• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found this in my inventory
1 1

27 posts in this topic

Condition depends on abrasion/defects to the struck part of the planchet. That indicates personal inspection is desirable. The planchet is typical and likely "as not-struck."

On 3/23/2023 at 3:35 PM, RWB said:

Condition depends on abrasion/defects to the struck part of the planchet. That indicates personal inspection is desirable. The planchet is typical and likely "as not-struck."

Yup just what I thought a brilliant MS70 for sure. Lol.

I have never understood grading such errors, but then there are lots of things that I don't understand.

I do understand getting them authenticated, but a number grade seems counter..., well to the whole thing about collecting major errors.

When one's collecting focus can be summed up as "perfection is so overrated" who would care if it is XF40 or MS66?

I though the various TPGS were clear on this:  no DATE, no GRADE.

It would make a great bottle opener with a minor adjustment!  In fact, if done right, it would be worth more than a clipped damaged planchet.  🤣

On 4/20/2023 at 4:28 AM, Henri Charriere said:

I though the various TPGS were clear on this:  no DATE, no GRADE.

It would make a great bottle opener with a minor adjustment!  In fact, if done right, it would be worth more than a clipped damaged planchet.  🤣

It has a date.1999 D 

On 4/20/2023 at 6:06 AM, J P M said:

It has a date.1999 D 

I, er, uh... misspoke.  :baiting: Are such numismatic monstrosities eligible for submission?  I guess the ultimate value will hinge on demand and that may very well depend on an auction.

On 4/20/2023 at 5:47 AM, EarlyUS.com said:

In the case of errors, by definition, some have no date (i.e. a "blank planchet") yet can still be graded.

That is an outstanding 1999-D and worth quite a bit in my opinion!  Getting a coin broadstruck that far off-center yet with a full date AND mintmark is rare indeed.

Thanks. I was thinking at the very least a MS-70. 

On 4/21/2023 at 8:24 PM, Errorists said:

Thanks. I was thinking at the very least a MS-70. 

Alright then, at the very least a MS-70... and at the very MOST???

I see two minor problems here. A conscientious Mint employee was monitoring the ever cascading waterfall of nickels in Denver, spotted an oddity that caught his eye quick enough to catch it before it collided with the others--and quietly palmed it.

To my friend, the OP:  the likelihood that any coin minted for circulation at high speed would be ejected and land in a pile of metal unscathed is, how shall I put this, at the very least, nil.  Besides, in keeping with long-standing tradition, any such claim regarding suspected MS-70 coins struck for mass circulation must be reviewed by the venerable VKurtB first.  :whistle:

On 4/21/2023 at 8:19 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Alright then, at the very least a MS-70... and at the very MOST???

I see two minor problems here. A conscientious Mint employee was monitoring the ever cascading waterfall of nickels in Denver, spotted an oddity that caught his eye quick enough to catch it before it collided with the others--and quietly palmed it.

To my friend, the OP:  the likelihood that any coin minted for circulation at high speed would be ejected and land in a pile of metal unscathed is, how shall I put this, at the very least, nil.  Besides, in keeping with long-standing tradition, any such claim regarding suspected MS-70 coins struck for mass circulation must be reviewed by the venerable VKurtB first.  :whistle:

Hardly even noticed it being off center and was more focused on the MS-70 flawless grade. Lol. Probably made it out of the mint in a mint bag and not a coin roll. Makes me wonder if a mint employee saw this like you said.

On 4/20/2023 at 6:47 AM, EarlyUS.com said:

In the case of errors, by definition, some have no date (i.e. a "blank planchet") yet can still be graded.

That is an outstanding 1999-D and worth quite a bit in my opinion!  Getting a coin broadstruck that far off-center yet with a full date AND mintmark is rare indeed.

ACCEPTING EVERY ASSUMPTION YOU'VE MADE IS GOSPEL TRUTH, WHAT ENQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW IS IF IT WERE YOURS OR SOMEONE YOU KNOW, WOULD YOU BE INCLINED TO HAVE IT SUBMITTED FOR FORMAL AUTHENTICATION, GRADING, CERTIFICATION AND ENCAPSULATION?

On 4/23/2023 at 5:21 PM, Henri Charriere said:

ACCEPTING EVERY ASSUMPTION YOU'VE MADE IS GOSPEL TRUTH, WHAT ENQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW IS IF IT WERE YOURS OR SOMEONE YOU KNOW, WOULD YOU BE INCLINED TO HAVE IT SUBMITTED FOR FORMAL AUTHENTICATION, GRADING, CERTIFICATION AND ENCAPSULATION?

