• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are your thoughts about clashed die coins?

15 posts in this topic

On 11/15/2022 at 4:58 PM, ldhair said:

Will a clash keep you from buying a coin?

No. An interesting clash will catch my attention and might make me more likely to buy a coin.

I don't, however, specifically seek out die clashes any more than I do other die states.

Same as above some are very cool and interesting but I don't seek them out, specifically for the clash.   I would say that there some coins, Lincolns actually, that I would avoid if the clash really interfered with the look and design of the coin.   I do find clashing on 3c silvers to often be rather charming, I have one or two but no photos of them to show the clash.

I enjoy the major clashes. I currently only have one and I found it in change on a 1966 quarter. It was a very interesting clash. I would be tempted to buy coins with major clashes but it seems all the very cool ones are being sold at very high premiums. Heres the one I found. I thought it was a neat find so I put it in a coin flip just to keep back in the collection. Lumii_20221115_194207210.thumb.jpg.47bb68241ba131158d29660bb07e8d89.jpg

I will add one thing: I really dislike when cutsie names are given to clashes and other die issues - like "Bearded Liberty" or "Spitting Eagle." I get why it is done. It is easier to recognize a coin by a name than it is by a description. If I say, "clash of the eagle's wing on the reverse, showing to the right of the portrait on the obverse," it may be hard to picture the coin. But, if I say, "Bugs Bunny," everyone knows it is a Franklin half. I also understand that these names sell coins and TPG labels. I just don't care for them.

On 11/15/2022 at 8:30 PM, ldhair said:

At one time I was really into collecting anything with a clash. This coin put me on that path. It was fun.

31.jpg

32.jpg

...one of the better known clashed dies as well....

On 11/15/2022 at 8:33 PM, Just Bob said:

I will add one thing: I really dislike when cutsie names are given to clashes and other die issues - like "Bearded Liberty" or "Spitting Eagle." I get why it is done. It is easier to recognize a coin by a name than it is by a description. If I say, "clash of the eagle's wing on the reverse, showing to the right of the portrait on the obverse," it may be hard to picture the coin. But, if I say, "Bugs Bunny," everyone knows it is a Franklin half. I also understand that these names sell coins and TPG labels. I just don't care for them.

Ive actually found a couple of the so called spitting eagle clashes also on quarters. The ones by the eagles beak. I forgot about those. But the one in the picture above is the best one I found. Its really neat. 

I guess I am the outlier here.  All my life I have bought things free of flaws and defects.  This extends to coins.  To me a clash signifies something negative:  "I don't want it because there is something wrong with it." That's my mind-set.  I think we are the only country in the world that recognizes defects, analyzes them, and congratulates others for acquiring them.  I have never encountered this terminology anywhere else.  Anyway, that's my take on clashes. Except for that British punk rock band in the 1970's.

Does that mean I have to turn over any clashed die coins to Hog if they come my way?  Yup, guess so. 😉 

On 11/16/2022 at 7:55 AM, ldhair said:

I don't own any coins that are free of flaws and defects. I'm ok with that.

Image_0917.JPG

Image_0921.JPG

Image_0913.JPG

Image_0924.JPG

...3 cent silvers n half dimes r notorious for clashed dies, mostly due to the thinness of the planchets n striking pressure n presumably the misfeeds of planchets into the dies....

On 11/16/2022 at 8:09 AM, zadok said:

...3 cent silvers n half dimes r notorious for clashed dies, mostly due to the thinness of the planchets n striking pressure n presumably the misfeeds of planchets into the dies....

[Who doesn't enjoy reading eye-witness accounts? Maybe I'll develop a new-found appreciation for these.]  :facepalm: