• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver 2005 Quarter Found

37 posts in this topic

I'm pretty new to collecting coins I do it mostly for the books. I did find this quarter that is stamped with P mint mark but the quarter is made of silver. Any thoughts if this is rare coin or not? 

IMG_0588.jpg

Edited by RGomez915
Add picture

There is nothing here to suggest this is silver. In fact, it doesn’t even RESEMBLE a silver coin. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 2/15/2023 at 6:26 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

2065? Slightly ahead of its time. Like Studebaker

Did you forget your glasses Bill?  What may look like a top loop of a "6" is just a crease in the flip. :baiting:

[P.S. I did a double take when I first looked at it too. ;)]

Edited by EagleRJO

On 2/15/2023 at 7:56 PM, EagleRJO said:

Did you forget your glasses Bill?  What may look like a top loop of a "6" is just a crease in the flip. :baiting:

I had to look at the date twice myself. lol The crease got my attention also. I dont see how a silver coin could even be struck at Philly. I wouldnt think they would even have any silver quarter planchets at that mint. 

Edited by Hoghead515

Although I understand that there are a few 1965 quarters that were struck on stray silver planchets intended for 1964 dated coinage, there would be no reason for silver quarter planchets to be at the Philadelphia mint in 2005. The mint wasn't even housed in the same building. The present facility opened in 1969.

A 90% silver planchet as used on 2005-S silver proofs would weigh 6.25 grams.  A normal copper-nickel clad quarter with a copper core would weigh approximately 5.67 grams.

Here is the quarter on the scale, the front and back as well as the side. I took the quarter to a local coin shop where he advised me that it was silver and could not give me information on it which lead me to NGC. Thanks for any help provided!

IMG_0590.jpg

IMG_0592.jpg

IMG_0593.jpg

IMG_0594.jpg

It also tells the tale of the local coin shop. The tale is titled, “The local coin shop guy is a m-o-r-o-n.” It’s a very common tale, repeated in town after town. Many are unbelievably stupid. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 2/16/2023 at 1:09 PM, VKurtB said:

It also tells the tale of the local coin shop. The tale is titled, “The local coin shop guy is a m-o-r-o-n.” It’s a very common tale, repeated in town after town. Many are unbelievably stupid. 

Or they see you coming and tell you what you want to hear. Now you are happy and leave. I have seen some shops if you are not there to buy please say goodbye.

On 2/16/2023 at 1:05 PM, J P M said:

Or they see you coming and tell you what you want to hear. Now you are happy and leave. I have seen some shops if you are not there to buy please say goodbye.

Maybe I’d rather not argue with people too, if I couldn’t just log out. The ignorance level is absolutely frightening. 

On 2/16/2023 at 12:05 PM, J P M said:

Very true, and coin shops make money by selling, any smart owner does not want to tell a prospective new customer bad news and have them leave mad.   Better to tell them something positive, even if not totally true, and hope they return and buy, maybe by the third visit for information only will the coin shop be less positive.

On 2/16/2023 at 1:15 PM, Coinbuf said:

Better to tell them something positive, even if not totally true,

Well there it is. I don’t now, nor ever will, have anything to sell to a beginner. All I care about is truth, and not a whit about some beginner’s feeeeelings. Don’t like cold hard truth? Not my problem. It’s yours. 

On 2/16/2023 at 12:26 PM, RGomez915 said:

I took the quarter to a local coin shop where he advised me that it was silver and could not give me information on it which lead me to NGC.

The pic of the coin edge shows a slight copper color with the core of a clad coin comprised of 75% copper, and the weight at 5.7g definitively establishes it is a clad copper-nickel coin and not silver.  The mint spec for a clad coin is 5.670g, so that is spot on.

The mint spec for silver is 6.250g, which isn't even close considering tolerances.  Plus, it just wouldn't make sense as there wouldn't even be silver quarter planchets at that mint which could have accidently been used.

The coin shop telling you it was silver, when it isn't, tells you that they can not be trusted to give you accurate information.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 2/17/2023 at 10:30 AM, RGomez915 said:

Thank yall for helping me with this coin. Will put in a book  for my grand kids can see.

Good luck with your collecting endeavors. I applaud you for coming on the board and looking for help with your quarter. It is disappointing that a dealer incorrectly told you the quarter was silver. 

Enjoy your day.

On 2/17/2023 at 10:30 AM, RGomez915 said:

Thank yall for helping me with this coin.