Yes I plan to bring it to the Summer Fun Show in Orlando this year for NGC to grade. Is it worth it?

I think it would be a break even venture at the most. Average price IMO would be from $20 to $75 you may get more if auctioned at one of the big one's like HA or GC but still a long shot. Here is a sample.

https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/1355295/Mint-Error-1957-D-Lincoln-Cent-Off-Center-ANACS-MS-63-RB

https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/1354754/Mint-Error-1974-S-Lincoln-Cent-Struck-60-Off-Center-At-K-1130-ANACS-MS-63-RB

Edited by J P M

On 4/24/2023 at 6:30 AM, J P M said:

I think it would be a break even venture at the most. Average price IMO would be from $20 to $75 you may get more if auctioned at one of the big one's like HA or GC but still a long shot. Here is a sample.

https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/1355295/Mint-Error-1957-D-Lincoln-Cent-Off-Center-ANACS-MS-63-RB

https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/1354754/Mint-Error-1974-S-Lincoln-Cent-Struck-60-Off-Center-At-K-1130-ANACS-MS-63-RB

Is it worth a lot if it's a MS 68 ,69 or 70?

On 4/24/2023 at 10:17 AM, Errorists said:

Is it worth a lot if it's a MS 68 ,69 or 70?

That would be awesome if you could get that.

To the best of my knowledge, no reputable third-party grading service has ever graded a coin made and distributed for circulation MS 70. Only coins that are specially struck, handled and packaged, such as bullion and commemorative coins and other special issues, have been graded "70". The grades of "68" and "69" are rather unusual for regular circulation coins as well and clearly don't apply to this off-center 1999-D nickel, which shows obvious marks and abrasions on both the struck and unstruck portions of the planchet.  It's more likely to grade in the 64 to 65 range.

It is my impression that the numerical grade of a striking error like this one isn't as important in determining its value as the extent and rarity of the error.  This is a nice (80-90%) off-center strike with the date and mint mark showing, but it's my understanding that they aren't all that rare. It likely only has a mid to high "two figure" value as has been stated. The only good reason to have it certified is to authenticate it, and it is questionable whether it is worth it.

On 4/24/2023 at 1:15 PM, Sandon said:

To the best of my knowledge, no reputable third-party grading service has ever graded a coin made and distributed for circulation MS 70. Only coins that are specially struck, handled and packaged, such as bullion and commemorative coins and other special issues, have been graded "70". The grades of "68" and "69" are rather unusual for regular circulation coins as well and clearly don't apply to this off-center 1999-D nickel, which shows obvious marks and abrasions on both the struck and unstruck portions of the planchet.  It's more likely to grade in the 64 to 65 range.

It is my impression that the numerical grade of a striking error like this one isn't as important in determining its value as the extent and rarity of the error.  This is a nice (80-90%) off-center strike with the date and mint mark showing, but it's my understanding that they aren't all that rare. It likely only has a mid to high "two figure" value as has been stated. The only good reason to have it certified is to authenticate it, and it is questionable whether it is worth it.

I'm thinking the knicks and abrasions you are referring to are radial flow lines. 

On 4/24/2023 at 2:15 PM, Sandon said:

I do not relish the opportunity to dim anyone's high hopes, but I believe you have done a masterful job in explaining the intracacies involved in evaluating such oddities.

I do not know how long this genetic mutation has resided undetected in your inventory but would advise tweaking your schedule.  That's one way, for example, of discovering the 1995-W Proof ASE you paid $30,000 for initially, now commands a price of only $3,000, if that.  Irrespective of the grade assigned a coin remnant, I personally would not submit it without consulting a number of knowledgeable sources on the subject first.

On 4/24/2023 at 2:16 PM, Henri Charriere said:

I do not relish the opportunity to dim anyone's high hopes, but I believe you have done a masterful job in explaining the intracacies involved in evaluating such oddities.

I do not know how long this genetic mutation has resided undetected in your inventory but would advise tweaking your schedule.  That's one way, for example, of discovering the 1995-W Proof ASE you paid $30,000 for initially, now commands a price of only $3,000, if that.  Irrespective of the grade assigned a coin remnant, I personally would not submit it without consulting a number of knowledgeable sources on the subject first.

Thanks. Yes since 2001. So I will bring it to the show to show a few experts for opinions then decide. The higher the grade the more the chances are for me to get it graded. 

Edited by Errorists

On 4/24/2023 at 2:15 PM, Sandon said:

Sandon is correct MS 68 69 and 70 are very hard to come by. And with nickels it is almost imposable on a regular strike. Just browse through some price guides and take a look at how many MS 70 nickels are out there.