• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

anything special about these CC's?! want to know before I send them in plz & thank you in advance.

17 posts in this topic

I am not sure what you are looking for? I do think it is odd that both reverse coins of different years have a die crack in the exact same spot on the right above the A in AMERICA?

They may even have AT as there is no good color progression and only blotchy color changes.  I also don't see any "pull away" of the toning except at a very limited number of stars, another AT indication.  @Coinbufhas a better eye than me for things like this.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 3/3/2023 at 1:14 PM, Sandon said:

They appear to be lower end uncirculated 1883-CC and 1884-CC dollars that would likely grade in the MS 62-63 range.  As dealers now sell them for $300 or more, a price that I regard as inflated considering that most of their original mintages still exist in uncirculated condition, some collectors might think them worthy of certification, though I wouldn't. 

Even with Carson City being hot and likely to stay hot in the future (if not at the recent pace) ?

On 3/3/2023 at 8:34 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Run don't walk, run away from CC coin. The images are completely juiced. If I remember CCC is in CO, I'll be in Aurora CO for work this month, at least a week,  I'll try to stop in if I get a chance. 

Don't forget your gas mask! :)

The "toning" is not real. It is created by adding a small, normal tungsten light to higher color temperature light, about 3500K to 4000K used for the coin. A tungsten light has a yellow-orange color temperature of about 2800K while a cool white or 3500K light's visual color is bluer. When the camera is color balanced for 3500K the tungsten light's color will appear much warmer -- just as in the photos. The original photo also had mid-tone values altered  to emphasize the non-existent toning.

In the 1883 coin photo, I've adjusted mid-tones back to a normal range. As you can see from the background paper, color balance was very close to normal. The distinctive "butterfly" pattern of the false toning is typical of specular reflection off a coin surface.

image.png.51dacf112cfde8fed6bb2ee624aa884e.png

RWB is spot on! I see these juiced coins on EB all the time. Of course they look flashy and the seller often adds as many adjectives as possible with the space of a flip ie: MS+++, rare, key date, proof like etc. if you want a good CC, buy a graded one!

Don’t chance these shysters!