• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any one venture a guess to the grade of this one

11 posts in this topic

Your 1944 Lincoln cent grades Good (G 06) to Very Good (VG 08) and is only worth at most a few cents in such a well-circulated condition.  Go to PCGS Photograde Online - Estimating Coin Grades Has Never Been Easier for an online grading guide for these coins, or www.pcgs.com/photograde for all U.S. coin series. Common date Lincoln "wheat reverse" cents only have significant values if they have been graded and sealed in a holder by a reputable grading service, especially NGC or PCGS, MS 67 or higher (Superb Gem Uncirculated) with full original mint "red" color.  For additional resources that may help you to learn about U.S. coins and how to value them, see the following topic:

On 2/10/2023 at 9:05 AM, Thomas Beers said:

I’m not sure about the grading process and I think this is pretty good for 1944 and worth wise why people have them for sale for 100s of dollars

You need more study.  ;)   Your coin grades VG or lower, the obv is slightly better than the rev, the value for a common date coin like this in this condition is less than ten cents retail and much of that value is for the copper in the coin.  Here is a photo taken from photograde, notice how on the coin I have posted on the rev the wheat stalk lines and kernels are still visible and separate.   On your coin the lines and kernels are smooth from wear, your rev grades more like G06, so even though the obv is a nice Fine, the rev brings down the grade of the coin.

Edited to add:  It is true that you can see coins like this with outrageous asking prices on places like etsy, facebook, and others.   Those sellers have no morals or scruples and are looking rip people off, sad but it sometimes works.

image.png.22542d1f72999eef19ca001e297613d9.png

Here is what a nice uncirculated coin looks like, this coin is from my registry set and NGC has graded this coin MS67RD.   The NGC price guide shows this coin's value at $250, but examples at this grade can be found for around $200 now and then.   Examples graded MS66RD usually sell for close to $100.

1944cobv.jpg

1944crev.jpg

Edited by Coinbuf

On 2/10/2023 at 11:05 AM, Thomas Beers said:

I’m not sure about the grading process and I think this is pretty good for 1944 and worth wise why people have them for sale for 100s of dollars

It looks like VG to me too considering both sides.  Also, you can't use asking prices on eBay as an accurate gauge of value.  There are people asking $10,000 for a Presidential dollar coin worth ... drum roll ... $1.00.  You need to look at sold listings or the NGC Price Guide for an approximate value ... https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/united-states/cents/99/

On 2/11/2023 at 8:41 AM, EagleRJO said:

It looks like VG to me too considering both sides.  Also, you can't use asking prices on eBay as an accurate gauge of value.  There are people asking $10,000 for a Presidential dollar coin worth ... drum roll ... $1.00.  You need to look at sold listings or the NGC Price Guide for an approximate value ... https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/united-states/cents/99/

Very true. Everytime I look a coin up on google the first thing pops up is listings for common coins worth face value priced for thousands of dollars. Recently my sisters stepson found a quarter from the seventies while metal detecting. He was telling me how he found a coin worth $10,000 dollars. He showed it to me and I told him it was only worth 25 cents. Then he argued with me and showed me one like it on Etsy someone had priced for $10,000. I had to explain the reality to him and showed him the red book values and told him just because some insufficiently_thoughtful_person post one on line for sale at some crazy price dosent mean thats what its worth. He was a little torn up where he had high hopes. Websites like Etsy and others need to start doing something and start taking those listings down. I know they wont. Best thing we can do is try and educate people. Most people are smart enough not to pay that kind of money before they do a little researching first but Im sure theres one or two out there somewhere who fell for them. Especially the ones with machine doubling bragged up as rare doubled dies. 

On 2/11/2023 at 12:03 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Websites like Etsy and others need to start doing something and start taking those listings down. I know they wont. Best thing we can do is try and educate people.

There is a way to report outrageously priced items on eBay.  On the right side and just above the Item Description click on "Report an Item".  That sometimes removes the Listing temporarily, and it's back up at a later time with like a different price, and other times I don't see it anymore.

Especially the ones with machine doubling bragged up as rare doubled dies.

That is a very insidious rip off on eBay and Etsy where they list coins for sale as having doubled dies when in fact it's machine doubling.  I post the attached whenever this comes up so hopefully less people fall for that scam.

Doubled Die Graphic.jpg