• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Colonial Coinage History
1 1

26 posts in this topic

Does anyone know of any good history books about colonial coinage they would recommend? Id like to find one that tells the history behind the coppers minted in each state. One that tells the history about the designers, the mint it was struck at, etc. I take an intrest in that sort of thing and wanting to learn more about them. Ive seen books on google but couldnt find no descriptions for the books. By the few pictures provided it mostly showed pictures of them and the mintages. Id like to learn a little history in there also. Although Ill never be able to afford most of the colonial coins I still like to read about them. I may be able to own a handful of cheaper ones in the future. Ive already got a Connecticut copper in my collection I really like. I love learning all I can about that time period. Thank you my friends. 

On 1/12/2023 at 12:04 AM, l.cutler said:

If you are looking for a single book covering the different coinages, believe it or not, the best single volume is still The Early Coins of America by Sylvester Sage Crosby.  Originally written in the 1870's most the information is still relevant.  Later research has changed some of the thinking but most of the history of the mints and the people involved is still valid. There are inexpensive modern reprints, the photographic plates in the reprints are pretty poor but the written text is all there.  The Whitman Encyclopedia of Colonial and Early American coins is a good starter book on the different series, it doesn't go into great detail, but the basic info is there.  The separate books on the different series in the C4 link posted are fantastic, and are based on all the latest research, they are expensive however. 
I have read many such books. I liked all of them very much. "The Copper Coins of Massachusetts" by Sydney P. Noe - This book focuses on the colonial copper coinage in Massachusetts and offers interesting details about the process of making them. Also "Early American Coppers" by Henry C. Miller is not only a book, but also a resource organization that brings together collectors and researchers of colonial coins. Lately I've been distracted from coins. I prefer novels based on real stories and the like. Recently researched the question "assisted suicide is not a murder", found https://edubirdie.com/examples/assisted-suicide-is-not-a-murder/ for this. I hope these recommendations will help you delve into the history of colonial coinage and satisfy your curiosity. Good luck on your journey to explore this fascinating topic!

I can also recommend you some books on the history of colonial coinage. Here are some of them:

"Early Ameican Coins" by William H. Sheldon - This book provides a broad overview of colonial coins and their history in the US.
"The Colonial Coins of Vermont" by Hillyer Ryder - This book focuses on the history of Vermont coinage, including designers, the mint, and other interesting aspects.

Edited by davidturner

On 6/26/2023 at 2:31 PM, davidturner said:

I can also recommend you some books on the history of colonial coinage. Here are some of them:

"Early Ameican Coins" by William H. Sheldon - This book provides a broad overview of colonial coins and their history in the US.
"The Colonial Coins of Vermont" by Hillyer Ryder - This book focuses on the history of Vermont coinage, including designers, the mint, and other interesting aspects.

I wasn't aware that Sheldon wrote a book on colonial coins, I have his book on large cents, do you have any more info on it? Thanks, I'm always on the lookout for more books!

On 6/29/2023 at 12:21 PM, LINCOLNMAN said:

I don't recall the title, but Dave Bowers put together a nice encyclopedia. I thought it a great primer. 

...as r so many of his books...virtually all r written with the collector in mind, as that is the intended reader, both the established collector n the new collector can benefit from his approach to collecting coins n his portrayal of the history of numismatics...without question, the best numismatic writer on US coinage, period....

On 6/29/2023 at 12:21 PM, LINCOLNMAN said:

I don't recall the title, but Dave Bowers put together a nice encyclopedia. I thought it a great primer. 

That's the Whitman Encyclopedia I mentioned, it's a great little book.

On 6/26/2023 at 9:31 PM, davidturner said:

there are several books that might be of interest to you. I get my inspiration tho from whitman archive https://whitmanarchive.org/criticism/current/encyclopedia/

"The Early Coins of America: And the Laws Governing Their Issue" by Sylvester S. Crosby: This book, first published in 1875, provides a comprehensive overview of colonial coinage in America. It covers the history, minting process, and various types of coins issued by each state.

"Colonial Coins of Vermont: Historical and Numismatic Notes on Vermont Coinage" by Tony Carlotto: Focusing specifically on Vermont coinage, this book explores the history and background of the coins minted in the state. It also delves into the lives of the designers and provides information on the mints where the coins were struck.

"Early American Coins in Color" by Clarence S. Bement: While not solely focused on colonial coinage, this book includes a section on early American coins, providing historical context and background information. It also features color illustrations of the coins, which can be helpful for visual reference.

"The Copper Coins of Massachusetts" by Sydney P. Noe: This book is dedicated to the copper coinage issued by Massachusetts. It discusses the history, minting techniques, and designers involved in the production of these coins.

"The Colonial Coinage of the United States: A Coin Collector's Handbook" by William H. Sheldon: This book offers a general overview of colonial coinage in the United States. It provides historical information and covers a wide range of coins from different states.

These are just a few examples, and there may be other books available that focus on specific states or regions. It's worth checking out reviews and summaries of these books to find the ones that best align with your interests in terms of historical content, minting details, and designers' information. Happy reading and expanding your knowledge of colonial coinage!

Edited by oldbutgold68

On 7/2/2023 at 10:11 PM, oldbutgold68 said:

"The Colonial Coinage of the United States: A Coin Collector's Handbook" by William H. Sheldon: I have found this book here https://essays.edubirdie.com/write-my-dissertation insanely good writing,concise essay and helpful tips!

