• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you guys know about ANICOINS?

20 posts in this topic

The only reputable third-party grading services that are currently in business are NGC and PCGS (top tier) and ANACS and ICG (second tier, mainly because they don't offer registries, price guides or other extensive online services). The CAC grading service will presumably be added to the list of top tier grading services after it starts business.  Among former grading services, I consider only the original PCI (green border label for numerically graded coins, red border label for "problem" coins) to have been a reliable authenticator and grader. (Later gold label PCI holders were issued under the ownership of a dealer who mostly (over)graded his own inventory.) 

The "ANICOINS" acronym appears intended to create confusion with ANACS.  Anyone who can buy some equipment can set himself up as a "grading service". It requires a considerably larger investment to hire the appropriate number of experienced numismatists and ensure reliable and unbiased results.

I call these JGSes, as in Joe's Grading Service. It's like editors. There is zero stopping anyone from saying they're a grading service, just as there's zero stopping any underpaid English BA from proclaiming him or herself an editor. The result is a minority of competent and reputable service providers with a majority who are the Wild West of their endeavors.

On 12/28/2022 at 11:38 AM, Sandon said:

The only reputable third-party grading services that are currently in business are NGC and PCGS (top tier) and ANACS and ICG (second tier, mainly because they don't offer registries, price guides or other extensive online services). The CAC grading service will presumably be added to the list of top tier grading services after it starts business.  Among former grading services, I consider only the original PCI (green border label for numerically graded coins, red border label for "problem" coins) to have been a reliable authenticator and grader. (Later gold label PCI holders were issued under the ownership of a dealer who mostly (over)graded his own inventory.) 

The "ANICOINS" acronym appears intended to create confusion with ANACS.  Anyone who can buy some equipment can set himself up as a "grading service". It requires a considerably larger investment to hire the appropriate number of experienced numismatists and ensure reliable and unbiased results.

...and a grading set....

On 12/28/2022 at 2:48 PM, Stink finger said:

Bob! Slabs are rectangular. Right? When was the last time you saw a coin shaped like a square or triangle for that matter. Yikes. I'm not trying to put you down or hurt your feelings. Coins are round.

The coins may be round but the plastic slabs the TPGs put the coins in after grading are square. Which is what the question was about for any new collectors reading this that didnt know he was being sarcastic. Also there are square coins, octogan shaped coins, triangles, and some ancients are all sorts of shapes. Also children, "Dont do drugs." 

Edited by Hoghead515

On 12/28/2022 at 10:52 AM, Standby said:

Thank you for that information. I have educated myself on this not that I want to sound like I don't appreciate it. It may help others who read this as well.

I basically want to know about  anicoins though if possible.

Anicoins is not a respected or well known company.

Thank you guys for all your help on this I appreciate it.

I like this forum a lot although PCGS is a better fit for me. I don't know why and no offense to anyone here. It just seems to be buzzing with activity and I really don't understand why.

On 12/28/2022 at 1:06 PM, RWB said:

If it's from Jackson, Mississippi, it's probably broken.

Sooooo many tornado laden lines of thunderstorms come from Jackson toward my neck of the woods. 

On 1/1/2023 at 2:00 PM, Standby said:

Thank you guys for all your help on this I appreciate it. I like this forum a lot although PCGS is a better fit for me. I don't know why and no offense to anyone here. It just seems to be buzzing with activity and I really don't understand why.

Probably the registry connection.  Yes, they are a bit more in quantity....I like to think we specialize in QUALITY. xD

Seriously, they do have some savvy folks posting there -- as does CAC Forums -- but we have some great and knowledgeable people here, too.  And we have some specific threads on topics or coins that dwarf what's available over at CU or CT if those are coins that happen to be of interest to someone. (thumbsu