• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1965 error dime
2 2

12 posts in this topic

I have a 1965 flat special mint set that has marks on the edge is still in the pack have not seen this before and I sent pictures to a friend but didn't know either. Can you help 

20230301_203000.jpg

Picture_20232701082731.jpg

Picture_20232701082744.jpg

Picture_20232901082916.jpg

Picture_20232901082939.jpg

Picture_20232701082731.jpg

Well that makes sense. I was just scratching my head trying to figure it out. Also might explain why the coin ha changed color or toned due to  exposure probably put a pin hole in the package. Will have to look closely at the package because I would think it would be damaged as well if it did that to the coin. 

On 3/5/2023 at 10:51 AM, J P M said:

I can see where the coin was on the edge of the wrapper the waffle cellophane is messed up near the dime.  

I need syrup with my waffles. 

On 3/5/2023 at 11:14 AM, Greenstang said:

I agree, damage from the crimping machine when sealing the package.

It must have been too close to the edge when being sealed.

On 3/5/2023 at 11:51 AM, J P M said:

I can see where the coin was on the edge of the wrapper the waffle cellophane is messed up near the dime.  

Like the PGA Tour commercial says, "These guys are good!!!!".  EXCELLENT observation there guys.  You'd both make good detectives!! 😁 I had to really zoom in to see that. I initially thought it appeared to be damage from the reeded edge of another coin, but NOPE!

I felt like being artistic today so here's my best drawing of the culprit as ya'll mentioned. 👍  

Image 3-9-23 at 1.46 PM.jpg

On 3/9/2023 at 5:10 PM, EagleRJO said:

@GBrad Nice representation of what occurred, which is exactly what it looked like to me! 

Thank you very much.  However, just for the record, I was not the one that diagnosed the damage on the coin. That was done earlier by J P M and Greenstang on this thread.  I just thought I'd try to put their words into a picture so that others could see what those two gentlemen had carefully observed.  I was glad to help out though.  Thanks. 👍

Edited by GBrad