• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another fake?

17 posts in this topic

As one would expect, the coin from China is definitely fake.  All genuine 1794 silver dollars were struck from a single pair of dies. Note how the positions and shapes of the stars and letters on the Chinese coin differ from those on the genuine coin in @RWB's photos. There are many other differences, one of which is that the eagle's eye on the fake is concave and ill-defined, whereas on the genuine coin it is a convex and clear round dot. Unfortunately, this fake could still be deceptive to the ill-informed who wouldn't bother to compare it with photos of genuine examples. 

Because these coins are so rare, the counterfeiter couldn't get a genuine coin from which to make an impression.  Chinese counterfeits of later series such as Morgan dollars may not have immediately obvious differences from genuine pieces and can be more deceptive.

On 1/20/2023 at 2:03 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Is that a Bald Eagle on the reverse ?

Looks more like one of those rubber chickens I see being thrown at "Svengoolie" on MeTV Saturday Nights !! xD

Shhhhh....that's the great secret of the "All-Seeing Eye" on your dollar bill.

On 1/20/2023 at 1:23 PM, RWB said:

Don’t encourage the wackos, Roger. They already believe wacky junk. 

On 1/22/2023 at 10:25 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Would I be wrong in saying that buying raw coins today is more dangersous than 10 years ago ?  25 years ago ?  40 years ago ?  hm

Depends on what you are scared of. 

Exceptional counterfeits have been around since the beginning of time. Take a look at the contemporary counterfeit ancient coins that fool the experts. The counterfeit US gold coins from the middle east in the 1950s. 

I don't believe it is more dangerous today. Buyers are dumber today than in the past. They have a massive amount of knowledge at their fingertips, but they close their eyes and do stupid things instead.

On 1/22/2023 at 12:25 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Would I be wrong in saying that buying raw coins today is more dangersous than 10 years ago ?  25 years ago ?  40 years ago ?  hm

Measurably more dangerous than ANY past year. The difference year to year in Chinese fakes is HUGE. 

On 1/23/2023 at 3:09 PM, gmarguli said:

Buyers are dumber today than in the past.

Ding! Ding! Ding! Winnah, winnah, chicken dinnah! NEVER underestimate the power of modern American stupidity. Election returns prove it. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 1/18/2023 at 2:17 PM, RWB said:

fd3f326b-b321-441f-97a9-ac46ec39c455.thumb.jpg.3d6ff3943a6f57e3abf2e615c23cdbc5.jpg

[Photos by Stack's-Bowers Galleries.]

Is that Eagle on the right Jewish ?  Looks like he's wearing a yarmulke. xD

Either that or he's angelic and has a halo over his head.xD

Roger, please see if the Newman Portal can shed any light on this deep theological question.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 1/20/2023 at 2:23 PM, RWB said:

I already knew that....didn't you know that E Pluribus Unum means "We're Watching You" in Latin ?(thumbsu

On 1/23/2023 at 7:07 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Roger, please see if the Newman Portal can shed any light on this deep theological question.

OK. I'll look under "Eagle wearing crushed fez; no tassel."

Image1.jpg.25956b69d778be8729d3da156405562e.jpg

Edited by RWB