• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mint damage ?
1 1

23 posts in this topic

Definitely one for my "Good, Bad and Ugly" Parking Lot set with PMD if I had found that. May be heat damage combined with impact damage, as it also appears to have a bit of a "dryer coin" appearance.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 1/4/2023 at 3:46 AM, Thomas Beers said:

I’m thinking some of this damage was done by press … anyone’s opinion?

What suggests that was the case?

Only the design was struck by a press - the rest is common damage as stated by others.

On 1/4/2023 at 3:11 PM, Thomas Beers said:

Curios to what happened to his head though 

Damage. Something hard hit the coin and dented it. Take a quarter from your packet and wack it a few times with a hammer, screw driver, other coins, a teenager...anything hard and unvielding.

On 1/4/2023 at 5:16 PM, RWB said:

... wack it a few times with a hammer, screw driver, other coins, a teenager...anything hard and unvielding.

... RWB's opinions. etc. :baiting::bigsmile:

Edited by EagleRJO

On 1/4/2023 at 3:56 PM, l.cutler said:

Looks like his head took a hard enough hit to bulge out the reverse.

On 1/4/2023 at 4:31 PM, Mike824 said:

If you look at the corresponding area on the reverse, you'll see that it's flattened. So it was out of the coin press when this was done. If it was done in the coin press the reverse would have a normal appearance. 

These.

Neither a lamination nor a struck-through error would show a corresponding flattened bulge on the reverse. All pocket change searchers should take note of this.