• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cool New Smokey PCGS Boc
1 1

7 posts in this topic

The circulated 1928 Lincoln cent is in a "sample slab" that PCGS used, I think, in the late 1980s or early 1990s to show what the holder that replaced the original "rattler" holder looked like.  I assume that the box is of the same vintage.  Some collectors pay a premium for these sample slabs that has no relationship to the nominal value of the coin that they contain.

On 12/30/2022 at 11:12 PM, Bignubnumismatics said:

Just received this in the mail today.

couldn’t find much information other than it was for PCGS internal use only. Any one know when they were issued?

5DC25262-968F-4FE9-B7A6-648857D4B1B0.jpeg

8021CEB4-E04B-484C-9BFC-8CBF96FE5F7A.jpeg

I haven't a clue, but one thing for sure:  it'll cost you a lot more for it today. No, not the slab (which would rub anyone the wrong way for its overstated simplicity: what else would you expect to find on the reverse of a Lincoln Head cent? ) but the box with its texture suggestive of an endangered species. doh!

On 12/31/2022 at 9:05 AM, Sandon said:

The circulated 1928 Lincoln cent is in a "sample slab" that PCGS used, I think, in the late 1980s or early 1990s to show what the holder that replaced the original "rattler" holder looked like.  I assume that the box is of the same vintage.  Some collectors pay a premium for these sample slabs that has no relationship to the nominal value of the coin that they contain.

Yeah, the sample slabs were part of Publisher’s clearing house gimmick and are extremely common. The box as far as I was produced in the early 2000s and unknown publicly until 2004.

On 12/31/2022 at 8:05 AM, Sandon said:

Technically it's not a sample.

It is a production slab, produced by PCGS for Littleton for the Random House "One Minute Coin Expert" by Scott Travers, second edition, ISBN #0-676-60045-X. The quantity produced is variously reported as absurd numbers. Regardless it's common.

TraversScott_zps604707d4.jpg

PCGS-001-3-1-Rev.jpg

PCGS-001-3-1-RevDetail.jpg

Thanks to @bstrauss3 for preserving this kit!  I had seen these slabbed common early wheat cents at coin shows for decades, first in dealers' junk boxes for a dollar or so and later offered for a premium as "rare" sample slabs.  Does anyone know for sure whether only Littleton distributed them, or they were also distributed by PCGS or others?