• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

One of a kind ??

12 posts in this topic

I have a 1968 silver planchet clad in silver that's 2.56 grams and what appears to be struck with no collar around the die. You can make out the date with your eye and it's a little bit larger than a penny and just shy of a nickel in dia. And it's about half the thickness of a dime.  It does have the reeds on the edges. I know there was a 1968 oddity like this one but without the collar error. I'm wondering if this was struck first then the error fixed and then the other one went through. I also know that there were three other examples from 1965 that were like this and sold for pretty good money I think like 9k or 12 k. If any one wants to take a stab at what they think I may or may not have please feel free to chime in thanks 

20230202_011504-0.jpg

20230204_140216-0.jpg

20230202_011253-0.jpg

20230204_140416-0-0.jpg

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

The date on your coin has been virtually obliterated, so I do not understand how you could have determined it to have been dated 1968. If you are correct that the weight is approximately 2.56 grams, it is likely a normal .900 fine silver dime minted from 1946-64 (official weight 2.5 grams) that has been mutilated, likely by being run over by motor vehicles on a roadway or parking lot. Based on what I can see of its coloration, it may also be a normal 1965 to date copper-nickel clad dime with a copper core, whose official weight is 2.27 grams, and which was so mutilated. I am unclear what you mean by a "silver planchet clad in silver". 

Your coin does not appear to have been broadstruck. The claimed thinness is also likely due to the coin having been crushed by vehicles or other heavy objects.  For some examples of what broadstruck coins look like, see Mint Error Coin Chronicles: Broadstrikes | NGC (ngccoin.com).  You should be able to find additional examples on error-ref.com.

On 2/6/2023 at 2:33 PM, Kimin said:

I have a 1968 silver planchet clad in silver that's 2.56 grams and what appears to be struck with no collar around the die. You can make out the date with your eye and it's a little bit larger than a penny and just shy of a nickel in dia. And it's about half the thickness of a dime.  It does have the reeds on the edges. I know there was a 1968 oddity like this one but without the collar error. I'm wondering if this was struck first then the error fixed and then the other one went through. I also know that there were three other examples from 1965 that were like this and sold for pretty good money I think like 9k or 12 k. If any one wants to take a stab at what they think I may or may not have please feel free to chime in thanks 

A silver planchet from who or what ?  What was this coin intended to be ?

Where do you see sales for $9,000 - $12,000 ?  Do you have a link ? 

Welcome to the forum, BTW. (thumbsu

On 2/6/2023 at 1:33 PM, Kimin said:

20230202_011504-0.jpg

20230204_140216-0.jpg

20230202_011253-0.jpg

20230204_140416-0-0.jpg

STOP CARING ABOUT ROAD RASH. 

On 2/8/2023 at 4:16 PM, JT2 said:

ummmmm what we have here is a failure to communicate>...................

Cool Hand Luke