• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie Question - Strange Marks on Coins

19 posts in this topic

I have another newbie (somewhat dumb) question. I have been researching how to grade coins and am confused (again). This time it is about the numbering system used. 

I know MS stands for mint state and AU stands for about uncirculated. I have seen coins referred to as MS 50, 53, 55, 58.

My question: are they the same as AU 50, 53, 55, 58?

image.thumb.png.52e11c9a1158262b509de74e980b97a1.png

On 12/24/2022 at 12:30 PM, Seamus8 said:

I know MS stands for mint state and AU stands for about uncirculated. I have seen coins referred to as MS 50, 53, 55, 58.

My question: are they the same as AU 50, 53, 55, 58?

They should be different.  You might be getting confused as mint state coins are graded 60 to 70 (e.g. MS-60 to MS-70), and there would not be an MS 50.

https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-grading/grading-scale/

MS stands for mint state, and begins at 60. AU stands for almost uncirculated, and begins at 50. If the coin has been circulated (as opposed to dinged up in mint bags), it cannot be MS or better.

There is a slight variation on this for proof coins. Most proofs are uncirculated and follow a grading track parallel to MS (60-70), yet with slightly different criteria because the expectations for proofs are different. However, there is such a thing as a circulated proof (usually happens when some kids swipe someone's coin collection and then go out and spend the proofs), so a coin can get PR-50 for example. I think the cutoff is at PR-45 or so; below that, my information is that they're graded like circulation strikes.

@JKK--Just check the NGC or PCGS population reports for nineteenth century proof coins, especially of proof-only issues and issues (such as 1880 Shield nickels or 1884-85 three cent pieces) where a circulation strike is more valuable than an equivalent proof.  I've actually seen some well-worn pieces designated as proof on the holder.  

Why wouldn't a circulated/impaired proof grade below 45 if freed into circulation? The benchmarks should still be identifiable, straight rims, sharp details, mirrored feilds etc..

I do tend to disagree with coins with proof- like features but no documentation to support such strikes being graded as such but that is a contradiction for another time.

On 12/24/2022 at 8:00 PM, JKK said:

If you're right, which I don't concede but acknowledge is theoretically possible, then I guess whichever grading guide I read that in was incorrect. Guess you can't trust anything you read these days.

The GIST of your post was correct, sometimes we all pick up specific details that turn out to be off a bit.

Don't sweat it, JKK. (thumbsu

Thanks for all the replies. I have a lot of reading and learning to do. If you look at the screenshot below of a 1972-D Kennedy Half Dollar, you will see that PCGS gave it a MS64 designation.

The coin was obviously in circulation as evidenced by the "wear" of the eagle and marks on the eagle's shield. Not to be a wiseass, but I thought I read in the above replies that only uncirculated coins can receive a mint state 60 to 70 designation. 

Can someone explain what I am missing or misinterpreting here?

image.thumb.png.0b102ea9a59a259ea5f5fbc1cc5743ef.png

Edited by Seamus8

On 12/25/2022 at 1:28 AM, Seamus8 said:

Thanks for all the replies. I have a lot of reading and learning to do. If you look at the screenshot below of a 1972-D Kennedy Half Dollar, you will see that PCGS gave it a MS64 designation.

The coin was obviously in circulation as evidenced by the "wear" of the eagle and marks on the eagle's shield. Not to be a wiseass, but I thought I read in the above replies that only uncirculated coins can receive a mint state 60 to 70 designation. 

Can someone explain what I am missing or misinterpreting here?

image.thumb.png.0b102ea9a59a259ea5f5fbc1cc5743ef.png

Ring-a-ding-dings from production mostly and light circulation. Uncirculated or "MS" doesn't necessarily mean that a coin wasn't "out there" prefoming it's intended function at some point/short time. Plenty of coins are broke out of mint rolls in registers for daily commerce.

Edited by Fenntucky Mike

On 12/25/2022 at 1:28 AM, Seamus8 said:

As noted in the thread related to "Black Spots on Quarters" you can have a coin that is in circulation but can still grade as a mint state (MS) coin, as long as there isn't any wear on the coin (minor slide marks or cabinet friction for some older coins aside).

