• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1941 penny error coin
1 1

16 posts in this topic

It could be a capped die error. Some of the devices are repeated. The pictures are not  clear it is hard to tell for sure. Is the coin curved a bit ?  

Edited by J P M

I'm somewhat "on the fence" regarding whether this 1941 Canadian cent is a legitimate mint error such as a "die cap" that received multiple strikes or an intentionally altered coin that could have been created with another 1941 Canadian cent, a vice and/or a hammer.  It may be worthwhile to submit it to NGC or another legitimate grading service for a professional opinion.

On 2/9/2023 at 6:45 PM, Sandon said:

I'm somewhat "on the fence" regarding whether this 1941 Canadian cent is a legitimate mint error such as a "die cap" that received multiple strikes or an intentionally altered coin that could have been created with another 1941 Canadian cent, a vice and/or a hammer.  It may be worthwhile to submit it to NGC or another legitimate grading service for a professional opinion.

I agree this is a tough one to say for sure the fact that some devices look real like the beaded edge on the obverse is stretched out that is hard to recreate.

On 2/9/2023 at 6:02 PM, J P M said:

I agree this is a tough one to say for sure the fact that some devices look real like the beaded edge on the obverse is stretched out that is hard to recreate.

C’mon, guys. Look at the incuse upside down date on the strong leaf at 10 o’clock. It’s NOT 1941. It looks like either 1960 or 1980. It absolutely ends in “0”, and the third digit is NOT an angular digit like a “4”. Turn up your skepticism machines, guys. 

On 2/9/2023 at 7:45 PM, VKurtB said:

C’mon, guys. Look at the incuse upside down date on the strong leaf at 10 o’clock. It’s NOT 1941. It looks like either 1960 or 1980. It absolutely ends in “0”, and the third digit is NOT an angular digit like a “4”. Turn up your skepticism machines, guys. 

I didn't pick up on the "0" in the original photos as I should have. In the second set, there is clearly a reverse, incuse image of "1950" in the style used on 1950 Canadian cents!  It's pretty clear, therefore, that this is a "vice job", not a mint error. However, I'm still not sure how the positive raised secondary images of "1941" and "Canada" were created.  

Nice "catch", Kurt!

Edited by Sandon

On 2/9/2023 at 7:04 PM, Sandon said:

I didn't pick up on the "0" in the original photos as I should have. In the second set, there is clearly a reverse, incuse image of "1950" in the style used on 1950 Canadian cents!  It's pretty clear, therefore, that this is a "vice job", not a mint error. However, I'm still not sure how the positive raised secondary images of "1941" and "Canada" were created.  

Nice "catch", Kurt!

Hey, I’m not just another pretty face over here, you know. 

On 2/9/2023 at 8:40 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Damaged, I'm not sure how the additional raised details were formed but I don't think they are a result of a die cap, they are too sharp for that.

On 2/9/2023 at 8:04 PM, Sandon said:

Nice "catch", Kurt!

Well that 1950 thing kinda puts a Kibosh on the whole error. What fun coins show up on this forum people are so clever. Good Eye Kurt :golfclap: 

On 2/13/2023 at 3:14 PM, Blesscoin said:

Thank you all for all opinions I still have confusion about how the date was doubled and raised not indented and canada as well  

It may have actually been a true error coin, however, as has been pointed out someone thought they could make it extra special and ruined the coin with a vice job on the coin.   Unfortunate as it now is just a damaged coin.