• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1985-S penny tainted proof RPM or die chip
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I don't come across these very often in circulation. Pulled this out of a bank roll, and noticed the mint mark. I'm thinking die chip just because I'm not seeing no where else on the mint mark of shifting. Any thoughts what might be happening here. Thanks 

20230327_121341.jpg

20230326_140742.jpg

20230326_140918.jpg

On 3/27/2023 at 12:37 PM, Greenstang said:

Looks like a small die chip on the top of the S.

Thought it was, thank you Greenstang 

I think that by 1965 the US mint was punching mint marks onto working hubs, not working dies, so it doesn't seem likely your 1985 cent would have a re-punched mark.

A 1985 S Lincoln Memorial cent proof is copper plated with a zinc core. On the business strikes of the Lincolns in the 1980's-early 1990's there were a lot of issues with the plating shifting, bubbling, or cracking. I would imagine even with the extra care to make proofs that there could still be issues with the plating. 

I am leaning less towards a die chip as the dies used to make proofs are highly polished and clean and I am leaning more towards an issue with the plating bubbling up in the area of the mintmark.

Edited by powermad5000