Very sneaky! I have to hand it to you, that is the best job of hiding  spam in a post that I have seen so far. But, it did not work. You have been reported to the moderators, and you will likely be banned.

Bye bye! :hi:

On 7/3/2023 at 8:27 AM, Just Bob said:

Very sneaky! I have to hand it to you, that is the best job of hiding  spam in a post that I have seen so far. But, it did not work. You have been reported to the moderators, and you will likely be banned.

Bye bye! :hi:

I've just shared a site which i have found really useful,i'll delete it if you find it disturbing,didn't mean to promote spam!

Edited by oldbutgold68

You can play innocent if you want to, but you intentionally hid a Spam link that was totally unrelated to the subject of the thread, and you knew full well what you were doing. And, what's worse is that it's one of those sites that apparently (I did not click the link ) will write your dissertation for you. How dishonest is that? So, how does that work? Do you get paid every time somebody clicks that link?  You don't have to worry about removing it. I'm sure the moderators will take care of that.

On 7/3/2023 at 7:33 AM, Just Bob said:

You can play innocent if you want to, but you intentionally hid a Spam link that was totally unrelated to the subject of the thread, and you knew full well what you were doing. And, what's worse is that it's one of those sites that apparently (I did not click the link ) will write your dissertation for you. How dishonest is that? So, how does that work? Do you get paid every time somebody clicks that link?  You don't have to worry about removing it. I'm sure the moderators will take care of that.

Not yet.

But, but... the gentleman just signed on as a newly-minted newbie.  Nobody is going to sign up, pay his dues, and intentionally cite a source by website that quite openly states its purpose for all to see. And what about "THE HAND"? ? ?  Not a very hospitable reception.  Report if you must -- I would have simply pointed out the possible faux pas committed -- but let's all allow the complaint to be reviewed when it is received by Moderation.  This is reminiscent of the rush to judgment in "Hand 'em High!"

Welcome to the Forum!

Defend spam posters all you want. I will continue to call them out. 

And, no "dues" have to be paid to post here. Membership is free.

And seriously, did you even read his post before he edited it and removed the spam?  

On 7/6/2023 at 1:11 PM, Just Bob said:

Defend spam posters all you want. I will continue to call them out. 

And, no "dues" have to be paid to post here. Membership is free.

And seriously, did you even read his post before he edited it and removed the spam?  

To be clear about it, I am inclined to give any new member -- and I belive you must sign in to post, but may "lurk" about if you wish -- the benefit of the doubt.  Is not the primary purpose of "The Hand" to alert readers that new members are afoot and should be treated accordingly?  It is difficult to take the measure of a man based solely on three posts. I am not in college and do not intend to write an essay.  Accordingly, the website (and subject matter) are of no interest to me. I receive over 300 spam posts a week, down considerably from what I used to.  I believe I saw the suspect post before he edited it out.  That indicates he is a cooperative member; in marked contrast, a certified spamster (or scamster) would have elected to move on without comment.  This member, commendably, stood his ground, apologized, and quickly took down the "objectionable" citation without argument. In any event, I trust Moderation will look into the matter, and rule accordingly.

How is an AI site that writes dissertations going to help or be of interest to Hoghead who asked about Colonial Coinage ?

It might be spam, but spam or sincere intent, I don't see how it helps the OP's search.

On 7/6/2023 at 10:10 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

How is an AI site that writes dissertations going to help or be of interest to Hoghead who asked about Colonial Coinage ?

It might be spam, but spam or sincere intent, I don't see how it helps the OP's search.

This might be due to the rise of AI but spammers, spambots, and the like are veiling links to other sites and the like much more cleverly. 

On 7/7/2023 at 7:20 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

This might be due to the rise of AI but spammers, spambots, and the like are veiling links to other sites and the like much more cleverly. 

The immortal words of the website coordinator, continue to ring in my ears... no contentiousness and Be Nice of Be Gone.  The OP made it clear he was interested only in reading good books in Colonial Counage History. Not writing essays or dissertations on the subject.  All of what members have said could have simply been politely pointed out to the mature gentleman, a newcomer to the site, minus the threatening language. The entire affair could have been handled better to the credit of the membership and Forum.

I guess at some point I'll have to see how an AI chatbot answers some basic coin/gold/Saint questions that I already know the answer to. 

Should be interesting.xD

Edited by GoldFinger1969

...u r correct in ur "might be"...the person or bot that responded is most likely not a real newcomer...there r several instances where the responder uses the OP's subject n embeds the link to the spam site...most of these seem to be bout essay writing etc....

On 7/7/2023 at 9:43 AM, zadok said:

...u r correct in ur "might be"...the person or bot that responded is most likely not a real newcomer...there r several instances where the responder uses the OP's subject n embeds the link to the spam site...most of these seem to be bout essay writing etc....

People can actually be paid to generate clicks to links and it is OUR DUTY to ferret those out of this forum. He links to a service that generates fake papers and dissertations. How can there be ANY defense of that?

On 7/7/2023 at 7:21 PM, VKurtB said:

People can actually be paid to generate clicks to links and it is OUR DUTY to ferret those out of this forum. He links to a service that generates fake papers and dissertations. How can there be ANY defense of that?

Well, creating an account here at NGC Forums and then waiting to post in a thread....all to post a link that might be seen by 10-15 posters.... and then clicked on by 3 or 4.....seems like a waste to me. xD xD xD

On 7/7/2023 at 6:21 PM, VKurtB said:

My thoughts exactly. Thank you.