• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jefferson Nickels

10 posts in this topic

Good morning coin world, so I'm seeking some opinions on a few of my Jefferson Nickels I am uploading

3 -1938 one has an S mint mark 

2-1939 weight 4.97&5.00

Really the 1938 are for show the question lay's in the 1939 Nickels,I'm seeing FS but as I am just getting over a cold my senses may be off if not to much trouble could anyone tell me there opinion and thoughts on this topic? Thank you in advance. Hopefully my pictures are ok...

imagejpeg_0_01~3.jpg

imagejpeg_0_02~3.jpg

Hi Jessie, Are these coins you are considering selling or grading ? You may want to take some cropped shots and post them individually for us to get a better look . 

On 12/18/2022 at 7:12 PM, Coinbuf said:

I cannot tell from the photos if any of the coins are FS or not, we would need to see close up photos of the steps to make that call.    From what I can see I do not think it makes financial sense to have any of these graded and slabbed.   I can say for sure that the 38-S has been in circulation and would be a very poor choice to have graded and slabbed for any financial reasons.   It may be worth the cost to grade and slab if you have a strong sentimental attachment to the coins, although, even then I would still recommend not submitting the 38-S as that coin has seen some circulation.

Thank you for your opinion and no of course I wouldn't grade the 38-S and or really any of them unless I knew the 39's we're FS... The 38's really were just for show other than the S mint mark one I thought they were in great condition and wanted to share... I'm still doing my homework on the grading process...any advice would be greatly appreciated too 🤗

For FS, as I understand it, you must have six full steps without the slightest break. A faint ding in the middle of a single step is enough to disqualify it. You should be able to count them under a loupe, and the reality is that the bottom step is the highest and tends to wear off first--or, quite often, was never fully struck to begin with. In any case, FS doesn't care about the reason. They're either there without interruption or they are not.

They do look like nice Jeffs. Pleasing color.

For grading Jeffs, my own thumbnail estimation point is the triangle over the entryway. If I can see the halfmoon opening, that's something. If it's sharp with full borders, that's also something. One key to getting started with grading is to learn at least one particular by heart and zoom in on that first, just to get an idea what the ceiling is. For example, on a Lincoln wheat cent, F-12 requires all the lines on the wheat. Some may be worn, but if they ain't all there, it ain't F-12 and it doesn't matter a hill of beans how hot the rest of the coin is. VG-8 requires half the lines. Doesn't have that, it can't be better than G-6. And so on. Hopefully by now you have a grading guide that will give you all the specifics.

On 12/18/2022 at 7:48 PM, JKK said:

For FS, as I understand it, you must have six full steps without the slightest break. A faint ding in the middle of a single step is enough to disqualify it. You should be able to count them under a loupe, and the reality is that the bottom step is the highest and tends to wear off first--or, quite often, was never fully struck to begin with. In any case, FS doesn't care about the reason. They're either there without interruption or they are not.

They do look like nice Jeffs. Pleasing color.

For grading Jeffs, my own thumbnail estimation point is the triangle over the entryway. If I can see the halfmoon opening, that's something. If it's sharp with full borders, that's also something. One key to getting started with grading is to learn at least one particular by heart and zoom in on that first, just to get an idea what the ceiling is. For example, on a Lincoln wheat cent, F-12 requires all the lines on the wheat. Some may be worn, but if they ain't all there, it ain't F-12 and it doesn't matter a hill of beans how hot the rest of the coin is. VG-8 requires half the lines. Doesn't have that, it can't be better than G-6. And so on. Hopefully by now you have a grading guide that will give you all the specifics.

5 steps is all PCGS requires to give the FS designation, NGC will make the distinction between 5 or 6 full steps.   And I have seen many coins with the FS designation with disruptions on the steps, conversely coins with pristine steps not noted.   It is a very subjective designation.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 12/18/2022 at 6:50 PM, Coinbuf said:

5 steps is all PCGS requires to give the FS designation, NGC will make the distinction between 5 or 6 full steps.   And I have seen many coins with the FS designation with disruptions on the steps, conversely coins with pristine steps not noted.   It is a very subjective designation.

I don't doubt your assessment, but I also don't recognize this relaxation of standards by them as valid. This is one of those rare situations where it either is or isn't, in my view, and if they are subjective about it I consider them incorrect.

I have some nickels in my collection that in my opinion are not FS yet are graded as such. Perhaps they were part of a big package and slipped by. Maybe a early Monday or late Friday grade