If you stick around posting coins and questions you will lean quite a lot about coins and coin collecting in general, including the answer to your question and identifying clad coins which occasionally comes up.  If you are interested there is an excellent thread by @Sandonon resources for collectors with many references I find to be invaluable.

On 2/16/2023 at 11:14 AM, Sandon said:

... there would be no reason for silver quarter planchets to be at the Philadelphia mint in 2005 ... A 90% silver planchet as used on 2005-S silver proofs would weigh 6.25 grams.  

@Sandon, @RWB, et al. Although the op's coin is definitely clad, I am just curious about the possibility of there being 90% silver quarter rolls at the Philadelphia mint, even though they may not be striking anything that would require those rolls for a particular year, such as 2005 for the coin being discussed.

If they have struck "S" mark silver proofs at that mint in the past, what do they do with any leftover rolls?  It would seem like they would just store them for possible future use.

And then, however astronomically unlikely, what if the new unqualified forklift driver they hired to meet DEI targets mistakenly grabs a leftover silver roll for a clad run.  The poor product quality, poor quality control, poor product packaging, and other issues that are coming up since the mint went woke early last year makes me wonder if that actually could happen.

@EagleRJO--"S" mintmarked coins are made in San Francisco, not Philadelphia!  It is my understanding that the planchets (blanks) for the 90% (now .999) silver proofs for the silver proof sets that have been issued since 1992 are fabricated by private companies and delivered to the mint where they are to be used. I don't think planchets come in "rolls" either, and struck proofs are individually sent for packaging in sets.  Planchets intended for proofs are presumably carefully shipped to avoid scratches.

There have been no 90% quarters to have been struck in Philadelphia, as I recall, since 1966, and these were dated 1964 and struck at the third Philadelphia mint, which closed in 1969. (I recall reading that the building is now used as a school.)  I recall that proof trial strikes for Bicentennial quarters were made in Philadelphia circa 1974 without mint marks, but I believe that these were 40% silver (clad).  It's just not possible for leftover 90% silver planchets or struck coins to be stored at the current Philadelphia mint!

It's theoretically possible that silver planchets intended for proofs could be mistakenly used at the San Francisco mint to coin "S" mint circulation strike quarters of the sort that have been sold at a premium to collectors in rolls and bags since 2012, but so far none has been reported.  I wouldn't want to encourage the unscrupulous to plate or paint clad ones to pass them off as such!

Something to keep in mind, it is not all that uncommon for the clading to cover some or all of the edge of a coin giving it the appearance of a silver coin.   I have found several myself and have seen many like the one in the op shown/posted over the years.

On 2/20/2023 at 11:25 AM, EagleRJO said:

@Sandon, @RWB, et al. Although the op's coin is definitely clad, I am just curious about the possibility of there being 90% silver quarter rolls at the Philadelphia mint, even though they may not be striking anything that would require those rolls for a particular year, such as 2005 for the coin being discussed.

If they have struck "S" mark silver proofs at that mint in the past, what do they do with any leftover rolls?  It would seem like they would just store them for possible future use.

And then, however astronomically unlikely, what if the new unqualified forklift driver they hired to meet DEI targets mistakenly grabs a leftover silver roll for a clad run.  The poor product quality, poor quality control, poor product packaging, and other issues that are coming up since the mint went woke early last year makes me wonder if that actually could happen.

Nope. No S coins are struck at Philly. No silver quarters at Philly since Bob Uecker was catching for the Phillies. There is absolutely no way on Gawd’s green earth this 2005P quarter is silver. It. Is. Impossible. It just boggles my mind the 💩 that some people can be led to believe. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 2/20/2023 at 1:17 PM, Sandon said:

"S" mintmarked coins are made in San Francisco, not Philadelphia!  It is my understanding that the planchets (blanks) for the 90% (now .999) silver proofs for the silver proof sets that have been issued since 1992 are fabricated by private companies and delivered to the mint where they are to be used. I don't think planchets come in "rolls" either ...

"Rolls" was not the correct term, although accurate descriptively.  The US mint uses huge "Coils" of various composition metals to produce blanks.  They are about two feet wide and 1,500 feet long!  Attached is a pic of a coil being handled by special equipment due to the weight.  For size comparison you can see under the coil pallet the legs of a worker in black pants just beyond the equipment.

The US mint still produces blanks for all coins except pennies, numismatic coins, and bullion coins which are purchased from private companies.  So the mint does produce the blanks for quarters.  See this link to a US mint webpage with that info ... https://www.usmint.gov/learn/production-process/coin-production

US Mint Coil for Blanks.jpg