• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coin Hunt Special Label
1 1

24 posts in this topic

I asked NGC this: Why does NGC make believe that special labels are available to the average collector, they are not.  Most are only available to bulk submitters.  Take the Great American Coin hunt, the 2019 and 2020 quarters. I just submitted a 2019 W river and a 2020 W Rockefeller.  I asked for the special labels 1347 and 1135.  The web site says those coins are eligible for those labels.  At the bottom it says "Available for Bulk Submissions".  When I got my coins they were in the brown label.  This is first Great American Coin Hunt coin I have seen in a brown.  I called NGC and first they said yes if want that label just write it on your form.  I told them I did and then they came back and said it is ONLY for bulk submitters.  This does not go with my collection and I am not so happy.  I think lots of people have gotten this label with out being bulk.  Please let me know if you have run into this.

The answer was sorry for bulk submitters only.  But But But this is the Great American Coin Hunt, there is no bulk submission of these coins.  What is going on?  Again I have never seen a Great American Coin Hunt in a brown label.

On 3/3/2023 at 8:24 AM, DaGou said:

Why does NGC make believe that special labels are available to the average collector, they are not.

They don't. They have a list and if under the label they an "available for all submitters" listed you're good to go, if it says "available for bulk submissions" well there you go. 

I get it, having all the labels match is nice but if you want to go that route you'd be better off having everything with the standard brown label. That's what I do.

On 3/3/2023 at 9:53 AM, DaGou said:

Explain how a Great American Coin Hunt coin can be a bulk submission.

Have 100 or more of the same coins. How many did the Mint release, I thought it was four coins with a mintage of 1MM each, there were people with over 100 of these. 

For certain dealers and individuals who do a lot of business with NGC there is probably room to negotiate. 

They minted 2 million but they were sprinkled across the country.  No bulk dealer got a bulk load of these coins.  No one had a hundred of these.  

On 3/3/2023 at 10:16 AM, DaGou said:

No one had a hundred of these.  

You're being naive. Yes, these were distributed throughout the country but it's not like they dropped off 2 of each at every bank, people were finding rolls of these if I remember right. Plenty of people had hundreds of these.

I know, not the same label but this seller apparently had 408.

image.thumb.png.74587c19046981654c9ddbacc2262799.png

I understand that many coin dealers maintain contacts with bank personnel, whom they keep on the lookout for desirable coins such as mint errors and these "W" mint quarters.  Additionally, quantities of these coins tended to turn up at certain institutions, so collectors and dealers who became aware of this bought many quarter rolls from these institutions.  A collector I know found a number of certain issues of uncirculated "W' mint quarters in rolls from a credit union where he has an account.  This is why many or most of the uncirculated "W' mint quarters were submitted in bulk and why so many of them are uncirculated. (Note the line number "168" on the holder in @Fenntucky Mike's post, indicating that there were at least 167 other coins in the submission!)

My advice to you is to collect coins, not the little paper tags in grading service holders! 

A fool and his money are soon separated. A coin marked MS 65 is MS 65 no matter if the label is brown, green, yellow, black, or purple or has background images of floating cows on it. I have my own OCD things and I get it where you are coming from, but when it comes to the coins in my collection, I could care less if the labels match, or what they even look like. I care about the coin in the holder and how that looks because even MS 65 can be blast white if it is sliver, or have some heavy toning leaning toward black but still be MS 65. Buy the coin, not the label. The NGC label has changed over the years as well as the holder. I have a lot of the older holders too where you can't view the rim of the coin and those labels are totally different.

This post was not supposed to be the never ending buy the coin not the label argument.  It was more about the little guy vs the bulk dealers in it not for joy of collecting but for only the money.  Why can’t I have the same label as them?  Again I have never seen a 2020W or 2019W on a brown label.

As far as bulk goes, yes there are one of cases where a guy knew a guy who worked at a bank etc… but my point is there were no bulk shipments from the mint to any dealers.  The whole point was not to have bulk, it was the Great American Coin Hunt.  The mint for once was on the side of the little guy and NGC only gives the labels to bulk dealers.  So your telling me almost every one of those were submitted by bulk dealers?  Wrong.

Edited by DaGou

There are many ways to get around things. I am sure that coin label is real and there are lots of dealers that have many channels to work with.

So all the millions of the Great Coin Hunt coins were secured by an underground network of bulk dealers.  This secret network then submitted every coin in bulk.  Thanks for explaining that. 

no one has ever seen a brown label, the one they forced on me is the first I have ever seen in three years.  I guess I was the only one to escape the secret network 

On 3/3/2023 at 8:38 PM, DaGou said:

no one has ever seen a brown label, the one they forced on me is the first I have ever seen in three years.  I guess I was the only one to escape the secret network 

On 3/3/2023 at 3:21 PM, DaGou said:

Wrong.

I'm out. :hi:

Interestingly, the NGC Census only lists 2019-W "America the Beautiful" quarters as "Great American Coin Hunt", so maybe you really do have the first ones with standard brown NGC labels! (The 2020s apparently came with WW2 V75 privy mark labels.)  That's got to be a rarity to someone--the standard brown label discovery coins!  Perhaps a collector or dealer would be willing to work out a favorable trade.

I saw your registry set, "Respect National Parks", in which you already have one of each 2019-W quarter with the "Great American Coin Hunt" label, and in some pretty high grades to boot. What grades did the ones you just submitted get?

I have a whole set of the Ws in NGC plastic. I actually have 2 with the brown label. Both from the same dealer. I was not the original submitter of these coins, but I have to assume it was a bulk submission by the dealer going by the cert# ending in 88. They had many more brown label Ws for sale at the time. I am a fan of consistency myself so I get where you are coming from. 56F18AB7-11C2-4BCC-9C11-563C98A1E040.thumb.jpeg.01fc3d2aa92e3101ae8a597d804541f9.jpeg

I got this in cash register change and had it in an album and had no clue they put W's in circulation. When I took it back out of the album, I found the privy mark. I only got this one so I submitted it at the Worlds Fair of Money when it came to Chicago along with about 15 assorted silver dimes and dollars and one ancient.

PXL_20220618_202956389~3.jpg