• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is the dime worth grading 1996 W
2 2

37 posts in this topic

While I do not think the answer would be different in this case, it is very difficult to evaluate and answer a question like the one you have asked without very good photos.   It can be very difficult to decern what marks are on the coin and those on the plastic flip, mint cello, or whatever you have this coin in.   Help us to help you by taking the coins out of any temporary holder they may be in before taking photos.

On 11/19/2022 at 6:56 AM, Greenstang said:

Ask yourself, how much do you think that dime is worth.

Unless the answer is at least $150.00, then it is not worth grading.

Personally, I would actually use an even higher number as a submittal tipping point looking at what you could sell a raw coin for compared to what you could get for the coin slabbed less about $100 all-in for grading. There are also other considerations like a graded coin is easier to value, pass on to others or sell, and may be desired for a Registry Set.

However, for the op's coin it seems like an easy call not to submit it for grading, and to just leave it in the OGP or put in a flip if desired to keep it.

Edited by EagleRJO

Ok can’t take it out the original wrap it came in also do you really know anything about this coin it’s only found in sets of 1996 it’s condition is excellent also I appreciate everyone opinion I just want to hear information that can persuade me to get the coin grade as far as the picture is very deceiving  but thanks  you All I guess YouTube sound like a promotion company for the grading company or are they right because this a low minting coin anyone else has a opinion please feel free to speak on it because I like to hear what everyone has to say about this 1996 W dime thanks once again 

Edited by bobbyboshay

Bobby,

Is that the original pliofilm holder from a 1996 Uncirculated Set? I have 6 sets still unopened, but I also have 2 dimes in NGC plastic. MS67 if memory serves. Roger is just plain wrong. He’s riffing. The 1996-W is the key to the set of BU strikes. It’s not worth 10¢, but it’s not worth all that much either. 

On 11/19/2022 at 11:03 PM, bobbyboshay said:

... this a low minting coin anyone else has a opinion please feel free to speak on it because I like to hear what everyone has to say about this 1996 W dime thanks once again 

Even though the 1996-W Roosevelt dime may not be considered a relatively high mintage coin by modern production comparison, with 1,457,000 coins struck, it is still considered a low value coin.  See this PCG$ article which discusses that paradox ... https://www.pcgs.com/news/clad-roosevelt-dime-analysis.  And concerning opinions on the coin and getting it graded I think Hoghead nailed it right off the bat as follows:

On 11/19/2022 at 5:14 AM, Hoghead515 said:

Looks like its got a little bit of chatter on it. By time you paid the fees, shipping, and insurance you could buy one in a lot higher grade. I bought one in ms67 for cheaper than I could have one graded. That would be a nice one to put in a flip.

Unless the coin was in perfect or near perfect condition, which from your limited photos it does not appear to be, it would only have a max value of around $30 per Coin World in excellent condition (1996-W Value Coin World), which is why many chimed in basically agreeing with Hoghead.

On 11/20/2022 at 1:48 AM, EagleRJO said:

Even though the 1996-W Roosevelt dime may not be considered a relatively high mintage coin by modern production comparison, with 1,457,000 coins struck, it is still considered a low value coin.  See this PCG$ article which discusses that paradox ... https://www.pcgs.com/news/clad-roosevelt-dime-analysis.  And concerning opinions on the coin and getting it graded I think Hoghead nailed it right off the bat as follows:

Unless the coin was in perfect or near perfect condition, which from your limited photos it does not appear to be, it would only have a max value of around $30 per Coin World in excellent condition (1996-W Value Coin World), which is why many chimed in basically agreeing with Hoghead.

I just looked at my old reciept and the old lady bought it for me for Christmas. She paid around $40 for it and its NGC certified at MS67 full torch. I cant send one in to have graded for that. 

On 11/19/2022 at 11:03 PM, bobbyboshay said:

Ok can’t take it out the original wrap it came in also do you really know anything about this coin it’s only found in sets of 1996 it’s condition is excellent also I appreciate everyone opinion I just want to hear information that can persuade me to get the coin grade as far as the picture is very deceiving  but thanks  you All I guess YouTube sound like a promotion company for the grading company or are they right because this a low minting coin anyone else has a opinion please feel free to speak on it because I like to hear what everyone has to say about this 1996 W dime thanks once again 

Talking bout one of these aint ya? This is the one I own. They aint that rare. You Tube is a horrible place for information. Theres good info on there but tons of misinformation. You can get on Ebay and buy one graded cheaper than you can get one graded. This one is high grade and made the full torch designation. Got it around $40. When you submit a coin not only do they charge a grading fee they charge for shipping and insurance. Not counting shipping and insurance sending it there. It cost me around $75 to $100 to have a coin sent in and graded. Grading is really just for high dollar coins and bulk submitters. The reason you see coins graded and at a good price is because most of them are sent in bulk by dealers at a discount. They send in 100 or so coins. Compress_20221120_122745_5842.thumb.jpg.63e2952f5c600248f479b899ba0bf00b.jpg

