• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bechtler Carolina Gold
1 1

14 posts in this topic

I was in the Mountains on Sunday and found this posted in the welcome center. I wanted to know if there are any here that may have a piece of this history.

Carolina Gold.jpg

I do have this also. When I lived in Charlotte I was in the Charlotte Coin Club and was part of the committee that worked with Jamie Franki to get this medal made. It was great fun. I’ve also been to the gold mine and the river/creek where all the original Carolina gold came from. I have a few small nuggets from there that I panned too.

0C1EE17F-EC57-48C3-8E79-039449D8176A.jpeg

263D7248-DF15-45C6-AAD8-20BC1BA85D55.jpeg

Edited by Mr_Spud

Very nice coin. Great information Mr-Spud thank for that. It looks like the coin has punch marks like it was being tested to see if it was real ? 

Yea, something like that. It might even have been shot by buckshot. I’ve also heard that a lot of them got damaged removing them from the dies they used to strike them because they are so thin and they had to use tools to get them out of the dies but I’m not sure if that’s true

On 3/25/2023 at 1:28 PM, physics-fan3.14 said:

As a Carolina Boy, I've always wanted one of the Bechtler pieces. Availability, priority, and budget have just never aligned. 

Maybe a nice Charlotte mint piece instead?

On 3/25/2023 at 1:57 PM, Zebo said:

Maybe a nice Charlotte mint piece instead?

Charlotte gold is a bit up there also. I was looking at some In Pineville SC not long ago and they had quite a bit at a shop there. All nice pieces but to rich for my pocket

On 3/25/2023 at 8:50 PM, physics-fan3.14 said:

Not really much cheaper, haha. 

Not cheaper, many much more expensive - but very collectible. An alternative that’s all.