For example, you could get rolls of coins from your local bank that come direct from mint bags which will invariably have some contact marks, which are not considered '"wear", but otherwise could still be in a "mint state" as long as the coins aren't roughly slid across a counter or otherwise handled causing wear.  And for the 1972 Kennedy half dollar the "wear" you are referring to appears to just be contact or bag marks which are not considered wear in grading coins.

On 12/25/2022 at 3:00 AM, EagleRJO said:

As noted in the thread related to "Black Spots on Quarters" you can have a coin that is in circulation but can still grade as a mint state (MS) coin, as long as there isn't any wear on the coin (minor slide marks or cabinet friction for some older coins aside).

For example, you could get rolls of coins from your local bank that come direct from mint bags which will invariably have some contact marks, which are not considered '"wear", but otherwise could still be in a "mint state" as long as the coins aren't roughly slid across a counter or otherwise handled causing wear.  And for the 1972 Kennedy half dollar the "wear" you are referring to appears to just be contact or bag marks which are not considered wear in grading coins.

Welcome Seamus8,,,There are also coins struck from worn Die's that make a coin look old even before it leaves the mint which my be the case on that 72.

Not to belabor the point on grading, but (there is almost always a but) I found this 1993-D Quarter on PCGS. It is graded by PCGS as MS 50.

I am confused (again). I thought that only grades 60 through 70 were designated as MS and 50 through 58 were designated as AU.

Merry Christmas everyone.

image.thumb.png.2e05d34316604b9a2afe56c2a79f4089.png

On 12/25/2022 at 11:17 AM, Seamus8 said:

Not to belabor the point on grading, but (there is almost always a but) I found this 1993-D Quarter on PCGS. It is graded by PCGS as MS 50.

I am confused (again). I thought that only grades 60 through 70 were designated as MS and 50 through 58 were designated as AU.

Merry Christmas everyone.

image.thumb.png.2e05d34316604b9a2afe56c2a79f4089.png

Id say that was a typo.  Should be AU50. Sometimes you will see typos on the slab labels as well. Not very often but it happens. 

Regarding the 1972-D half dollar, if you're referring to the weakness on the eagle's neck and the shield, this is from a weak strike or a worn die and is frequently seen on Kennedy half dollars of that era. The master die was subsequently modified to lower the relief in this area to reduce the number of weak strikes. The strike was probably taken into account by the graders in arriving at the MS 64 grade. So were the number and severity and number of marks and abrasions on the coin, which was almost certainly never in circulation.  Coins made for circulation drop from the press into a bin where they fall on and are hit by many other coins. They are then packed into bags of thousands of coins, and other bags are piled on top of that bag. This is why uncirculated coins made for circulation almost always have such marks (referred to as "bag marks") and abrasions. Coins graded MS 60 to 62 are typically very heavily marked, and even coins graded MS 67 typically have a few noticeable marks and abrasions.

Regarding the description of the 1993-D quarter, note that the "MS" is in parentheses.  It is simply being used on this PCGS Coinfacts page, together with the PCGS code 5935, to identify the coin as a 1993-D quarter, which is a circulation ("MS") issue. The grade on the PCGS label in its holder would be AU 50. You are understandably confusing PCGS's classification system with a grade.

You cannot learn the basics about coins entirely from online sources. When you receive your "Redbook" and grading guide, please read them carefully. You should then go to coin shows and shops, examine the coins of series that interest you to learn their grading and characteristics, and speak to dealers and experienced collectors.  You should also consider joining a local coin club.  It's a lengthy process but a rewarding one.

On 12/24/2022 at 8:00 PM, JKK said:

If you're right, which I don't concede but acknowledge is theoretically possible ...

I am going to have to borrow that affirmative concessional denial one day.  :banana:

On 12/24/2022 at 7:00 PM, JKK said:

If you're right, which I don't concede but acknowledge is theoretically possible, then I guess whichever grading guide I read that in was incorrect. Guess you can't trust anything you read these days.

Indeed one cannot. There is too much misinformation out there. A lie gets around the world twice before the truth gets its boots on.