• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spots on copper.

16 posts in this topic

On 2/19/2023 at 3:58 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Key date, rare or something ?

The coin is a (matte) proof, of which 1,365 were reported minted, as opposed to 75,238,432 Philadelphia Lincoln cents made for circulation.  They are identified by their finely grainy finish, broad rims, and very strong strike. This coin, graded PF63 RB, presently lists $825 in the NGC Price Guide, whereas a MS 63 RB regular 1914 cent lists $90.

On 2/19/2023 at 4:19 PM, Sandon said:

The coin is a (matte) proof, of which 1,365 were reported minted, as opposed to 75,238,432 Philadelphia Lincoln cents made for circulation.  They are identified by their finely grainy finish, broad rims, and very strong strike. This coin, graded PF63 RB, presently lists $825 in the NGC Price Guide, whereas a MS 63 RB regular 1914 cent lists $90.

Without all or most of the black spots, what grade would it have gotten ?

What causes spotting in a copper coin like a penny ?  

I believe for gold coins it's the copper alloy mixed in for pre-1933 gold coins; I'll double-check. 

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 2/20/2023 at 10:17 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

What causes spotting in a copper coin like a penny ?  

I believe for gold coins it's the copper alloy mixed in for pre-1933 gold coins; I'll double-check. 

Most are from low pH droplets. 

Copper and largely copper alloys such as the bronze of which this 1914 cent is composed (95% copper, 5% zinc and tin) are highly reactive. The spots and small areas of corrosion such as those on this coin can result from a bit of dust or a droplet of saliva. The sources of the deterioration appear to have been removed, so the coin should be relatively stable.  However, I've never understood why collectors are willing to pay enormous prices for "red" copper coins, as the color is always at risk of fading or spotting, even in a grading service holder and isn't guaranteed by the grading services.  

There are relatively few "red" matte proof Lincoln cents, as many were stored for years in paper envelopes that caused them to tone.  Many of the toned coins, which may be graded "RB" or "BN", feature various shades of blue, green and orange and are considered to be quite attractive.

On 2/20/2023 at 10:40 AM, Sandon said:

Copper and largely copper alloys such as the bronze of which this 1914 cent is composed (95% copper, 5% zinc and tin) are highly reactive. The spots and small areas of corrosion such as those on this coin can result from a bit of dust or a droplet of saliva. The sources of the deterioration appear to have been removed, so the coin should be relatively stable.  However, I've never understood why collectors are willing to pay enormous prices for "red" copper coins, as the color is always at risk of fading or spotting, even in a grading service holder and isn't guaranteed by the grading services.  

There are relatively few "red" matte proof Lincoln cents, as many were stored for years in paper envelopes that caused them to tone.  Many of the toned coins, which may be graded "RB" or "BN", feature various shades of blue, green and orange and are considered to be quite attractive.

I have read that ANY “RD” matte proof Lincoln should be viewed with maximum suspicion. It has more than likely been messed with.