• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2004 Michigan state quarter missing "LI" in Liberty. "berty"

14 posts in this topic

Got this quarter with no "L" and "I" in LIBERTY on the obverse.  Also, UNUM is missing on the reverse.  Also, the word "UNUM" is missing on yhe reverse.

But I can't upload the pictures because I get a message that the jpeg file is too big.  I took standard pics with my phone and then attached them to an email I sent to myself.  I then downloaded the pics onto my Mac.  When I check the size of the pic file, it says 5.5 mb.  How can I make it small enough to upload here.  I think the largest this forum will take is 4.88 mb. Ideas?  Opinions?

Crop the pics to just larger than the coin which should reduce the file size considerably.  It's a better way to post pics anyway as it presents a better view of the con without downloading and enlarging the pic.

Also about the coin, with missing letters it's likely either damage or a struck-through mint error.  However, it is probably damage as strike through errors are not very common.  See the following link for some help with strike through errors.

https://www.error-ref.com/?s=Struck+Through+Errors

Cropping the original image typically brings the file size down to 1.5MB - 3MB. We also desire to have clear, cropped images of both sides of a coin and possibly a close up (not over magnified) of any questionable areas to be able to try to help answer your question.

Welcome to the fourm, as already mentioned if you crop out all that black background you will have no problem loading your pics, and it will be much easier for us to review your photos and provide you the info you seek.   As @Greenstang wrote this looks to be a minor filled die, the mint is a high speed production facility and it is very common for one or both of the coin dies to become clogged with debris such as grease.   When that occurs the coins that are struck with the filled die will not have the details struck in that area.  These are mint errors but also so very common that there is no value over the face value of the coin.

Edited by Coinbuf

If you're using a Windows PC, just go to the "Edit Image" menu.  I would expect that other types of devices have equivalent software.

If you are using a phone just place it on a soda can to keep it steady and zoom in with your phone use a white piece of paper to put the coin on. Take a shot and send it here or your PC and then here.

Also stack something up to reset your arm on while taking a phone pic.  The difference becomes very apparent when you zoom in on the pic taken.