Edited by Hoghead515

Like @EagleRJO mentioned some stuff on YouTube is excellent. Such as the ANA videos. There are other ones thats good to but most spew pure trash. Espically the get rich off pocket change videos. Those are the worst. For every good video there are 100 that spread the worst lies ever. Its hard to know the good from the bad there are so many you have to look through. Your better off reading books such as a Red Book. Its very informative. I recommend it as a guide for any new collector getting started. They are very inexpensive also. Lumii_20221120_193627462.thumb.jpg.aa32adff50fa3bbfa3b630c16e1a6260.jpg

On 11/20/2022 at 7:54 PM, EagleRJO said:

A far as videos on YT about coins I just stick with the ANA eLearning vids, since I know they will be good and reliable, and nothing else.  I learned my lesson not to trust anything else on YT a while ago, no matter how reputable they pretend to be.  I'm not saying there are not any other decent ones on YT, but for vids besides the ANA ones seems like it would just be like throwing darts blindfolded and hoping to hit the bullseye. :makepoint:

“Yayuss, brother. Can I get an amen?”

On 11/20/2022 at 11:28 AM, Hoghead515 said:

Talking bout one of these aint ya? This is the one I own. They aint that rare. You Tube is a horrible place for information. Theres good info on there but tons of misinformation. You can get on Ebay and buy one graded cheaper than you can get one graded. This one is high grade and made the full torch designation. Got it around $40. When you submit a coin not only do they charge a grading fee they charge for shipping and insurance. Not counting shipping and insurance sending it there. It cost me around $75 to $100 to have a coin sent in and graded. Grading is really just for high dollar coins and bulk submitters. The reason you see coins graded and at a good price is because most of them are sent in bulk by dealers at a discount. They send in 100 or so coins. Compress_20221120_122745_5842.thumb.jpg.63e2952f5c600248f479b899ba0bf00b.jpg

Are you putting together a 100 Greatest Modern U.S. Coins set? Sounds like fun. And a reason to get these slabbed. 

On 11/20/2022 at 9:01 PM, VKurtB said:

Are you putting together a 100 Greatest Modern U.S. Coins set? Sounds like fun. And a reason to get these slabbed. 

Im thinking about it in the near future. Thats why I picked that one out. We started letting each other pick our own Christmas gifts. 

On 11/20/2022 at 8:07 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Im thinking about it in the near future. Thats why I picked that one out. We started letting each other pick our own Christmas gifts. 

Now I’ve got to get that book. I have the 100 Greatest World Coins book but most of those are ultra-rarities or downright unique. Can’t collect those. 

On 11/20/2022 at 8:54 PM, EagleRJO said:

A far as videos on YT about coins I just stick with the ANA eLearning vids, since I know they will be good and reliable, and nothing else.  I learned my lesson not to trust anything else on YT a while ago, no matter how reputable they pretend to be.  I'm not saying there are not any other decent ones on YT, but for vids besides the ANA ones seems like it would just be like throwing darts blindfolded and hoping to hit the bullseye. :makepoint:

Thats what I was pretty much trying to say but didnt know how to say it. Who knows which ones are good or not. About 100 bad ones per one good one. Its pretty much useless trying to find that one good one. Thats what I hate about topics such as coins on there. Anyone who can upload a video can put it on there wether its true or not. 

On 11/20/2022 at 9:09 PM, VKurtB said:

Now I’ve got to get that book. I have the 100 Greatest World Coins book but most of those are ultra-rarities or downright unique. Can’t collect those. 

Several of the US ones are super rarities also. Wont be able to collect them all. But can some. 

On 11/20/2022 at 8:11 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Thats what I was pretty much trying to say but didnt know how to say it. Who knows which ones are good or not. About 100 bad ones per one good one. Its pretty much useless trying to find that one good one. Thats what I hate about topics such as coins on there. Anyone who can upload a video can put it on there wether its true or not. 

I once was able to change out an in-tank fuel pump on a 1995 Subaru with a YT video, but coins are a whole different matter. 

On 11/20/2022 at 8:12 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Several of the US ones are super rarities also. Wont be able to collect them all. But can some. 

I think that set would be almost impossible to finish and you would need some serious $$$ to do it. I mean, how many of those 2000 Sac mules are out there? Just a crazy set.

On 11/20/2022 at 9:13 PM, VKurtB said:

I once was able to change out an in-tank fuel pump on a 1995 Subaru with a YT video, but coins are a whole different matter. 

You tube is great for mechanic work. Ive watched several videos for different projects. But it irks me to see some of the coin videos. I quit watching them period now. Mechanic work is the only reason I click on you tube now. 

On 11/20/2022 at 8:15 PM, Lem E said:

I think that set would be almost impossible to finish and you would need some serious $$$ to do it. I mean, how many of those 2000 Sac mules are out there? Just a crazy set.

Isn’t one dude cornering the market on those mules?

On 11/20/2022 at 9:15 PM, Lem E said:

Yep. It would be fun to get the ones that are reasonable to get, but some are plain out impossible. For a guard rail installer anyways. 

On 11/20/2022 at 8:17 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Yep. It would be fun to get the ones that are reasonable to get, but some are plain out impossible. For a guard rail installer anyways. 

Ever get tempted to point one at an oncoming driver? 

On 11/20/2022 at 8:16 PM, VKurtB said:

Isn’t one dude cornering the market on those mules?

No idea. Way out of my league.