• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Inherited Coin Collection

24 posts in this topic

I inherited my grandparents’ collection of coins after their passing. I am unsure what to do with them, whether that be keep them or sell them. To list a brief summary, there are: 1923-1928 Peace Dollars, 1971-1978 Eisenhower Dollars, 1881-1921 Morgan Dollars, 1922 Peace Dollars, 1949-1963 Franklin Half Dollars, 1964 Kennedy Half Dollars, 1929-1945 Liberty Walking Half Dollars, an 1858 Liberty Seated Half Dollar, and tons of old Pennies, Nickles, Dimes and Quarters. Some random coins from other countries are also in the mix. Any advice is GREATLY appreciated. Thank you in advance! 26D04186-6FDB-4929-BEB8-8D39AA7DD1E4.thumb.jpeg.27f1c3256902129ea9ba1854856a4d6f.jpeg

40FC9D20-64FA-48C5-9173-0D04F3F5A605.jpeg

I'll leave it to the Small U.S. Denomination experts here, but at a minimum you should read the other threads in this section on what to do with a newly inherited coin collection.  It starts with getting the latest edition of A Guide Book To U.S. Coins, aka The Red Book.  It has prices for most of the coins if not all of them that are in the ballpark of fair/market value.

Silver coins... it's easy to figure out the metallic or bullion value based on the price of silver.  If they are in top-notch condition, they may or may not have numsimatic value, too.

Are you looking to sell all of them or maybe just sell some/most and start collecting yourself ?

One thing you'll want to do immediately....separate ALL the coins and put them in their own containers or velvet pouches, but don't have multiple coins clinking around together in a plastic bag.  More wear-and-tear and more scratches and damage.

On 2/26/2023 at 1:22 AM, kamipoppins said:

I am looking to sell most, if not all of them. I have been researching them but they just don’t interest me enough to want to keep collecting them. 

Not everyone is into coin collecting, I get where you are coming from.:)

Far be it for me to toot my own horn, but you might find OTHER coins interesting in the U.S.Coin, World, Ancient threads.  For instance, many of us here (myself included) are into the larger Morgan silver dollars and Saint-Gaudens gold coins, each of which has fascinating histories.   They're a jump up from the $20-$50 small denomination prices that you can find for the others, but if you like American history they might be of more interest while also letting you double-up by accumulating silver and/or gold. 

Plenty of threads on each if you decide to go that way. (thumbsu

To my fellow NGC veterans......is it just me or have we REALLY seen a big surge of newcomers here who have either found a single coin they think is worth something and/or inherited or come into collections ?  I can't remember this many people coming in asking about a coin or two....or folks who have a bunch of coins that were dropped into their lap. xD

Edited by GoldFinger1969

Good luck with your new collection. I think you received some really good advice from everyone. Just out of curiosity, could you post a picture of the 1858 seated half?  Maybe the reverse of the 1913 buffalo nickel too. 

On 2/26/2023 at 11:10 AM, Rod D. said:

Good luck with your new collection. I think you received some really good advice from everyone. Just out of curiosity, could you post a picture of the 1858 seated half?  Maybe the reverse of the 1913 buffalo nickel too. 

Yes I will take pictures of them for you when I get back home in a little bit. 

On 2/26/2023 at 11:10 AM, Rod D. said:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

On 2/26/2023 at 7:47 PM, kamipoppins said:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Something similar from that era may be a good pick to set aside for yourself.  I would briefly dip the coin in acetone to get rid of fingerprints and oils from your hand, and then put it in a slab holder similar to what's discussed here for protection.

https://boards.ngccoin.com/topic/429835-i-found-some-nice-professional-coin-slabs-on-amazon/

Did you inherit any gold coins?  They are of course more valuable and I think look nicer.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 2/26/2023 at 7:35 PM, EagleRJO said:

Something similar from that era may be a good pick to set aside for yourself.  I would briefly dip the coin in acetone to get rid of fingerprints and oils from your hand, and then put it in a slab holder similar to what's discussed here for protection.

https://boards.ngccoin.com/topic/429835-i-found-some-nice-professional-coin-slabs-on-amazon/#comment-9833520

Did you inherit any gold coins?  They are of course more valuable and I think look nicer.

There are some Sacagawea coins but I’m not sure if they are actually gold or just gold colored. 

On 2/27/2023 at 1:19 AM, kamipoppins said:

There are some Sacagawea coins but I’m not sure if they are actually gold or just gold colored. 

The Sacagawea dollar is not gold.  It is mostly copper with several other alloys to give it the dullish golden color.  I would look for some of the oldest coins in the collection that are still in good condition as a possibility for some to keep.

Also Morgan dollars with a "CC" mint mark (located at the bottom of the coin back) can be valuable.  You can check the following webpage for some ballpark values of Morgans, which are what a dealer may list a coin for and not what a dealer may pay for a coin which would likely be significantly less.

https://www.usacoinbook.com/coins/dollars/morgan/

1892-CC Morgan.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

On 2/27/2023 at 10:33 AM, JKK said:

Obtain: a Red Book.

Safeguard: protect loose coins from damage where they might lose value.

Segregate: by country, denomination, then type is the usual way. A red book helps you know when a change is not obvious, such as the dropping of silver from most US coins in 1965.

Summarize: count up the overall numbers.

Document: make a spreadsheet. Consider simply totaling up types of common coins (typically bulk silver). List separately coins to be looked up, individually graded, or researched.

Divide: for those that have retail premiums rather than just bullion value, take about 50% of the premium and figure that's what a dealer gives you. A private collector, more like 70% is fair. For bullion value coins, take about 90% of melt.

Total it up. You now have a pretty good idea what you could expect to realize, with ID errors or grading newbism your main variables.

Good overall approach to get a better handle on the coins they have.  It will also make it easier for dealers to give them an estimate.  However, values from the Red Book or other sources is an issue with the collection being mostly raw coins without grades.