• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why Blackout barcodes?
2 2

15 posts in this topic

I have a bunch of slabbed coins in my collection and I share photographs of them on this forum.  Lately, I have seen a number of people marking through the barcode on posted pictures.  My question is what can be stolen or hijacked from the barcode or is it just personal preference to not share?  Thanks in advance.

Isn't that how the counterfeits counterfeit? So should a person decide to run the slab number it will come up genuine? I'm sure I saw that before somewhere. I remember entering the number and all and the Coin I entered it for looked nothing like the one produce via PCGS. Wasn't my Coin and I can't recall why I bothered . Had actually forgotten about it til now. 

It might help deter counterfeit slabs if the TPG's listed which coins are registered when looking up cert #s, might help them increase registry participation too. Or the coins are automatically transferred to the individuals registry after grading/ shipping, if the submitter sells the coin the buyer must request a transfer. It might be a little annoying for the submitter but they can always ignore the email.

You named two of the three reasons for blacking out the barcode (there may be more)

1) Fraudulent Registry listings

2) To combat counterfeiting

3) the owner does not want a prospective buyer to know how much he paid for it - if that information is available from auctions and the like. 

On 1/24/2023 at 6:51 PM, J P M said:

Yes it is to try to cut down on counterfeit slabs.

I also block out the barcode to do my very small part helping prevent counterfeit slabs which I picked up from you quite a while ago.

I know they are all over the place, but it may pop up searching for a specific coin. That and privacy reasons.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 1/24/2023 at 7:47 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

It might help deter counterfeit slabs if the TPG's listed which coins are registered when looking up cert #s, might help them increase registry participation too. Or the coins are automatically transferred to the individuals registry after grading/ shipping, if the submitter sells the coin the buyer must request a transfer. It might be a little annoying for the submitter but they can always ignore the email.

I sometimes have to wait until a coin clears from the previous owner before I can add a new coin to my registry set. So the system works if the coin is in a registry. However if it passes from hand to hand without being submitted a fake coin could be around for a while before it is discovered.  

On 1/24/2023 at 3:36 PM, Coinbuf said:

I assume it is a personal preference, in theory someone could use the cert number and try to use your coin in the registry.   However, if you have the coin in your inventory/registry the system would notify you when or if anyone tries to use your coin.   I have no issue with showing the cert, but usually I take my photos as close as possible and crop out as much of the background as possible.

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.  

It's not so much for me.....my understanding was that LEGITIMATE bar codes could be used with alternative, fake coins in LEGITIMATE PCGS/NGC holders. :o

Net-Net, you can't use a legitimate, real bar code for my Saint-Gaudens coin to pass off your copy which isn't real but might be 1 ounce of real gold with or without a "grade" in the front that matches mine holder.

I mean, I've seen where people sell empty slabs on eBay, or somewhere. I never looked at the ads but assumed one point in time that they had a Graded Coin inside and for whatever reason, most likely theft/Burglaries, and then so would also have barcodes and grades, etc on those slabs and would ultimately be filled with Coins that do not meet the criteria on the labels. Is that how they work? Or am I off in left field on that? 

Anyone here ever scan an NGC barcode successfully?

What information comes up?

How did you do it?

Did you need special equipment, a downloaded app?

I blurred out my Certification Numbers because I have something to lose of considerable value.  I would have done the barcodes too, but I don't know how anyone other than an NGC "higher-up" would know how to access information from them.

On 1/25/2023 at 1:24 PM, USAuPzlBxBob said:

Anyone here ever scan an NGC barcode successfully?

What information comes up?

How did you do it?

Did you need special equipment, a downloaded app?

I blurred out my Certification Numbers because I have something to lose of considerable value.  I would have done the barcodes too, but I don't know how anyone other than an NGC "higher-up" would know how to access information from them.

I am not sure but I would think the bar cod has the same info if not more of what is on the whole label. So I just blank out all of it . They do make barcode hand held scanners. I am not tech enough to know if they can read off a PC screen. My coins may not be as valuable as your puzzle box coins but they are still worth enough to try to protect us from the Bad Guys out there.    

On 1/25/2023 at 3:24 PM, Tigerbait said:

If you have an I-Phone or Android phone, I would recommend going to the Apple App Store or the Google Play store and downloading/installing the NGC App.  Most Smart phones have forward facing cameras that will automatically scan the barcode for you, once you open the Application and Click on Verify NGC Certification.  It will bring up information that is specific to your coin.  ie. Year, Mint and if applicable, NGC price guide value.  I find it extremely informative to give me quick information on a scanned slab.  The PCGS Application is very similar.

Thats what I done. Ive had the app installed since 2019.