• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whizzing???
2 2

11 posts in this topic

Hey Smellows! Happy Holidays to you all. 

A girl in one of my Groups asked about this Coin. Since it's a newbie Group and somehow dude talked me into being an Admin, I feel like it's my responsibility to help everyone as much as I can even though I know nothing. So I said I'd figure it out. The only thoughts I've been given is that it's been 'Whizzed'. My search for a definition and photo evidence has brought me back here, to my Alma Mater, if I may. Thing is that while the verbal description dows seem to match what I see in this Lincoln, the pictures presented look nothing like this one. Can you guys put any if your knowledge onto my head about it please? And also provide me with either a link to the site for photos or even your own photographic proof of what it is?Thank you.- Karen

FB_IMG_1669337353565~2.jpg

FB_IMG_1669337348400~2.jpg

Whizzing is a process designed to imitate luster by using a wire wheel to impart fine lines onto the surface of a coin. It looks nothing like this coin.

As FMike said above, I have heard that ultrasonic cleaners will produce this look on a coin's surface. I have never experimented on one to find out if this is true or not.

On 11/26/2022 at 9:30 AM, J P M said:

Welcome back Karen, I agree with the others a long bath made Lincoln wrinkle up.

Interesting and appropriate way to put it that really sticks in your mind with that look. ;)

I can't remember which coin I once saw that would have been awesome in the collection it they would not have dipped it in acid.  They had no idea what they had done to a coin which would have been a pretty valuable one before being dipped.  Enough to make a "coin whisperer" want to cry hearing the agony the coin was in. :insane:

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/8146/

And talking about coin whisperers I don't recall @DWLangeposting anything recently.

Edited by EagleRJO