• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I get this graded?

12 posts in this topic

hey and welcome to the forum.  that would be a big no no to do it.  Sorry this is only worth 25 cents.  they made these by the millions you will only be wasting your tie with these modern issues to have them graded.

On 3/10/2023 at 6:43 AM, JT2 said:

hey and welcome to the forum.  that would be a big no no to do it.  Sorry this is only worth 25 cents.  they made these by the millions you will only be wasting your tie with these modern issues to have them graded.

Ty,I appreciate the input but it is doubled on both sides.....

Welcome to the Forum.

So that we can help you better understand value of coins, why did you think it is worth getting graded?    
Unless it is worth a t least $150.00, it does not pay to get send it in. What do you see that we don’t.

On 3/10/2023 at 6:47 AM, Greenstang said:

Welcome to the Forum.

So that we can help you better understand value of coins, why did you think it is worth getting graded?    
Unless it is worth a t least $150.00, it does not pay to get send it in. What do you see that we don’t.

I saw the double die obverse in quarter dollar and ddr in e plauribus unum and the date 2009 the 9 appears to be double struck.

Welcome Niema  I agree with Greenstang, I think if you look close you will find it is not a Double Die but Mechanical or Die deterioration doubling. There are no listings so far for a 2009 D DDO or DDR. you can check below.

http://www.varietyvista.com/09d WQ Vol 4 DC/DDO Listings.htm

On 3/10/2023 at 6:47 AM, Greenstang said:

Unless it is worth a t least $150.00, it does not pay to get send it in.

From looking at the difference in sale prices between raw and slabbed coins for a few different coin types the "break even" is in the around the $300 range, but likely over $300.  Plus I can't see recovering $50 to $80 in added value from grading for a coin only worth $150.

On 3/10/2023 at 7:15 AM, Niema said:

I saw the double die obverse in quarter dollar and ddr in e plauribus unum and the date 2009 the 9 appears to be double struck.

I had to look where you pointed out, and it may be a slight shelf like doubling at those spots but not directly around them.  So it likely would be minor die deterioration in those areas.  In any event it's not clearly obvious just looking at the coin, so there would be no added value, and particularly to make it worth grading.

Edited by EagleRJO

Your quarter is ordinary pocket change with minor mechanical doubling - very common and of no added value.

The coin is worth 25-cents. If you have it authenticated and "graded" it will cost you about $40-$50 -- and your quarter will still be worth 25-cents.

(Where did you get the idea this was a valuable coin? Would merely like to know so the liar can be castrated or spayed.)

Edited by RWB

Beware of the fakebook, pinterest, and YouTube sites that claim to tell you how to get rich quick on pocket change.  If it was really that easy everyone would be a millionaire already.  The only people getting rich are the peeps that make advertising money of of the clicks they get by spewing misinformation. 

What you have is as already noted just common everyday strike doubling, totally worthless.   If you really want to learn what a true doubled die coin is and is not here is a link to that information.   Pay particular attention to the sections on Doubled die and Worthless doubling.

Wexler

Edited by Coinbuf

It's very difficult to see anything from your photos, which should be cropped. I magnified the photos as much as possible and see no anomaly other than some minor strike doubling on the "N" of "IN". See the following topic:

Always bear in mind that on a doubled die coin the two images are crisp and approximately the same depth. If the secondary image is distinctly shallower than the primary image, it is some lesser form of doubling, such as strike doubling (distinct but shallow secondary image) or die deterioration doubling (faint or "ghostly" secondary image). It's also very unlikely that a coin minted in 2009 would have a significant doubled die, as the mint started using the "single squeeze" method of making dies in or about 1996.The 1972 doubled die obverse cent (Redbook variety, FS 101) that I'm going to show is a good example of a true doubled die, although there are many less prominent doubled dies where the doubling is much closer together and/or only shows on some of the letters, numbers, or other features.  

1119150390_1972DDcentobv..thumb.jpg.b01a7b2ca04969a3f69ec358aa660877.jpg

Regarding your question, "should I get this graded?", the answer is clearly "no".  " NGC does not attribute as varieties coins that display Strike Doubling, Abrasion Doubling, Die Deterioration Doubling, Master Die Doubling (doubling that is found on all coins produced from that master die), insignificant die chips, breaks or cracks, or any variety coin that falls under mint tolerances for doubling or normal die wear."  If you send this coin in and spend a $19 grading fee plus an $18 error or variety attribution fee a $10 processing fee plus $28 return shipping and insurance, totaling $75, it will likely be encapsulated with the following description: 2009-D Guam 25c, About Uncirculated Details, Reverse Scratched.