists had ever heard of including myself.

If I may I should like to suggest you consider all the comments offered, and, using the search engine of your choice, investigate the matter further.  There is an ANA contribution, "Grogu's Blog," a line to which may be all you need to get a good handle on where the INB stands on the TPGS continuum. [It is rather curious one would choose to house coins (some described as rare) in shabbily assembled slabs and offer only general descriptions of coins in lieu of dates and formal grades, but if it were part of law enforcement initiatives involving seizures and asset forfeitures (as has been contended elsewhere) that would explain the amateurish attempt to clothe the merchandise with a veneer of respectability to facilitate sales. Caveat emptor!

On 4/6/2023 at 11:45 AM, Coinbuf said:

As already mentioned this is what we refer to as a basement self slabber, those labels are not worth the paper they were printed on.   Here is a link to a site that has some information on this and many other "companies" that have slabbed coins as well as those still in business.

Link

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the more virulent strain of anti-counterfeiters amongst us, I would like to suggest this scam poses a far more serious threat to the collector... and do so politely.

On 4/6/2023 at 3:56 PM, J P M said:

Here is a slab. It was given to me by another collector as a joke, he knows I like MS nickels. MS 70 is very rare in nickels.lol

SGS Coin.jpg

SGS Coin REverse.jpg

For the record, that particular piece of offal comes from a now gone self-slabber called Abon Coins - you can Google them to see that they were shut down by the USSS, FBI, IRS, and Local Law Enforcement for running a steal-to-order ring out of their coin shop.

https://www.bucyrustelegraphforum.com/story/news/2014/07/23/secret-service-raids-abon-coin-shop/13070187/

“The reason we conducted the search warrant is we have been engaged in a multi-jurisdictional wire fraud investigation involving the online Internet sale of a vast array of stolen merchandise,” said Smokey Everett, special agent in charge of the Cleveland field office for the Secret Service.

https://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/story/news/local/2014/07/23/secret-service-raids-abon-coin-shop/13054083/

And of course...

https://www.iannfriedman.com/blog/2015/february/attorney-friedman-reaches-plea-deal-in-abon-rico/

According to the terms of the plea deal, Mr. Bence pleaded guilty to one count of receiving stolen property and Abon Cards and Coins pleaded to the first count of the indictment, engaging in a pattern of corrupt activity. The plea deal dismisses without prejudice all charges against Donna Bence and Benjamin Berry. Sentencing is scheduled for March 19, according to the Prosecutors Office.

Those crooks ought to get more than just a "sentence!"  They deserve at least a full paragraph with several run-on sentences, too!

;)