• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie Question - “orange edge toning”

22 posts in this topic

On 12/29/2022 at 7:23 PM, Seamus8 said:

I recently saw an American Silver Eagle PCGS MS70 in a slab holder that had "orange edge toning".

Can some please explain what the "orange edge toning" means? Does it devalue the coin?

Have a pic?

I couldn't tell you if the orange color has any specific relation to environment, exposure, specific contaminants, etc. that may have led to the toning to turn this color but I can tell you that eye appeal is 100% subjective. Will the type of toning you described devalue the coin, (shrug), probably 50/50 without seeing the coin.

Probably not based on the description, sounds like someone trying to pull one over on a new collector.

On 12/29/2022 at 9:49 PM, Coinbuf said:

Toning of all kind comes from exposure to environmental conditons such as heat, humidity, smoke, and many others.   These ASE coins are a very high silver content, higher than say a Morgan dollar.   As such they tone quicker and are more reactive to poor storage conditons than almost any other US silver coin.   I do not know what caused that toning to begin, but I personally do not find it attractive and for me personally it would devalue the coin.   It is just as likely that another collector might find it very attractive and be willing to pay above market for it.

While I don't think the tone has anything to do with milkspots this coin has two milkspots showing and more could possibly be on the way or already present on the obv.    The two spots I see are located along the rim next to the period between the 1oz and UNITED; the second spot is just above the top left most star.   Personally I'm not a fan of the ASE coin due to the propensity for toning and milkspots.

Dont know what it is about the German marks and half marks of the late 1800s and very early 1900s but they tone some of the most attractive colors Ive seen on coins. Dont know if its something to do with their alloy. Or the enviorment over there. Or some chemical they were exposed to in their packaging. Its hard to say why but Ive seen some truly stunning toned half marks. Im planning on eventually trying to put a set together. I know it will never be completed in my lifetime but my kids or grandkids may finish it. Or maybe not. Still be fun to get a few. Im kinda getting off topic here. But for some reason they tone very beautifully. 

This is exactly the type of "toning" that was called "tarnish" when I began collecting in the 1970s. It was (and for me still is) considered to be ugly and is the reason why so many silver coins have been "cleaned" or dipped.  Even now, it's the colorful toning that is usually thought to be desirable.  

On 12/29/2022 at 10:56 PM, Hoghead515 said:

German marks and half marks of the late 1800s and very early 1900s but they tone some of the most attractive colors Ive seen on coins`.

@Hoghead515I collect older German coins too, and I like the way they tone.  Which set were you thinking about collecting?

On 12/30/2022 at 12:04 PM, Seamus8 said:

Will ASE's stored in slab holders "tarnish" or begin "orange edge toning"?

Also, what is the correct or preferred method of storing slabbed ASE's?

Slabs are not air tight.  I don't know if something like that has happened to slabbed ASE's stored in the Lighthouse Intercept storage boxes in a dry place.

I also find that kind of toning unattractive, but to each their own.  I stopped collecting ASE's because of issues that have recently developed due to poor US mint procedures, like poor quality capsules and milk spots.

Normal room temp and humidity, and away from strong light. Humidity and heat are usually your worst enemies. Also, do not store with ordinary paper documents or in a location with sulfur in the water and air (such as West Virginia or Eastern Kentucky).

I understand that low humidity storage is desirable, so that Is how I store mine in the OGP and a cardboard box.  I just have the regular issue bullion and proof coins going back to 1986.  If they were more valuable coins I might consider something like the Intercept Shield boxes if they have them for the proof coins that are kept in the OGP.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 12/30/2022 at 1:19 PM, EagleRJO said:

@Hoghead515I collect older German coins too, and I like the way they tone.  Which set were you thinking about collecting?

Slabs are not air tight.  I don't know if something like that has happened to slabbed ASE's stored in the Lighthouse Intercept storage boxes in a dry place.

I also find that kind of toning unattractive, but to each their own.  I stopped collecting ASE's because of issues that have recently developed due to poor US mint procedures, like poor quality capsules and milk spots.

The half marks. I already have one. I really like the design and you can usually get them at a fair price. Theres several in that set though. 

On 12/30/2022 at 3:55 PM, Hoghead515 said:

The half marks. I already have one. I really like the design and you can usually get them at a fair price. Theres several in that set though. 

I was curious what set that was.

On 12/30/2022 at 5:40 PM, Seamus8 said:

Hijack away. I am leaning as I read.

For some reason these tone some amazing colors. Some are very attractive. Mine is toned but it dosent have the very attractive toning Im talking about. I still like it though. They were exposed to something over there that turned that silver some beautiful colors. Silver is very reactive when its exposed to certain things. Espically sulfur. Could have been something they used in that mint that was the cause. Maybe improper ventilation. Im just guessing some of the probabilities. May not have been any of the things ive guessed. Maybe someone knowledgable of these coins and the mints over in Germany knows why. Its very interesting though. 

On 12/30/2022 at 12:27 PM, Seamus8 said:

Is there a preferred or correct method for storing silver eagles in the original US mint holders? Temperature, humidity, etc. requirements?

While these are pricy this is the very best way to protect sensitive coins in slabs.

Double protection box

On 12/30/2022 at 6:32 PM, Coinbuf said:

While these are pricy this is the very best way to protect sensitive coins in slabs.

Double protection box

They have a little bit of a discounted price for the IS storage boxes at Wizard Coin Supply ... https://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/product/intercept-shield-double-protection-box.html

Pretty pricy still, and at least for me very valuable coins and bullion go in a safe or deposit box where they wouldn't fit.

IS Storage - Wizard Coin Supply1.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO